Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • A dim question about car accident categories…
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I am about to attempt to sell my wife’s car and it has been involved in a couple of accidents (although never financially written off). In order that I can list it in an honest way, how on earth can I find out what categories the accidents were?

Thanks in advance etc….

steveh

Do you mean cat d type categories? If so they only apply if a vehicle is written off not just to one which is damaged in an accident. I think if you wish to be totally honest then the best option is to simply talk about it when people call or view, assuming they’ve been professionally repaired it shouldn’t be a huge problem. If you mention in the advert lots of potential customers will be put off.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah that’ll be it – I have been browsing Ebay car adverts and loads seem to mention ‘Cat D’ accident damage etc. So as neither accident resulted in a write-off I should just keep quiet?

sssimon
    Free Member

run an hpi check and you’ll see if it’s ever had any recorded categorised damage, although to be fair that should be down to the buyer to be checking not legally up to you (although morally is a different matter)

andyl
    Free Member

Off the top of my head:

Cat A – car must be completely destroyed. No parts to be used ever again.

Cat B – car must never return to the road but some parts can be used.

Cat C – not economical to repair but can be fixed. Can range from a few scratches on an old car to some pretty major but fixable damage on a newer/high value car. Requires a VIC check if returned to the road.

Cat D – Very light damage but also not economical repair. Commonly also things like flood damage to the engine. Don’t think this requires a VIC check.

Probably best to look them up if you want the more exact definitions.

But yes, your car does not fit into any of these unless it has been officially written off. But if anyone asks you about accidents then you must be honest as if I remember rightly it is an offence to not disclose when asked.

Stoner
    Free Member

my wife’s car and it has been involved in a couple of accidents

and take her keys away while you’re at it.

andyl
    Free Member

😆 @ stoner

stumpy01

I found this:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/what-car-q-and-a/what-does-category-d-mean/221109

But, presumably if the repairs have been carried out correctly why would you even mention that it has had some cat D accidents?
    If I was selling & someone asked then I would mention any damage that had been repaired and accidents that had happened, but otherwise I wouldn’t bother.

andyl
    Free Member

i think if it is cat C or D you have to declare it voluntarily.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    my wife’s car and it has been involved in a couple of accidents
    and take her keys away while you’re at it.

TBF she was rear-ended in the first (when the car was just 8 weeks old 🙁 so not her fault. She drove into a gate for the second one though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So to confirm – it has never actually been written off as being uneconomical to repair so a HPI check won’t reveal anything and I don’t need to say anything (although I would if directly asked).

konabunny
    Free Member

it is cat C or D you have to declare it voluntarily.

andyl
    Free Member

ie you have to volunteer the information without being asked.

eg on car adverts you state “has been cat…”

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But as mine never was Cat C or D I don’t need to say a thing.

Good.

I am going to get a bad-enough price for it as it is 🙁

Taff
    Free Member

My car is a Cat D write off. With that category I have no legal obligation to declare it on any sale information but if asked if it was ever written off then I have to be honest. It will also show up if a vehicle check is ever done.

andyl
    Free Member

Taff, does yours show up as being written off on the V5? my cat C repaired car does (it was written off for some scratches)

Taff
    Free Member

No it doesn’t

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘A dim question about car accident categories…’ is closed to new replies.