Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • A few piccies from the Conwy ride today
  • Vortexracing

4 of us rode the near 19 miles from the mother in laws caravan at Conwy over the mountain and back down.

proved to be an Epic and really hardwork. Over 4000feet in 19 miles.

heres a couple of photos.

Looking back towards the Great Orme

Paul pointing out Drum mountain. Glad we decided not to try it.

View down the valley towards Llanrwst

some more here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17059060@N00/sets/72157616557965138/

terrahawk
    Free Member

Looks good. Got any details of the route?

Russell96

Looks like the North Wales Coastal path up above Llanfairfechan to Conwy and Roman Road between the top car park and the YHA down towards Rowen. Here’s a link to a route that includes all of that and Drum Mt >>

Col’s Drum Mt route

Ace part of N.Wales to go riding but it can be evil round there I’ve ridden up to the top of Drum in 90+ heat and turned blue in July at the crossroads and thought better of going to the top.

MrOvershoot

I see from the pictures you did that lovely climb up to Rowen 😉

Should have gone up Drum, picture taken 3/4 of the way up in 2005

deft
    Free Member

Did anyone wall ride that rock? Had my eye on it for weeks!

Vortexracing

Yip the route is from the flattyres site. But started at the seaside.

Yeah attempted the road climb to the YH at Rowen, was quite chuffed that I made the first bit, only to find the 1 in 4 bit was the 2nd part.

That bit I walked, even that was hardwork. Tom made it all the way though. oh to be 24 again. 🙂

No we did’nt ride that wall, it does look tempting though. Might try it next time I go up.

The maps are part of the set on Flickr if you want larger sizes of them, just use the link at the top of this thread.

Lovely area and so much quieter than the lakes. only 1hr and 10 from Preston, now the Queensferry link is finished.

That drop through the wood near to Gwern Borter, is fantastic, rocky and steep with switchbacks, just like Spain.

MrOvershoot

Yeah attempted the road climb to the YH at Rowen, was quite chuffed that I made the first bit, only to find the 1 in 4 bit was the 2nd part.

That bit I walked, even that was hardwork. Tom made it all the way though. oh to be 24 again.

Yep its a right grunt for those of us carrying more than we need, one of our lot even decided to get a ride in a helicopter rather than do the hill

He still did in the end though

Vortexracing

That don’t look good. What happened

Russell96

He had an argument with a Landy, rescue chopper nearly burnt out it’s engine lifting him. Seriously thou locals were fantastic, police + ambulance were there v/quick and the helicopter crew flew underneath trees to get to a landing spot and then reversed back out under the trees before they could gain height again.

Then as some of us had ridden down into the village to direct the ambulance up as quickly as possible, we had to ride (push) up that sodding hill again and it must be 1 in 3 in places.

Vortexracing

Hope is ok now.

That bloody hill seemed to go on forever

MrOvershoot

Vortexracing – Member

Hope is ok now.

That bloody hill seemed to go on forever
    That’s him pushing in the second picture when we re-ran the ride 2 months later.

As Russ said some of us (the 2 biggest) went all the way back to the main road to make sure the ambulance didn’t miss the turning. Then of course we had to grind all the way back up again!

We usually do this ride as Russ’s birthday ride and every year we have some form of epic issues 😯
    2005 – 20+ punctures
    2006 – 32deg heat & we all ran out of liquid an hour before the end
    2007 – Smashed rear mechs + freezing cold rain nearly leading to hypothermia.
    2008 – CP gets a ride in a helicopter after flying over the bonnet of a Landy
    2009- ?

Still you get some stunning views and the descent from the top of Drum @777 meters to Llanfairfechan @100m in 5km is fantastic.
    Here’s a few pictures from some of the years

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Nice stuff! That’s actually one area outside the M25, that I’ve ridden in!

My mate Welsh Kev lives up there, in Deganwy. Don’t know if you’ve met him? Rides a green RM Vertex, with black Rebas. Used to be bionickev off here. If you’se live up there, and ride a bit, then maybe he could hook up with you lot?

Nice area, that. I hope to be able to visit this summer, as part of my Rude Tour of Britain.

zokes
    Free Member

This is one of my favourite local rides, and we always manage to find the hottest day of the year to ride up that sodding hill, having run out of water too!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have had many class nights out in Llanfair (bank holiday footie matches till we got to old)and really love the little place and still go every year. Sadly my mates there are not cyclists so never ridden it

Vortexracing

If we have another go at it, i’ll give you a shout John

Junkyard
    Free Member

yeah I will be walking company for you?

chunkypaul
    Free Member

you buggers! always taking piccies of me when i’m pushing me bike! 😉

vortex – you should do drum mountain, its a cracking climb and a fast DH

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Did you see lots of new baby animals? I went once in April, and there were loads of little labs about, and a pony with her baby foal. So cute. Makes you realise why you have to protect nature.

Lovely place, that. Must say, I do get a bit jealous of welsh |kev, from time to time.

Vortexracing

Yip lambs are everywhere, There are loads of wild horses about, on top of Conway mountains and over near to the small reservoirs.

Only ever seen the one on Conwy Mountain before yesterday. Pheasants a plenty too.

MrOvershoot

chunkypaul – Member
    you buggers! always taking piccies of me when i’m pushing me bike! [;)]

Or lying on the ground with young ladies holding your head 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘A few piccies from the Conwy ride today’ is closed to new replies.