Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • a general question – Why are people in such a flippin rush!
  • amedias
    Free Member

I mean, in general it seems everyone is in a rush in every aspect of their lives these days, why/how has this happened?

I understand the arguments from increased availability of information at the tip of the fingers, and general pace of life, but it seems to permeating further and further into society and behaviour in general.

I’m not sure this such a good thing :-s

wwaswas

[edit] oh, “I’m not reading all that stuff” abbreviation is swear filtered.

Which rather spoils the point of the post. Oh well, move along.

jimjam
    Free Member

Haven’t got time for this.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I used to get the train to London once or twice a week for work. When I stepped off the train in Paddington it was like I was walking in a dreamy surreal slow motion down the platform, with everyone stomping past in an enormous hurry to get to the next queue. I don’t know why the world is in such a hurry, but I’m glad I don’t live in London, I just couldn’t keep up with the pace of life 😀

amedias
    Free Member

Haven’t got time for this

got time to post though 😛

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I blame Strava.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not everyone!

People are getting more stuff done, this is a good thing. Some people like being busy.. the only problem is when people are forced to be busy and in a rush when they don’t want to be.

I used to eat lunch at my desk whilst working. This wasn’t because I was under huge pressure or working too hard – it was because I could get my hours in and get back to my family earlier. I’d rather spend time with them than the schmucks I work with.

binners

I’m not in a rush. Ever. Everything about me is slow.

Cougar

Why are people in such a flippin dither? I mean, in general it seems everyone is in a wandering daze in every aspect of their lives these days, why/how has this happened?

It’s all relative, innit. My natural walking pace is “London Tube Station”, I spend half my life internally monologuing “comeoncomeon getoutofthebloodyway” as a woman and her kid manage to single-handedly (double-handedly?) block off a 7′ wide double doorway, pavement or supermarket aisle. I’ve things to do! Places to be! Complaining on the Internet to be doing!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I don’t know, but we use cars to rush about in – to such an extent of late that it keeps my road-miles by bicycle confined to nocturnal jaunts on country lanes or paths. Have been punish-passed and cut in front of so many times lately that the fear of death-by-delinquent-driver is winning. Have to make mental notes of footpaths that connect A roads to lanes. It wasn’t always like this, and I don’t see it changing direction. Does anyone?

Sincerely – the Nightcrawler.

mrjmt
    Free Member

‘We’re just a minor threat…’

Denis99
    Free Member

I find it ironic that our lives have been “improved” by time saving practices / vehicles/ utilities / on line stuff.

Yet we are in a greater rush than ever……

ads678

“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around for a while, you could miss it.” – Ferris Bueller

globalti
    Free Member

I think it’s a cold climate thing. I walk briskly so as to generate warmth and spend as little time as possible outdoors in office clothing. When I go to Africa I have to slow down and adopt the African amble; hurrying just overheats you. It’s quite irritating when we have African visitors here and they stroll so slowly around and get up late even though you’ve agreed a time to leave their hotel. The word “mañana” has an air of catastrophic urgency for most of my African customers and colleagues.

dereknightrider
    Free Member

Rush? What rush, have you tried driving round the M25 then down the M20 lately?

You need to go on one of them there speed awareness courses.

Four more hours of your life wasted

badnewz
    Free Member

Check out the Slow Movement.
    I’m naturally lazy so it suits me.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

A mate commented the other day on his age: “64! Bloody hell…”

I (being of a similar dotage) said “Yeah. Wooooosh! What was that? That was your life. Oh great, thanks. Wish I’d been paying more attention…”

molgrips
    Free Member

I find it ironic that our lives have been “improved” by time saving practices / vehicles/ utilities / on line stuff.

Yet we are in a greater rush than ever……

In a rush to do stuff we want to do that we now have time for.

Online stuff is fantastic. I used to have to dedicate a lunch hour to go to the bank – now I can do it in the evening at home and go for a run at lunchtime instead.

wwaswas
    zilog6128

I (being of a similar dotage) said “Yeah. Wooooosh! What was that? That was your life. Oh great, thanks. Wish I’d been paying more attention…”

Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

br
    Free Member

IME It’s an urban thing.

Life in the country feels a lot more relaxed, even if it isn’t.

And this is doing the same job, just in a rural location.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Malvern Rider: Have you seen this?

Oh fresh hell I have now! Off to sort…thnks

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

So you said.

GregMay
    Free Member

Only moved out of Manchester to avoid the rushing, I still work here, but live outside where it is a lot slower*. I much prefer it. It stuns me everyday how people are moving and being plain rude to people in their way.
    Luckily I work in academia so the pace of work is slow here too 🙂

*Life may be slower but the riding is far better and faster. Long live the Valley.

