Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • A few things I'm wondering if any phones can do…
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

Having given up on the chance of a rugged touchscreen phone arriving to replace my 5500 Sport, I'm gonna bite the bullet and get a normal flashy phone built for cafes.

So HTC HD2, iphone, desire…something like that

Just wondering if y'all have day to day experince of these things working well-

online banking…(A&L, Natwest) secure enough to login? How about the 'rapport' security add on

Decent PDF reader…(Symbian one is shockingly lame)

OS Maps…I use viewranger which is hopefully coming out soon for android & iphone

Spotify/Internet radio….I know it's possible but any annoying problems?

Thanking you

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Oh and I love Xmarks in firefox, would be great to work on the phone too

Nick

I only have experience of Windows Mobile, it's crap. Do all 'smart' phones suffer from awful battery life, the two I've had do.

Not a fan.

GrahamS

I would have thought most smart phone would satisfy this.

Certainly the iphone is as fine as any other mobile device for online banking, can read PDFs, has OS map apps (though potentially costly), has a Spotify app (for paid Spotify members), and plenty of streaming internet radio apps.

Browser is Safari rather than Firefox, but it pretty good (though some Flash support would be nice).

J0N
    Free Member

HTC Hero Here. Its a bit laggy at times but its great. has GPS, route tracking and loads of other apps. its not as user friendly as the Iphone but its half the price to own. I believe the newer more powerful android phones will be even closer to the iphone in terms of speed.
    N.B. The new windows mobile 7 OS looks interesting.

tomdebruin
    Free Member

the iPhone can sync with your computer for bookmarks, so if you have xmarks for safari it will all sync up. I've got xmarks for chrome too.

BoardinBob

RBS app on iphone for secure banking on the move

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Aha yes I've seen the app for that!

Tom could you sync a xmarks safari iphone to a xmarks firefox PC then?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

WM7 looks really nice but I can't wait til sept.
    None of these online banks reject you for logging in on a phone web browser?

maxray
    Free Member

MIght be worth holding off if it is not essential you get one right this minute. Although they will support windows 6.5 mobile their efforts are going to be focued on version 7 which I am led to understand will be a whole load better than 6.5

The HTC Legend comes out mid April and will be running the latest Android OS, I think I have finally come down to that, the iPhone was tempting but for £35pm for 2 years I kind of want a flash on my phone!

GrahamS

NatWest and Egg don't for iPhone. Why would they? Probably more secure than PC-based internet access, no?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Yes same here maxray, I need Flash whatever it is.

Just thought of another one…
    Bluetooth APT-X. I want bluetooth audio but I know it's a bit crap. This is a codec that is being used more and more in certain recevers. Can it be transmitted from a phone?

Jamie
    Free Member

(though some Flash support would be nice).

-1 for this statement.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nokias support bluetoth audio, it's apparently good.

lowey

HTC Hero here. Cant fault it to be honest. Battery life is much better than I expected. Can usually eek out 2 days using gps, wifi, calls etc etc.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

NatWest and Egg don't for iPhone. Why would they? Probably more secure than PC-based internet access, no?

I didn't know if the browsers support high enough encryption. Have you tried installing rapport?

dave_aber
    Free Member

E71 bluetooth audio sounds good.

Battery life is 3-4 days too.

Horses for courses really. Don't think I could be doing with the battery life on an iPhone, and I can't see that it would be so easy to send SMS and update facebook whilst driving on a touchscreen.

May well be upgrading to a E72 soon.

CountZero

Horses for courses really. Don't think I could be doing with the battery life on an iPhone, and I can't see that it would be so easy to send SMS and update facebook whilst driving on a touchscreen.

jeesus, I hope you missed out a winky at the end of that sentence, otherwise you're a Class A, gold-plated tosser.
    And the battery on an iPhone is no worse than other smart phones, they all suffer if you use all the facilities available, particularly 3G. As each generation comes out, battery tech improves and life gets better. I use Deal Extreme iPower battery packs on my iPhone as I use it all the time, often with streaming radio, which will really hit the battery on 3G, that's the way it is. My old Nokia N95 would die after two hours playing music on the memory card, and GPS would kill it in less time. My iPhone's a 3G, the 4G that replaces it will almost certainly have double the battery life. I'm using Memory Map Free at the moment, which seems to be pretty good, tho' I've not tracked a route on the bike yet. It'll be interesting to see what View Ranger come up with.

GrahamS

I didn't know if the browsers support high enough encryption. Have you tried installing rapport?

It's 128-bit encryption. I doubt most financial websites would allow a 40-bit level these days.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2573

Rapport isn't required. There is no malware or browser hijacks on the iPhone for it to protect you from.

nixie

HD2 lets me log into Lloyds. Not sure about the rapport software though. The PDF reader is good and after you put the tweek in 9 tabs in opera is too

GrahamS
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘A few things I'm wondering if any phones can do…’ is closed to new replies.