Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • A different type of MTB hazard
  • grizedaleforest

GoPro captures gunpoint robbery of MTB in South Africa

Impressed by the guy’s coolness.

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s weird he doesn’t recognize the gopro as a camera 😕 it’s not as if it doesn’t look like one !!!!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I work at a University. There’s a really nice South African student on one of our courses who I see on a regular basis. He and his family moved over here a few years ago. When I made a lighthearted, jokey conversation about how grim it was in the UK, and how he must really miss back home, he went very serious, and explained to me the reasons as to why he, his family and pretty much all of his friends had left, and will probably not go back.

The video pretty much captures his reasons why. I don’t blame him.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The guy was very lucky not to have been shot, that is the normal mode of operation. I second @trailofdestrution’s comments and all of my South African friends and colleagues feel the same way.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’va mate who too is from SA, he’s here for the same reason, he’s from J’burg. 😯

aP
    Free Member

Used to have a Saffa working in my office, she’d just turned up from Jo’burg, one Monday morning she turned up and in the kitchen in front of everyone said very loudly, “There’s so minny furriners in Lindin”.
    She was also disappointed that her rented flat didn’t have a swimming pool or a maid.

jambalaya
    Free Member

She was also disappointed that her rented flat didn’t have a swimming pool

Tell her they are called puddles here !

alanl
    Free Member

A friend got a 6 month placement in J’burg SA, they arranged accomodation etc, which was only half a mile from the office.
    Asked if he wanted a lift to/from work, he declined, and said ‘dont worry, I’m sorted’, not mentioning he was walking.
    On the first day walking home he was accosted by 3 youths in a car, “get in mate, we’ll give you a lift”, they were rather persistent, and only left as a genuine Taxi had pulled up nearby.

Mentioned at work the next day, no-one could believe he was stupid enough to walk through one of the worst areas for robbery.
    Kidnap / rape / kill was common in the area. He got a lift from then on.

Another, John Cherry, went to live out there. Was sat on the riverbank fishing one day, 3 youths came up, asked for his cars keys and his money. Being John, he was always skint, but they wouldnt believe him, so shot him dead. They were caught soon after,as fishermen on the other bank had saw what was happeing, but too late for him.

So, no surprise, but really, how long does such criminality have to continue there before the Govmt/Police actually do something about it?

toby1

I have an SA’er mate, her family didn’t like the gun crime after being car-jacked at gun-point twice. They moved to the US o_O!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘A different type of MTB hazard’ is closed to new replies.