Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • a good alternative to 29er salsa rims?
  • kimi
    Free Member

Hi all, its been a whle since i’v ridden so am a little out of touch with whats out there. I’m building up a Peregrine frame and would have liked to use some silver Salsa semi disc rims but they seem to have been discontinued.. does anyone know where i might find a pair and failing that what is a good alternative these days?

Stoner
    Free Member

take your pick

http://www.justridingalong.com/wheel-parts/rims.html?wheel_size=33

I like my Salsa rims (Semis and Gordos) but have now moved over to Stans on any new wheels I build.

OCB
    Free Member

Somewhat narrower at ~19mm, but maybe add Mavic A719’s to your list?

I’m using them on both my Peregrine and my Gryphon. 700×34, and 29×2.1 respectively – both sizes fit fine.

They build up well, and mine have proven to have been tough and reliable, but I guess they’ll never be the lightest wheels you’ll own. Retains a braking-surface, and quite possibly only available in black too these days …

Salsa appear to have archived their rims … the Semi was a good rim too (in my experience), hmm, not that’ll help you either of course, unless you can find someone with some in stock.

ton

no offence meant, but those folk at JRA are taking the piss with their prices shirley?
    a 29r rim is a 700c rim.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s116p0

the ones i use are 18 quid.

Stoner
    Free Member

£18 rims are in the 570g range, the Stans (for example) are closer to 380g. I consider Salsa Semis fairly good quality so was aiming at similar higher end rims.

But yes, cheaper 29er (700c) rims are available. I built a set on some Sunn Equalizers that cost about £20 each and have been fine.

Sam

If you want silver and aren’t too concerned about weight then those Halos are a good choice. Sadly although silver components appear to be making something of a resurgence, quality silver rims have not…

kimi
    Free Member

i found the semis at acivesport.co.uk but they were £90 each.. too much. and they have a pretty bad rep too. I forgot to mention silver and disc specific is sort of important.

ton

the rigida/alesa sputnik are the toughest 700c/29r rim i have ever used.
    strength over lightweight matters sometimes 😉

kimi
    Free Member

would a 35mm rim be a bit daft on a Peregrine? i’v seen the velocity P35 rim.. disk specific and silver but 35mm wide

jameso

P35s are brilliant for getting the best from your tyres at low pressure, esp on a rigid bike. A bit soft if you go too low psi but easily nudged back. 600g isn’t that light but not worth worrying about. Depends if you want that low pressure float and low rolling resistance, if not there’s less reason to use a wider rim. I like them.

Sam

would a 35mm rim be a bit daft on a Peregrine?

Yes – especially so if you don’t want to use 2″ wide tyres.

kimi
    Free Member

i would be looking to run 2″ wide tyres but still.. praps a bit over specified for the Peregrine

shortcut

DT470’s seem to work well and good value.

kimi
    Free Member

anyone know anything about the H+Son Todestrieb? cant find out much about them

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘a good alternative to 29er salsa rims?’ is closed to new replies.