• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • A .gpx file editing question
  • IHN

If I have a .gpx file for a circular route, and I want to change where the start point is, can I just change the order of the waypoints in the file?

And would anyone care to recommend a .gpx editor (although they’re not exactly tricky, I could do it in Notepad/Excel I suppose)

ianfitz
    Free Member

I used bikehike a lot for this. You can reverse, cut and merge files (using the options submenu for some of those)

nickjb
    Free Member

You can open the file in a text editor (Notepad++ is quite nice) and move points around. It’ll mess the time stamps up but I don’t know if that’ll impact on anything. Only hard bit doing it this way is finding the new start point from the list on waypoints.

sirromj

You can open the file in a text editor (Notepad++ is quite nice) and move points around. It’ll mess the time stamps up but I don’t know if that’ll impact on anything. Only hard bit doing it this way is finding the new start point from the list on waypoints.

Yep done this, worked fine as a track/route to follow on my Garmin 510.

andyg1966

Does it matter where the start point is? Jump on your bike and follow the line.

The GPS won’t care where the start point is, and you can always add an extra waypoint manually for real start to get you directly back if needs be.

otsdr
    Free Member

Garmins also have the option of reversing the course when you start (at least 1000 does).

IHN

cheers all, I’ll download Notepad++ (I’d forgotten about that, great little text editor)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘A .gpx file editing question’ is closed to new replies.