Solo
    Free Member

Being in a rush, it’s a lifestyle thing. Just as much as for those who seek to move/get shit done slowly, if at all.

It only becomes an issue when both meet, like some sort of cataclysmic collision between celestial bodies.

Personally, I never understood those who can’t sit and look out the window and enjoy the view and some time for calm contemplation about whatever is on their mind. Seems an ever growing phenomenon, people feeling the need to be listening to music while trying to read, or that they feel they need to somehow distract/bombard themselves with sensory inputs, from the moment they wake until they fall to sleep.

It ain’t for me and I pity those who can’t tolerate the calm and the peace. That was always one of the most attractive features of MTB.
    Using a bike to take me away from the Madness.

Sandwich

Twice in the last week I have had some nice lady in a Nissan overtake and then stop to turn right to park said beast in the school car park. Third time I’m following her in for a chat about courtesy and sharing the space.

It’s slightly irksome that.

BadlyWiredDog

Capitalism – you create a world that’s driven by the need to make money, satisfy investors, create growth, which in turn creates a pressured work environment, culture, society. You add in information overload for good measure. And there you go. A life spent moving information instead of simply moving.

I kind of like this Will Gadd take on it.

[video]http://vimeo.com/74389041[/video]

Solo
    Free Member

BWD.
    Interesting Video, however, I would temper that message with an addition. Sometimes it’s just as fruitful to stop, and exercise the mind.

He made a good critique:
    we’re trying to be busy, instead of be alive

I feel each decade, 20s, 30s, 40s, etc, brings with it a different perspective on life and so for each of us, a different ideal about how we aspire to live our lives.

Anyway:

BadlyWiredDog

I blame mindfulness for the obesity epidemic. Too many people sitting around meditating when they could be riding their bikes or going for a run 😉

BadlyWiredDog

More seriously, I think you can run/walk/bike in a mindful way. It’s a chance to create space to be without all the classic modern distractions.

Solo
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog – Member

I blame mindfulness for the obesity epidemic. Too many people sitting around meditating when they could be riding their bikes or going for a run

I would suggest that a balance, a “sweet spot” if you will. Is probably best. And of course, for each of us, that will mean different things.
    I find those who believe they aint cool, if they’re not constantly moving, to be a bit silly TBH, very 2000s.
    It’s a sort of cardio addicts snobbery.
    Ooo, look at me fat boy, I’m always doing something, always on the move. Aren’t I cooooool
    Actually, no!

Quality of life really isn’t just about how fat or thin you are, nor is it a competition about who is the busiest/in the greatest rush. imo.
    But hey, that’s just me.
    😉

GregMay
    Free Member

I think the Will Gadd video puts it well with the idea of focusing on the things that aren’t important is the problem. I think this is why most people rush around – I need to get there, I need to buy this, I need to check my mail.

It’s all BS. All you need to do is breath, eat, drink and procreate. Everything else is filler for the time you’re alive for. Why waste it pretending you need to do carp that makes you rush around. Enjoy it and slow down. May as well, you only get to do it once.

pennine
    Free Member

When you have too many years behind you than in front – why would you want to go slow! 😉

btw slightly older than MrWoppit

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

When you have too many years behind you than in front – why would you want to go slow!

Weirdly, I took a ‘year out’ and lived at snail’s pace largely off-grid, and it seemed like 3 years passed. Maybe that’s why? Smell the roses etc…

Conversely, our kid ‘did Europe’ which we soon learned consisted of driving very quickly from border to border, staying in hotels and hostels, taking pics of the odd mountain or building from the car window, getting robbed at one hostel and then returning claiming to have ‘experienced Europe and it was shit.’

We just smile and nod – another benefit of age/senility (delete as and where applicable) 😉

djambo
    Free Member

everyone needs to start their day with a bit of oscar and the count…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3drqJ1bUmEA[/video]

the world would be much more chilled!

Solo
    Free Member

When you have too many years there are more years behind you than they are ahead of you – why would you want to go slow!

1: The end is certain, doesn’t matter how fast or slow I think I’m living it, it will end anyway.

2: For the same reason I drink my pint or a glass of wine slowly. I enjoy them more when I do.

Speed, in the 21st Century is way over rated. Appropriate at times, even exciting. But at each and every moment? No thanks.

richmars

People rush because it makes them feel important.
    Time is money etc, so if you’re only going to get a coffee, you rush, because important people rush, and you like to think you’re important.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Time’s Money! But not because people think they’re important, Its survival!

bikebouy
    Free Member

#Jeremy Clarkson face

Get outa my way stupid

#End of Jeremy Clarkson face

NewRetroTom

I thought this was quite an interesting analysis. Economist

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘a general question – Why are people in such a flippin rush!’ is closed to new replies.