Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • a little advice plz
  • jakeg1
    Free Member

I have been a chef for over 10 years now, working in the high end pub trade! However 14 hour days 5 days a week and the endless amount of stress that comes with working in the kitchens is starting to take its toll! Time for change i think, i have no real qualifications as i went straight from school into the kitchens so finding a job is going to be difficult and i cant take time out to do a course as i need to keep earning! Has anyone else had any experiance with this situation or can anyone give me some advise on what to do! Cheers

yossarian
    Free Member

Basically if you can handle working in a professional kitchen you’ll find most other jobs a piece of piss.

Thought about going into education? Lots of opportunity in the post 16 sector. Go and teach your skills to the next generation AND go home at a reasonable time.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

My mate went into running a school kitchen, he left to go elsewhere, but he seems to always regret it. It was 40hour normal shifts, no weekends etc.

Sonething simikar to this.

http://www.indeed.co.uk/m/viewjob?jk=aa5d5a60dbbe54dd&from=serp

project
    Free Member

However 14 hour days 5 days a week and the endless amount of stress that comes with working in the kitchens is starting to take its toll!

Work 8 hours per day and let someone else have a chance of a job, your mangement is greedy.

Move on, the job will still be there when youve gone,somebody is always round to step into your shoes, probnably for worse pay and conditions.

paladin

Look into cooking on the rigs. Good money and 6 months off a year.

jakeg1
    Free Member

Theres no such thing as an 8 hour day in the pub or restaurant trade!! Theres 6 chefs where i work all doing the same thing too :-\ i have thought about going into education yes but again id need to do a course to get a teaching job! My head chef is actually leaving to do just that, has a job lined up in norfolk teaching chefs… rigs im not interested in, thought about that before but its just not for me!!

eskay

Go into the forces catering?

ski
    Free Member

Are you looking to do something completely different or related in some way?

Doing something you want to do and not something that you have to do, is such a gift.

I ended up doing 8 weeks of voluntary work in something I wanted to do and it paid off for me. Even though I had to sell some prized possessions (including bikes!) to fund it.

Go for it and good luck.

alanl
    Free Member

Where are you?
    I know of a job going in a pub in the east mids. Dead laid back place to work in, only open evenings and sunday lunch

kayak23

id need to do a course to get a teaching job!

Possibly but this is sometimes possible within the job. I was a cabinetmaker and got into teaching and did various qualifications while working. Pttls and dttls etc.. I work in a college, and it’s a great environment to be in over a ‘real’ job.

jakeg1
    Free Member

Yeah i think if i was to stay in the kitchens i wouldnt want to do it commercially anymore! So teaching wouldnt be a bad option! I just dont want to be a chef anymore really! Its a job that really wears you down physically and mentally

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘a little advice plz’ is closed to new replies.