Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • A few Android smartphone questions
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I broke my Motorola Moto E (I think) 2nd Generation earlier and need a replacement. I don’t know what to replace it with, it’s a bit overwhelming and I don’t have a clue as to what’s good, or not.

I could probably just get the same again but the camera is poor. So is there anything around the same price (£150 or less) that’s worth a look? Must be available from a UK retailer, and unlocked (or on the Giffgaff network).

I know there’s some people on here who know their phones.

Does anyone know how to retrieve data from a broken phone? It was still making messaging noises but the screen is smashed. I think some of it might be backed up on google but I’m not sure what, or how to find it. Can do photos and that as they’re on an SD card, but Whatsapps, texts, contacts etc I’m not sure.

Any help appreciated.

David

seosamh77
    Free Member

If you had a moto E, get a motoG4 or 5(There’s not much difference). It’s a much better phone.

think you can get the g5 for £129 just now.

fisha
    Free Member

When you plug it into a pc, it should show both the phones storage and the SD card storage. You would basically get access to all the filesystem which you could copy out.

How to do that for texts and WhatsApp I don’t know.

Not just replace the screen on the phone?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thanks bud, yeh I did try and do some research and the motoG sounded like one of the best options due to price and a better camera aswell.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Not just replace the screen on the phone?

Yeh, I replaced the screen a while ago and it was fine, but over the last few weeks it’s been acting up, like and invisible man was operating the phone and opening and closing apps etc. I just lost the will earlier and broke it, so I CBA really trying to repair it only for it to happen again.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Think the google back up will put apps and stuff back on, won’t put the photo’s on i don’t think, though you should have sent them straight to google photo rather than keep them on the phone anyhow.(check see if they are on google photo’s case you set it up and don’t remember. Otherwise, as mentioned just a case of pluging the SD card into a read and seeing if your stuff is there.) The phone is one area where you should just sent everything to the cloud, don’t store anything on it.

as for what’s app history, it might come back when you restore, might not, can’t remember tbh, think it might, but it’s been a while since I moved phone..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, it’s such a ballache doing this sort of stuff. I imagine it’s really straight forward but I’ve never really looked into how it all works. I know the Apple stuff goes onto the cloud and I think my pictures are backed up anyway, was kinda hoping txts and contacts would be aswell.

seosamh77
    Free Member

tbh, I can’t really remember, they might be, just going to have to see what restore does when you get a new phone.

Infact, think what I had to do was use an app to transfer over old messages and what’s app history via bluetooth(or wifi, can’t mind). So you might want to try and get the broken phone working to some degree.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

nightmare! Will probably sack it then I guess

stumpy01

Photos – plug your phone into a computer and just navigate the folders like you do with any plug-in device…copy them off and save them.
    To find them all, search for *.jpg from the top level of the phone internal storage and any SD card you have installed.

Contacts – log into your Gmail account on a computer and check the contacts. My phone has always had the storage location of contacts as my Gmail account, although this can also be set to ‘local’ on the phone storage.
    If you are lucky, your contacts will all be on your Gmail account and when you sign into your new phone they will all be there.

WhatsApp. Its set to back-up on my phone, but not sure how often it does and whether it is set to by default.
    You’ll find out when you sign back into the app on your new phone.
    There is a WhatsApp folder in the internal storage you could navigate to when it’s plugged into a computer but while you can retrieve video and pics I am not so sure about the actual chats.

Texts. Meh. Never bothered to even try and copy them over.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

yeh looks like whatsapp is also backed up but when I plug the phone in it can’t access the memory card as I need to select something on the screen which is shattered.

Just had a quick glance at phones, anyone have a clue what the numbers and letters mean? There appears to be a G4 G4plus G5 G5S G5Splus E4 Csomething etc. That’s just for Motorola.

How much are iPhones again>?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Android backs up same as iPhone, so you’ve no benefit switching from Android in that regard.

When you get the new phone it should give an option to backup from a previous android device and will also tell you the last time that device was backed up. Rather than stressing about it now I’d buy the new phone and see what’s been automatically backed up, you may spend a lot of time trying to work this out now then find it’s all happened automatically anyway.

