Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • A little annoyed (trail centre parking content)
  • tomaso
    Free Member

Some of the Lake District car parks now have revenue protection cameras fitted with number plate recognition cameras and you need to enter your reg to get a parking ticket 😯

therag
    Free Member

I think they’re a bargain, when I take the mrs to do the chrimbo in the city, it costs over a tenner to park and then I’ve got to pay for everything we do there too. £5ish to enjoy your hobby on purpose built trails is amazing compared to other sports.
    Car/bike track day from £50-£200
    Mx practice track £25-£40
    Watch rugby/football £10-£50
    Play golf £??

We got it pretty good?

aidanoggy
    Free Member

I’ve got a season pass for Dalby, £42 which is great value, as I probably go 40 times a year.

Compare this to two days parking at York station, which set me back £28.

joat

I have a Sherwood Pines season pass, the young lad at Dalby said he thought it WAS a Dalby one. And when I was still offering him money he refused and waved me through. Good lad. Seriously though, as I’m obviously not at Sherwood that day, why do I need to pay again. A bit of a discount would make sense to me. This would be beneficial to all centres and their local economies as a reciprocal arrangement I would have thought.

wookie
    Free Member

Should try Bedgebury, Kent sometime, £8.50!

More than happy to pay parking if the money goes towards trail upkeep but £8.50 for the muddiest ride ive ever done (and im used to welsh slop) was a bit to bloody steep imho.

orangetoaster
    Free Member

Motorists financial contribution to society significantly exceeds what they get out. Squeezing them further is unjustified.

bigblackshed

First time riding at The FOD yesterday. £3 or £20 season ticket to cover the local area. Bargain. Fun filled cheap day out IMO.

It was glorious in The FOD. Deathly quiet, pleasantly mild, trees and colours were marvellous. Shame that I didn’t get to hear the silence, cos some fat chuffer was breathing out of his arse most of the time. This SS malarkey is tough going. 😳

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Don’t get me started on this. People drive their £20k Audi 150 miles to ride their £3k bike then buy a tenners worth of cake and Monster, but park on the verge just outside the gate to avoid paying the cheapest bill of the day. Bear in mind it costs around £20 a meter to build a trail and even the parking charge at Bedgebury looks very cheap.

And yes, at Bedgebury the car parking fees as well as the season ticket money does go towards maintaining the site including the bike trails. The problem at Bedgebury is that the trail surface just sinks into the clay! But the 2 new sections (gloomy wood and the cake run) are still dry and solid. They were not cheap to build, but will last a lot longer than the “old” style of building…

mountainman

Local FC rail nant yr arayan ,i pay as think it only fare,although see lots of dog walkers come n go without paying.or is their dog poo there payment?

In Eire Ballyhoura trails ,barrier system in operation to get into carpark ,so no choice but to pay!
    Do we want this situ here ?

Stu_N

Shame we live in a society wher occupying land with a car is seen as a right. That is wrong.

£3 for a day at GT is a bargain. I am happy to pay that if it pays (in full or part) for the infrastructure. I hope the new enforcement policy is working for them, and especially they use it on **** that park a minibus and trailer across nine car spaces (yes I did count them).

stevewhyte
    Free Member

FC car parking is so cheap it’s an insult that folk don’t pay. It will not be long till the money dries up for these trails, then we will all be complaining.

yunki
    Free Member

well.. I’m well and truly insulted..

Just hopped in the car and up the road to the local FC trails, only to find that the verge and lay-by that I would usually park in have been well and truly blockaded with boulders and large carefully sculpted piles of earth..

I wouldn’t be quite so put out, but the car park is locked and gated after dusk

I’m not quite au fait enough with the route down to the bottom car park to chance it in the dark, and it doesn’t take a great deal to dissuade me from getting the bike out of the car when it’s pitch black and raining..
    So I tootled off home again frustrated..

