Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • A hybrid for the modern day?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

So wanting to move on from a 29 HT to something a bit more befitting of my gentile riding of late, this will entaile a carbon frame, flat bars, rigid forks & circa 40c tyres. I can see a myriad of compromises that use CX/ gravel frames, but they are all short in the TT, I can also see that a longer stem may give me a bit more effective tt, but then drop bars use a longer stem so how long would it need to be?
    In short what carbon framed flat bar bikes for cx/ gravel are out there?

Cheers.

benp1

Any particular reason for carbon?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

It’s light 😉

rossburton
    Free Member

Get a carbon HT frame that looks right and put a rigid fork on it?

qwerty
    Free Member

💡

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/urban/commuter/commuter-8-0.html

Its got some really nice details built in.

EDIT: OooPs its ally – but buy one anyway 😉

richardthird

Just add 20mm to stem.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Buts it’s more like 30 on a large frame!
    Currently looking at KTM frames, at less than a kilo they start in the right place.

jimdubleyou

Spesh do a Carbon Sirrus.

Is that the sort of thing you’re looking for?

ampthill

I think that the sirrus come up a bit short

I thought ninerbikes did a rigid carbon bike but I don’t think they do it anymore

jameso

A 650B carbon race MTB with a short fork and the right tyres could make a better bike for what you’re after than a CX frame. Would work better with a flat or swept bar and the 40c CX wheels would fit.

CraigW
    Free Member

Whyte Montpelier. It is carbon, and seems to be mountain bike geometry, so pretty long. http://www.whyte.bike/montpellier

molgrips
    Free Member

My rigid Salsa is my modern hybrid. Good on road, good off it, can do anything technical on it slowly. Superb bike, and it really could be one bike for everything.

Not carbon though. But I would recommend rigid 29er.

ampthill

Whyte Montpelier. It is carbon, and seems to be mountain bike geometry, so pretty long

Looks good to me

lardman
    Free Member

what you are looking for is pretty much what i settled on for my all purpose road/gravel/commute bike.
    An ‘On-one’ Lurcher 29er, with flat bar and rigid fork. I got a frame thats one size up from what i would ride off-road, but with a 70mm stem it’s just the right stretch in the TT.

Very light, and disks both ends, with a more stable feel than a similar road bike.
    Hope hubs with Stans Arch rims, carrying Spesh Trigger 35c cross tyres. It does most stuff well enough.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

That whyte looks just right, might be a bit tight for a 40c tyre with mud clearance though?

Otherwise spot on 😀

I have been doing this for a while now & I want something purpose built this time 😆

Anyone remember the opposition?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘A hybrid for the modern day?’ is closed to new replies.