When I got my new handset this week the whole thing was setup like my old one from the backup- Settings, desktop background, the lot…

+1 on the G5 as a replacement.

stumpy01

Ah, you need to unlock the phone to access the SD card. You could always remove the SD card and use a micro SD to usb adaptor to plug straight into a computer…

Will cost a few quid:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-MicroSD-USB-Card-Reader/dp/B001JPPQS6

Regarding the phone options…
    with Motorola as far as I can tell the numbers go up with newer phones and then the ‘plus’ etc versions are just better specced versions.
    But if your budget is £150 or less, just look for a phone that fits into that, read a review or two and take it from there.

midlifecrashes

Number is generation, S is faster/higher spec Plus is bigger

Moto g5 is the bang per buck at the minute, O2 have been doing it for £89

I have a Moto X Play, really nice phone, but a couple of years old now, but the Motorola Migrate tool that came with it swapped everything over from my previous (Motorola) phone seamlessly.

i_like_food

There was a Moto G4 on classifieds this week for about £50 I think? Mrs Like_food has one and is happy with it.

CraigW
    Free Member

I’d look at the Nokia 5 or Nokia 6. Seems to be decent specs, and more up to date Android version than Motorola. Available for about £100 or £150. O2 have some offers on PAYG. They are probably locked to O2, but a Giffgaff SIM will work fine.

richmars

Just got a G5 to replace my moto e and it’s fine, just a bit larger. Paid about £130 a few weeks ago (may have been in a sale).

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thanks all

By the look of it the G5 is probably the way to go, think it’s about one fifty sim free from amazon.

Minefield.

There must be a market for a website that lists every phone and just filters stuff by “best battery life” “best camera” “best for gaming” etc.

bigjim

Well it’s ruled out by your UK retailer requirement but I’m about to receive a Xiaomi Mi A1 which was £150. It’s roughly equivalent to a G5 Plus which is about 270 but since lenovo have dropped the ball on updates and wifi problems I thought it would be the better option with a couple weeks wait. Reviews are excellent anyway, they’re pretty much the biggest mobile manufacturer , just not sold here on treasure island. You could get one sooner from a german warehouse but would make it out of your budget.

garage-dweller

I have a g4 and a g5 both have been excellent budget phones and not full of unnecessary bloat apps if bought unlocked.

The only thing I’ve found is they don’t like other brands of MAINS charger. Ok on usb from the laptop or in the car but if using a non-Moto mains charger turn it off first.

As for the rest depends on your back up settings.

tinribz
    Free Member

So is there anything around the same price (£150 or less) that’s worth a look?

Bought the Mrs a Huawei p8 lite 2017, good spec for price and feels good in the hand. Ticks your other boxes, full HD, good battery life and reviews.

Ticklinjock

I went from an E2 to a G5. Everything copied over in the setup app. Apps, photos, music, contacts, etc.
    G5s operation is a lot slicker and has a better camera.
    I miss the gorilla glass though, as I’ve put a couple of small scratches on the screen, Should’ve put a protector on it.
    I Put a polyurethane cover on the back as it doesn’t have the inbuilt grip of the E2.

seosamh77
    Free Member

garage-dweller – Member
    I have a g4 and a g5 both have been excellent budget phones and not full of unnecessary bloat apps if bought unlocked.

The only thing I’ve found is they don’t like other brands of MAINS charger. Ok on usb from the laptop or in the car but if using a non-Moto mains charger turn it off first.

That’ll just be the power from the charger you are trying to use, it won’t really charge up from the likes of a 1A charger, you’ll need a 2A. (Or something like that, dunno the exact specs.)

dirkpitt74

Wiley Fox Swift 2
    I have the previous version – stock android so no real bloatware.
    If you shop around you can get it for £150.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Nokia 6. Slightly over at £170 from CPW, but Android 7 (prob 8 available. Has been rolled out to the Nokia 8), stock Android, nice build quality, unlocked.

Recovery from the old. If you were signed into Google on the old, then emails and contacts will be in the cloud. Photos will be backed up if you had agreed to back them up on set up. They’ll be in the Google Photos / Drive in the cloud. All your apps are in your Google account and most will store their data on their servers tied with your Google account.

You just get a new phone and sign in with your Google account basically and can pretty much get it all back.

You’d just lose stuff saved locally to the phone that isn’t backed up. If that was on the SD card, you could use a computer to recover it, but not if the card was encrypted.

Besides that, if it’s just the screen broken, there are various ways with a computer to access the phone. Just plug the phone in via USB and see if it appears on the computer and you may be able to see the internal memory and sd card.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘A few Android smartphone questions’ is closed to new replies.