Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • A IT Hive conundrum
  • 49er_Jerry
    Free Member

Hmm, a simple problem…., Apple Wifi without internet?
    A seemingly simple problem, with perhaps a simple answer

I have numerous Apple devices on a LAN both hard wired and connected by Wifi. Recent improvements from Apple now stop devices connecting by wifi to a network if an internet connection is not detected.

The network is on a mobile platform that operates 24/7 365, but has internet connection for maybe 60% of that time.

Is there a workaround that can be applied to a mac device / router that will allow devices to:-
    a. operate on the LAN when no internet is present
    b. seamlessly maintain connection to the LAN when the internet connectivity remains.

Any ‘relevant’ advice gratefully received.

somouk
    Free Member

I’m not aware of an issue with apple devices connecting to a LAN that has no internet connection, do you have a tech article link for that. There would almost certainly be a work around as well as a lot of places don’t have internet but will have a network.

If the router is always on and it’s just the internet that goes up or down then there shouldnt be an issue with the devices keeping their IP addresses and communicating with each other.

cranberry
    Free Member

Any ‘relevant’ advice gratefully received.

Don’t buy Apple.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Are you sure about this Jerry? Seems like any device has to first connect to the network before finding out if there’s a network connection.
    What router are you using, new airport extreme?

What are you trying to acheive in the periods when you’re out of range of mobile Internet?

sharkbait
    Free Member

It seems applying static ip adds for the router /gateway, device and dns servers may help but that may be a little tricky in your situation.
    Plus it may not solve the issue.
    [irrelevant]I’ve ditched iOS for android and am a happy camper[/irrelevant]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

One of those how does it know it’s still down things. I’m sure it was in an android setting where is basically swaps to mobile data when it’s faster/more consistent but still remains connected to WiFi as a network device.

jimwah
    Free Member

Been a while since I used iOS but does turning off ‘WiFi Assist’ help? This is/was the component that drops your WiFi in favour of 4G if there are connection problems detected.

allthegear
    Free Member

I have an Apple router and the internal network works perfectly fine if I disconnect the internet connection. It sounds like you have a badly configured network.

Rachel

andyfla
    Free Member

I have an Apple router and the internal network works perfectly fine if I disconnect the internet connection. It sounds like you have a badly configured network.
    Rachel

Yup, my network is fine between the macbook, mac mini and synology if i disconnect the internet connection from the router.

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

Thanks for the input. Have looked at WiFi assist and switched off.

The nub of the problem seems to be the sporadic nature of the connection. Satellite uplink (stupidly expensive) or GSM/LTE when in signal range.

It seems to be that Apple devices like to ‘check-in’ with momma (Apple…) for a moment when logging in. When they have a signal, they tend to stay logged in for between 1 hour and a couple of days. The only think that changes on the network is that there is not an internet signal.

Very difficult to replicate when there is a signal because there is a signal and it is needed for people to work. Very frustrating.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘A IT Hive conundrum’ is closed to new replies.