Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • a few pics for stuartie_c and druidh (and anyone else). dark(ish) side
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks for the advice on Strath Rusdale

have just got back from an incredible week in Sutherland, we were rewarded for still going despite the forecast by a week of sunshine and tailwinds

pics here

Strath Rusdale:

Sutherland Easter 09 -11

grumm
    Free Member

Looks fantastic. Where did you sleep? I’m guessing you didn’t have full camping gear in there. Going to try and do something similar this summer.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

hotels/b&bs and Carbisdale Castle SYHA

i can’t get enough of northern Scotland

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

so that’d be

Inverness
    Tain
    Bonar Bridge
    Lochinver
    Richonic
    Carbisdale
    Inverness

druidh
    Free Member

Some absolutely superb photos there. They remind me that, while some folk are still planning their foreign holidays, I’m still in love with, and desperate to see every inch of, my own.

Thanks for sharing

epicyclo

Aye, it’s hard living up here…

Good photographic essay, makes me want to jump on my bike and go for a wee ride.

The hills may be steep but it’s made up for by the nice cooling headwinds 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks, no worries.

what I find so great about making the effort to go that far north is that so few other people do. it’s a toss up between something like a Scotland end to end with various add ons or France by ferry/bike for the summer trip and Scotland is looking good at the moment!

I found myself stomping up climbs with a sense of anticipation to what was around the next headland/over the next summit

devs
    Free Member

Nice pics. Felt kinda smug the other day when some one had the chance to do Thetford on a work trip. I can do anything between Aviemore , Wick and Aberdeen if I put the bike in the van!

radoggair
    Free Member

The weed in your garden need attended too 😆

Swello
    Free Member

Fantastic photos of one of my favourite parts of the country – inspirational stuff 🙂

13thfloormonk

Beautiful!

What roads did you take out of Inverness?

matt_outandabout

Oh, nice, very envious.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks for the comments

13thfloormonk – followed sustrans route 1 out of town then north east into and back out of the Black Isle to Dingwall. Then headed along the coast and over to Tain which was a real surprise, i think some of the forestry there is as close as I have seen to old growth natural Scottish forest

ART

Absolutely stunning, doesn’t get better than that. Can hardly wait till June when we are packing up and making our annual road trip north. Totally agree, there’s so much in this country to see. 😀

fizzer
    Free Member

Aye it’s a bonnie place all right

my spiritual home

99percentchimp
    Free Member

Really nice photos and an excellent distraction – currently further north and stuck offshore!
    Fantastic weather and the beaches look great. Takes me back to boyhood holidays up there… photo essay cheered me up no end. Ta!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

here’s the route for those interested

[EDIT] changed to correct route

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

superb set of photos there Mike, looks like you had a great week 8)

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks

we did 🙂

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Michael, these are brilliant photos which really capture the emptiness of Sutherland. I love the one of the stove with Ardvreck Castle in the background.

Looks like you got pretty good weather as well – I spent the same week riding around Fort William area and it was… mixed, shall we say.

Glad you enjoyed it – looks like the effort paid off!

damitamit
    Free Member

Looks great.

How many miles was it in total?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

280 miles, 21000ft of climbing. I’d give you more stats but my gps is playing up and won’t give me the details.

we did between 43 and 53 a day, I’d love to have had the time to extend it up to the north coast. there’s always next time.

druidh
    Free Member

Michael – I’m planning a North West Coast tour later this year. Probably starting at Lochcarron, taking in all the squiggly bits to Lairg and then heading for either Thurso, JoG or Lairg. I only hope I get your weather 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

sounds great, I really want to investigate resources as to which of the marked passes on the OS maps are actually navigable without monster pushes and also which of the fire roads link up, they are all numbered so a map would be an awesome tool

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – I’ll be going on road all the way…

As for the off road “passes” it seems to be a bit of a lottery. Geograph is a good site, as is just asking on here.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

there are a few places where being able to pop over one of the passes opens up a whole new area, but the roads are so quiet most of the time anyway.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

that geograph site is amazing, but i just want to go back now 🙁

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘a few pics for stuartie_c and druidh (and anyone else). dark(ish) side’ is closed to new replies.