Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • A great way to get a hand built frame…or a money pit?
  • eightyeight
    Free Member

Came across this on a funding website:

What are people’s opinion? Would you sink $2000 on a beta project for an un-proven frame?

In the words of Peter Jones, “I’m out”, but I do think it’s a great way to crowd source funding to compete with the Taiwanese giants

cookeaa

Would I spank 2K on a “Beta Prototype”?

No, mainly because I don’t have 2K to spare and I don’t really see much about that bike frame to mark it out from anything the established (Mass producing) manufacturers are already pushing.

But I do like the fact that they are trying to produce something outside of the normal channels, I would like for them to succeed, But I’m not chucking my own money in the hat…

What I would be more into (Although again not sure I’d stake my own cash necessarily) is something like the old Lahar DH bike, a properly different take on how to produce a DH bike incorporating a number of different ideas and Materials, it was pretty ahead of its time really, I know that particular mini-venture didn’t end well for all involved perhaps a better structured business plan and this sort of crowd sourced funding would have helped more… perhaps.

Funding is probably the biggest block these days for small businesses/start-ups in any field, being in quite a niche market probably doesn’t help so putting out small batch production runs (Higher COGs) of DH frames into an already pretty well catered for but relatively small/niche market is heaping a challenge on top of a challenge, with some extra challenge on the side really…

I do not predict success, I hope I’m wrong…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘A great way to get a hand built frame…or a money pit?’ is closed to new replies.