Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • A crap haircut – 1st world problems – what to do?
  • monksie
    Free Member

a) This thread? Seriously? £12.50 for a haircut, you don’t like it and you’re asking the Internet for advice?
    b) Thank you for it anyway. That picture posted by unovolo is hilarious!

nach
    Free Member

Get extensions for the back and sides.

revs1972
    Free Member

So typically British . I bet you even said yes that’s great as she showed it to you in the mirror , lest you upset her 😆

ski
    Free Member

Did she offer you something for the weekend?

Last bad haircut I had, the shearer talked none stop about shooting fury little animals, I made the mistake half way through mentioning I hate hunting

project
    Free Member

worked next to a barber who used to cut my hair for a fiver, chap came in one day asked for a trim he got a trim an hour latter he was back screaming like a demented frog that the barber had taken too much off, and he was going to sue the barber, barber politely pointed out that by the time he had found a solicitorwho had stopped laughing the hair would have grown back 🙂

Speeder

Chill out – at least you’ve got ****** hair. It could be worse. 🙄

JoeG
    Free Member

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tc2K4j4iqs[/video]

binners

Embrace the liberation from the tyranny of hairdressers. One of these a couple of times a week*

*unless you really have got a head like a potato

greentricky
    Free Member

I’d just go some where else and get it sorted. I’m another one who doesn’t pay more than a tenner

fourbanger
    Free Member

A bad haircut is really a communication malfunction.

However, I find blokes cut blokes hair well and women cut women’s hair well.

hooli

Serves you right for having a full head of hair 😉

wiggles
    Free Member

My tactic is just to not get a haircut more often than 2 years apart. Then there is plenty to work with in case they get it mega wrong.

kerbdog
    Free Member

As said above communication is key to a haircut. Did you ask for a number five on top and a number two on the sides? If so then fair enough you’ve every reason to go back and ask them (calmly if possible) to rectify it, although this would have been better done at the end of the haircut.
    I’ve twenty five years experience as a barber and its almost impossible to please everyone but i’ll always try my best to get it right.In this case your hair was left longer then desired and that can be sorted fairly easy, give the shop the opportunity to fix it for you, they will appreciate it.

It constantly amazes me how many people don’t actually know how their hair is cut when asked. “oh i just get a trim” to me a trim is five mm to 10 mm off all over.. for others its virtually a restyle.

There’s price points for everyone and clipper cuts shouldn’t be anymore than a tenner or less unkless you are getting it washed too, buts its insulting when people think that a good service can be achieved on a full haircut for 6-7 quid.
    I’ve yet to see anyone who can provide a good high skilled service at low prices as its high volume ten mins a haircut bish bash bosh.

butcher

Seriously?!?! I’ve never had any issues getting my hair cut before. I was asked what I wanted, then I was ignored. And again when I asked again nicely. And again when I politely said “can you take some more off please”

And you want to go back?

I’d cut my losses and just go somewhere I knew did a decent haircut that I liked.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Is she fit?

Well, someone had to ask. 😳

postierich
    Free Member

This post needs pics 🙂 of your barnet!

mboy
    Free Member

Firstly, kerbdog many thanks for the considered response. Agree with everything you’ve said to be fair. My annoyance usually starts with the insistence on not using clippers I always seem to come across in most places I go to get a haircut. They often seem to take offence if you insist on a grade above grade 2, often the response is “I can cut it that short and it’ll look better I promise”… Which to me means “I want to give it a bit of style whether you want me to or not”. It’d be like you bringing your bike in to me for me to service it, but at the same time I move your brake levers and shifters to my preferred position, slammed the stem and changed the saddle angle for you… Technically, my way of setting a bike up is both more aesthetically and ergonomically correct, but… You may have your own way of setting it up, and prefer it for a reason and you don’t want me to tamper with it!

I have no problem with paying for a good service. It shouldn’t take any longer than 10mins to give me the haircut I require, to a satisfactory standard. If that costs £10, then that’s £60 per hour. I charge £30 an hour to fix people’s bikes, with substantially more money invested in the tools I require to do so. Now there’s an element of “what the market will tolerate” in the labour rates we can charge our customers, but you’d be pissed off if you got charged 25 minutes labour to fit a new chain in your local bike shop I suspect, a job which at the outside, including a quick index of the gears, takes 10 minutes tops.

Your next step should have been to not pay.
    They’d have not been able to ignore you then.

In fairness, good point, well made. BUT… There was lots of people sat waiting, I needed to get back to work ASAP, and I didn’t want to be “that guy” causing a scene… Besides, it didn’t look “that” bad in the mirror…

Not until I got home and had a shower at least, then I got quite annoyed about the whole situation!

I’d take it as a compliment if they think you’re only 17…… assuming that you are substantially older?!

