Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • A few damaged spokes one already snapped!
  • Suggsey
    Free Member

Following an XT mech folding itself in half last week I thought I had got away with minimal damage to the wheel as the mech clattered the spikes right on the cross over point 29er stock wheel from a Boardman Pro, by the way. Last night after about ten miles I had the worst damaged spoke snap at the point I knew it was damaged…. No drama, wrapped it round adjacent spoke and carried on. By the end of last nights ride, it sounded to me like there was another four or five spokes singing and pinging but no deflection of rim and none that felt loose…
    Now I was just going to just have the one spoke replaced but does STW think it’s better to bite the bullet and have it completely re strung with all new spokes especially as I had set it up tubeless using gorilla tape and it pees me off wasting sealant and gorilla tape for another spoke to go next week.
    Or do I just surreptitiously obtain a UST rear wheel replacement…..the original freehub or axle has a tiny amount of bend in it as it can be seen moving in and out of alignment and the wheels aren’t light by any stretch of the imagination………
    Or great deals on 29er wheelsets 😆

spicer
    Free Member

Just change all the damaged spokes, cheap and wont take long. They’ll just break later anyway (I’ve been there!)

mrblobby
    Free Member

For the price of spokes I’d just replace the lot.

Northwind

Personally I’d change any bad looking spokes. It’s really easy to replace a single spoke generally, so worth considering that instead of taking it to a shop- and well worth learning how as otherwise it’s a pain in the arse when they break.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘A few damaged spokes one already snapped!’ is closed to new replies.