I’m not sure what the reasoning for these prohibitive earthworks might have been as anyone usually parking there to avoid fees will now just park in the bottom car park instead.. unless they’ve blockaded that too.. 😕

kennyp
    Free Member

Motorists financial contribution to society significantly exceeds what they get out. Squeezing them further is unjustified.

Nonsense.

As for anyone out there who rolls up at an FC car park with their expensive bike and doesn’t bother paying……….go have a good long look at yourself in the mirror you miserable tight fisted little gits, then sod off and find some other sport. Mountain biking doesn’t want you. Seriously.

Sandwich

Thetford High Lodge has an hourly rate. A day there will cost £9.60 and its barrier controlled.

empireofthefun
    Free Member

I pay my season pass quite happily, it’s a bargain IMO .
    My riding buddy on the other hand has never paid ever but that’s his choice.
    Karma will get these tight **** in the end.

bigdonx
    Free Member

Regarding Golspie – as mentioned by the OP.

It’s private, not FC, which of course is irrelevant on whether you should pay or not, but if you join the local cycling club (£10), you can buy a season pass for Golspie (another £10).

Too cheap not too – I would guess many of the “locals” have this, and I would also guess that many of the cars you see parked there are “locals”.

That’s not to say that plenty people don’t pay who should – just saying it may explain the apparent tight arse Golspie issue.

Of course there are plenty tight arses up here too – just like the rest of the country. No smiley required.

br
    Free Member

Yunki – are you talking about GT?

nosedive
    Free Member

I went to Grizedale recently. £5.50 for a days parking, seems a total rip for such a crappy trail. I can understand why people would dodge it.

having said that one thing that really gets me is people parking in the passing bays at llandegla. parking is reasonable there especially considering how much work they put in and making it impossible to drive up the road seems really tight

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve got a season pass for Hamsterley as I use the place a fair bit – it means my tight mates always want to cadge a lift when we go.

Got another mate who always parked outside the forest at Bedburn and rode in to avoid paying the £3 – we’d then have to wait for him. After lots of comments he does now park with us and pay. Him and his wife have a household income of getting on for £100k!! Incredible.

yunki
    Free Member

Yunki – are you talking about GT?

Haldon

charliedontsurf

At moors valley near ring wood, I would park a mile away and ride into the Forrest with the kids. It’s actually less trouble, you are there to ride bikes anyway, and i saved a fiver, which got spent on ice creams at the visitors centre.

But a fiver for a great ride is a bargain. How far would that go at a fun fair?

£4,000 bike, £400 clothes, £40,000 car, £4 parking.

Do people skip the parking fees because is easy to avoid? Would you walk out the LBS without paying for an inner tube if you thought no one was looking?

properbikeco
    Free Member

FC charging for car parking is on a shoogley peg.

Despite the fact there is no legal requirement to pay the charge they insist on pressing on with it. When the land was taken for the construction of these forest, free public access and use was part of their founding principles.

Instead of being at loggerheads with people using this as a funding model, effort would be better directed at alternative added value ways of making money – e.g high quality maps, guided runs, showers etc.

Lets remember, a significant proportion of EU funding was acquired for this on the basis of improving health and tourism in these areas. I know they require constant upkeep too but this model of funding is unsustainable.

I’ve always thought a good idea would be a “friends of the 7stanes” membership, with some goodies, news/maps and some special offers being available to members as FC would likely get a better return.

Coyote
    Free Member

Don’t get me started on this. People drive their £20k Audi 150 miles to ride their £3k bike then buy a tenners worth of cake and Monster, but park on the verge just outside the gate to avoid paying the cheapest bill of the day.

Nail. Head. ****.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

too but this model of funding is unsustainable.

Eh! I can’t think of a better more sustainable way of funding the trails. It cost £3 for a days parking, seriously if people think that’s too much then they need to call it a day .

All the infrastructure needs upkeep from the trails to the car park and roads, kids play parks, BBQ areas. I get a lot out of the FC and m happy to pay my way.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘A little annoyed (trail centre parking content)’ is closed to new replies.