36 and relatively baby faced, but definitely couldn’t pass for a pubescent teen…

Smear your head with sudocreme and tell everyone youre a cat

2nd best thread ever! (after the original badger tubeless thread of course…)

In the time you’ve taken to type about it on here, you could have gone down the street to some middle-Eastern barber and paid him a tenner to finish the job.

Considering 80% of my inane ramblings on this forum are posted from my iPhone, whilst having a number 2 of the other sort (see teamhurtmore further up this thread), it really would be multi tasking to get them to cut my barnet at the same time!

OP – You spend less each year than I do at each visit. It tells me that you don’t really care that much for your appearance, so why are you so bothered?

I’m quite happy with the “I don’t look like I’m trying to look cool, cos I’m not trying to look cool” look… I wasn’t at all happy with the “I look like I’m trying way too hard to look young and cool, but look like a prick” haircut that the woman forced upon me cos she kept refusing to listen to my requests to cut it shorter! It wasn’t quite as bad as in unovolo’s pic, but it was a similar look…

So typically British . I bet you even said yes that’s great as she showed it to you in the mirror , lest you upset her

Embarrassed to say that’s EXACTLY what happened… 😳

Embrace the liberation from the tyranny of hairdressers. One of these a couple of times a week*

*unless you really have got a head like a potato

Used to do my own Binners… And wasn’t that successful, precisely cos my head is shaped like a potato! 😕

I’d just go some where else and get it sorted. I’m another one who doesn’t pay more than a tenner

I tried… Much to my shame! Seems Xmas Eve it isn’t easy to find a decent Barber’s without a queue going round the block already!

A bad haircut is really a communication malfunction.

However, I find blokes cut blokes hair well and women cut women’s hair well.

Yup… I was communicating… She wasn’t listening! And I didn’t want to up my level of communication another level otherwise it would have entered the “FFS will you listen to what I’m telling you please!” realms of desperation!

Beginning to agree with you on the other part though…

Serves you right for having a full head of hair

I’ve spent most of my adult life, attracted to women that prefer their men with a Chrome Dome and covered in tattoos (I have neither!)…

And you want to go back?

I didn’t want to…

I HAD to! There was no other choice as it turns out!!! 😥

Gathered myself, phoned up and got the manager and said “terribly sorry, my mind was elsewhere yesterday when your employee cut my hair, I said it was ok cos I needed to rush back to work but it’s quite a bit longer than I’d like, is it ok if I pop back for a bit more of a trim?”…

To be fair, she was apologetic, and told me to pop back, she’d do it herself, and wouldn’t charge any more…

Seems that the best course of action is indeed to be as pragmatic as possible! I now have an OK haircut, it didn’t cost me any more, and it was only mildly embarrassing rather than fully embarrassing. Lesson learnt about that barber’s anyway, will use another in future!

senorj

I feel your pain. For ages I’ve regularly visited a Greek barbers .Five chairs rented by different older gents.
    One of them has clearly lost his eyesight ,it’s a lottery .Get him and it’s scrunts for a month!

doncorleoni
    Free Member

You **** 🙂 sorry but 🙂

scaredypants

mboy, better get a mirror and check what word has been shaved into the back of your head

I’m going with ****, unless your head’s really massive in which case **** ****

lunge

Middle eastern barber? I tried the new Turkish barber. Took 20 minutes during which he stopped several times to send texts on his phone. No tip. Not been back.

£8 at my local Turkish barbers. Top class cut, nice guy and the last time he didn’t put his phone down for the whole cut yet still did a cracking job. Normally he talks though. I don’t think a barbers nationality has much reflection on how well he or she cuts your hair.

Rorschach
    Free Member

FML

irc

For ages I’ve regularly visited a Greek barbers .Five chairs rented by different older gents.
    One of them has clearly lost his eyesight ,it’s a lottery .Get him and it’s scrunts for a month!

The barbers I used to go to had one good barber and one not so good. The trick was to time entry to the shop to when there was no queue and the good chair was free while the not so good had a victim in place. Which is the British way. Instead of just going in and saying to one “sorry, I’ll wait and have the other barber cut my hair.”

And is it just me or is the correct technique for clearing loose hair from a customers face to use a brush and not a sleeve?

CountZero

I’ve been going to the same person in Bath since 1979, my then girlfriend had her hair cut by her, and I see no reason to change, unless Bev retires, in which case I’m stuffed!
    She charged £10 for years, then £12.50, now £15, but she really knows how to cut, so I’m happy.
    I think the OP did exactly the right thing in the end, and seeing as how they sorted him out for no extra charge, and there’s a connection there now, I’d give them the benefit of the doubt, and try to get the same person who sorted it next time, by booking ahead.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘A crap haircut – 1st world problems – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.