Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • A Few Questions Regarding A New Build
  • GSuperstar
    Free Member

Hello to all

Ok, I have decided to build up a bike in the hope that i'll learn some knowledge on how everything works, compatibility aspects and giving me an easier ability to fix things when circumstances arise etc etc

I've bought a frame and other parts, and every month buying little bits and pieces to what will hopefully end up being a finished working bike 🙂

I've tried to read as much as i can online but some things i just can't find, so i was wondering if people have the time to chip in with their knowledge.

Firstly, i'm looking at running just a 2 ring crank, are there special shifters needed for when only using two rings? In my head still haveing the '3rd' shifting option could cause problems??

Secondly, do most components work with each other? In the sense, if i was to have SLX Shifters, with an XT front derailleur and RaceFace crank? (These are just an example i dont own these parts, it's more the principle) that despite being different brands still work in unison? Rear derailleur included in this question.

Thirdly, i've read that steerers can be 1/5th or 1/18th in size (Or somewhere close to that 🙂 ), is there a reason for the different sizes? Does one offer more structural strength etc. Also along with this, are adaptors available to change?

Lastly (I'm sure there were more but as i'm sat down and my minds gone blank this shall be the last), does an FSA BB (Currently in the frame i purchased) work with Race Face crank sets? Or any others for that matter?

Thank you very much if anyone has the time to answer any of these. I've read up quite religiously on finding things out but these few are just to clear up speculation i have 🙂

Thanks

TomO

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Ok here goes,
    For the 2-3 ring setup, you can just use a normal front shifter and wind in the stops to prevent over shifting.

Most bits of a drivetrain work together, excepting shifters/mechs, where they need to be matching sets (ie SRAM shifter and mech, or Shimano, the ones you should be looking at pricewise will be either 1:1 or 2:1 actuation and these arent cross compatible.) Complete drivetrains are designed to work together though, so will usually be a safe bet.

Steerers come in all sorts of sizes (well at least 5, historically). Check your frame, itll more than likely be 1 1/8th ", and thatll be the steerer you need. 1.5" and Tapered can be spaced down, but this isnt likely for you, unless youve gbought something exotic.
    Obviously the bigger the stronger/Stiffer, (assuming all other variables the same, but theres nothing wrong with 1 1/8th " ime.)

FSA BB will only work with FSA and SHimano Cranks (if we're talking external BB). Raceface have smaller non drive side bearings, and need an adaptor to work.

Think thats it.

RealMan
    Free Member

Steerers come in 1 AND 1/8 of an inch, or 1 AND 1/2 of an inch. Some DH bikes come with the bigger headset, but most bikes have the normal 1 1/8.

With a 2 ring chainset (there was a big thread on them just a few moments ago) you can use a triple front mech. I use a xt front mech, and you just lock it out so it cant do that extra shift. Works perfectly, and is easy to do.

Different shifters wont work with different rear mechs though, so LX shifters wont work with sram rear mechs, and vice versa.

Secondly, do most components work with each other? In the sense, if i was to have SLX Shifters, with an XT front derailleur and RaceFace crank

That would work fine, cranks don't effect the choice of mech or shifter, unless you get something really weird.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Ok, I have decided to build up a bike in the hope that i'll learn some knowledge on how everything works

A very good philosophy IMO.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Thank you very much for the fast replies, and for the in depth explanations of them, have literally cleared up everything i needed to know 🙂

I feel simply sticking to one set may be the ultimate idea here for me, if i have SLX rear and front derailleurs, with SLX shifters nothing can really go wrong.

Buzz- Hopefully my philosophy will benefit me more than hinder 🙂

Thanks again

firestarter
    Free Member

not sure about the crank bb that phil mentioned as i have an fsa crank with shimano bb and a shimano crank with raceface bb and they both work fine

poppa
    Free Member

If you stick to all Shimano for your drivetrain, you will be able to mix Deore XT, SLX, Deore and XTR at will: cranks, shifters, mechs etc.

I have LX cranks, SLX shifters and mechs and an XT cassette. Oh, and my chain is SRAM 🙂

To be honest if you have any questions just ask here, that's what I do!

GhostRider
    Free Member

I've been bodging for a while and am just about to try and build a bike all i need is a frame' forks and wheels appart from those bits i seem to have collected enough bits to form a complete bike.

The things i'm not confident with are fiddling with bottom bracket bearings / seatings and fitting new head sets. The rest is just trial and error and speaking to nice bike shop people.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘A Few Questions Regarding A New Build’ is closed to new replies.