Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • A different route home from Cornwall, any suggestions?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Saturday is unfortunately fast approaching and the usual 10am cottage kick out would normally be followed by a trudge across from north Cornwall up the m5 heading towards the 42 and Derbyshire. On the way down the traffic north bound was shite but that may have been the result of the last full week of school holidays but i really would like to avoid the same. Anyhow got me thinking of a different journey home maybe heading further east over the m5 then up. Dog with us so my thought of stopping in bath was immediately sacked off so anywhere we can head, get out for a good trudge round in the hills or something, maybe a cafe stop etc. It’s a vast area I appreciate but any suggestions welcome.

dantsw13

Not a different route, but we always try and do something local (beach, pub lunch) and drive home later, avoiding the 10AM rush.

jimdubleyou

The roads heading north, east of the M5 are mostly shite unless you want to go as far east as London, which you probably don’t.

I’d stick with it, maybe go and stretch your legs in Weston or Portishead if the traffic looks rubbish.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The problem is getting out of Cornwall and there are no real viable alternatives to the A30 or A38.

Get up earlier and leave early in the morning or, as dantsw13 says, hang about and do the drive later in the day.

We go for the early morning option.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s the first time we’ve ever left on a Saturday, we usually book and extra night or two in a hotel then leave at some random time.

theotherjonv

My MiL lives near Yeovil, there’s a nice (hilly) country park and pub at Ham Hill (Montacute) that’s quite nice for a ramble and explore and a pie and pint.

It’s a mile or two off the A303, and while that’s a fair bit further south than Bath you can then do A303 to Andover, A34 north to banbury, and then M40/M42 or across via Silverstone to the M1 and home.

luket

I travel north from Devon to Northants frequently. I don’t try to avoid the M5 because I think the alternatives are no better, but I do pick my times carefully, avoiding the classic holiday traffic at pretty much all costs.

An alternative route from M5 to M1 might take you through The Cotswolds (I sometimes cut across from Cheltenham to either oxford via Witney or banbury via Stow-on-the-wold and I find neither too slow) and as said above the A43 is ok. Tebay-alike Gloucester services is good for a quick dog walk and food. I don’t turn off the M5 to the east anywhere south of Bristol just because it’d extend my journey too much.

oikeith

I had to drive back from Newquay on the bank holiday monday, we left around 1600 and the roads were fine. Leave early or late are the better options.

midlifecrashes

It’s Heritage Open Days weekend, so maybe see if some where that’s normally not open to wander (or that you wouldn’t pay to go to but would if it’s free) is along the way.

Oh and I agree with others, just grind out the A30 or whatever out of Cornwall and use the motorways to get the miles in. Having just had a week in Wiltshire, there are very few dual carriageways or bypasses and getting anywhere takes twice as long as you think it should.

https://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/

deadkenny
    Free Member

You could do the A38 instead of M5. Though think it shares the M5 in places now, and others it’s parallel to it. Various points of interest and stops, instead of motorway services. Probably will take days to drive it though 😀

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A38_road

theotherjonv – Member 
    can then do A303 to Andover, A34 north to banbury, and then M40/M42 or across via Silverstone to the M1 and home.

A route I do sometimes, in reverse, down to Devon from wanderings up M1 way.

Often do the 303 though from the SE to Devon. Much prefer it to M4/M5. Just watch out around bank holidays.

jam-bo

eastbound on sunday, the 303 was pretty much one long traffic jam starting at exeter airport and finishing at solstice services.

fortunately I was going westbound.

if your not in that much of a hurry and in north-north cornwall take the A39 up to bideford, through barnstaple and along the exmoor coast. the bit along the coast from lynmouth to minehead is stunning.

the-muffin-man

I’d stick with the M5 – we went up it last Saturday from Cornwall and it took us 4 1/2hrs from Exeter back to Belper, so not too bad considering it was the last days of school hols.

A30 through Cornwall was clear – only took us 2 and a bit hours from Mullion to Exeter.

Stop at the new Gloucester services so you can practice your ‘HOW MUCH!’ face and voice! 😀

brassneck

It’s a mile or two off the A303, and while that’s a fair bit further south than Bath you can then do A303 to Andover, A34 north to banbury, and then M40/M42 or across via Silverstone to the M1 and home.

I live more or less on the 303 near Andover, have family in Barnstaple and whilst I quite enjoy the drive out of season, you need to skip around the Blackdown hills and the whole stretch through Wiltshire most of the time, or resign yourself to a steady day. A34 north bound from there is my commute and is usually pretty good till the M40

That said, plenty of NT places just off the route of the 303 that are worth a visit, or you could stop for a spin around Haldon at Exeter.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘A different route home from Cornwall, any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.