• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by toby.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing am I in trouble
  • stevedoc
    Free Member

So to be fair ive only been back into cycling this past 18 months and I have a couple of ok bikes , my Cube Ltd hardtail and my Whyte G 150 , well the 150 needed a new BB so with tools in hand and youtube a go how hard can it be !

Well after the first attempt to remove the BB with my Park tool I noticed the outer shell of the GXP (where the tool goes around ) had started to score as the BB is solid stuck (yes I was going in the right direction NDS a/c wise ) .Local tech guy called who came to work tools in hand today and tried with his Park tools ,well hes churned the bb beyond recognition and still no movement,

The bike is off to Earnshaws in Hudds tomorrow ,am I in trouble or am I looking at a new frame ,as my guess is when the BB was factory fitted it was never anti seized ,and any roughhousing to remove the BB will causes threading to the frame

That will teach me to have a go !

legend
    Free Member

Some careful cutting out of the bb and it’ll be fine

DezB
    Free Member

Both cups are seized?
    Clamp BB cup in a vice and use the frame as leverage? soak overnight in WD40?

I had to ditch a frame once for a seized BB, but that was before hollowtech.

stevedoc
    Free Member

The drive side popped off no problem the no drive side is being a right barsteward ! ,its been soaking today and fingers crossed tomorrow will be a better day at the Bike shop, hope so anyway I have a shiny new Hope BB to get in there

kayla1
    Free Member

Heat.

I had to warm the BB shell up on my ally frame to get the (OE) GXP cups out, then put the cups in a vice and turned the frame around the cups, which then went in the bin.

stevedoc
    Free Member

I have a new best friend , a recommended shop in Huddersfield removed the bb replaced with my hope bb indexed the gears and trimmed the chain to suit ,called me that’s A15 quid mate ! He got 20 and a case of beers, like a newun

pondo

Kudos, that’s why the LBS owns. 🙂

toby

If it’s any help, worst case scenario of a stripped BB on the frame – I was once given a rather nice frame by a friend who’d stripped the BB threads. £20 and a courier to Argos had the shell reamed out and a threaded sleeve bonded in.

So don’t panic just yet!

EDIT: Just checked the price list and it seems to be £90 these days(!) Still probably cheaper than a new frame. Other frame repair services are available. (I wonder if it’s gone up a lot, or if I mis-remembered.)

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Never underestimate leverage. Get somebody to hold the tool solidly on the BB and put a 4ft bar on the end.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Cheers Toby ,but my g150 is sat in my study as we speak , all done, fingers crossed something I wont have to mess with again in such a manner

toby

Glad to hear it’s sorted!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing am I in trouble’ is closed to new replies.