Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • a couple of autmnal pics from Dartmoor yesterday
  • yunki
    Free Member

After booking yesterday afternoon as a definite riding slot, I was gutted to wake up feeling a bit fluey.. still, it wasn’t on my chest so I headed out after lunch..

Intending to take it easy and just find a snap or two for the Autumn riding pics thread, and with the ground conditions in mind after the recent rains, I took a fair few turns off the bridleways to follow the rich seams of cheeky well drained singletrack, not always entirely certain where they would lead.. this caused me to have to double back on a couple of occasions..

The Smallacombe descent still has me completely psyched out, and I struggled all the way down with low confidence on the rigid soul..

Still, I got a couple of (pretty average) snaps of the autumnal moor, rather than the leafy woods cliche.. As you will see in the pics, although the bracken is glowing rust, a lot of the deciduous growth in the area is still very green in places..

No fluey symptoms this morning either.. 😀

jam-bo

Smallacombe rocks. I still reckon that big slab in the middle can be doubled rather than having to go round it.

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

nice. how boggy is it up there away from the bridlepaths? a few weeks back the sheep tracks around Pil tor leading down to bonehill were pretty boggin, it was hard work….
    i’ve got a chance to get out sunday morning, wondering where to go…

eviljoe
    Free Member

Great pics 🙂

Was out near Princetown last night, but missed the autumn colours as it was black as a hat …
    (some dead boggy sections along the ridge there!)
    Will have to make up for it tomorrow 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

A couple of really nice pics there, yunki.

Make me want to get out on the bike, so that’s probably what I’ll do today!

slugwash
    Free Member

Great piccies Yunki. I’ve got fluey symptoms myself but I must try and get up there this weekend.

Which slab are you refering to Jam bo? I expect Si’s ‘doubled it up’…

bigbloke
    Free Member

As always jealous of your location , great pics.

jam-bo

No, that’s fine.

Halfway down the descent.

yunki
    Free Member

I was thinking just the same yesterday Jam bo, or a bit of a side hop and a bounce off the rock below it to the right.. although I was struggling over the rollable stuff, never mind trying any mountain goat tricks..!

This isn’t going to be much help, but it was pretty good where you’d expect it to be good and pretty squishy still in the places you’d expect it to be squishy, if you get what I mean.. 😕

The bridleway heading from the bottom of Smallacombe back to Leighon was pretty gross too

EDIT: Slugwash, that looks like the day that Jon (?) broke his arm and wrist, just a few moments after those shots were taken if I’m not mistaken..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Atmospheric pics. Winter riding’s all about picking trails carefully innit?!

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

thinking about linking up Houndtor, Hamel Down and Dr Blackall’s Drive somehow….

jam-bo

aleonardwilliams – Member
    thinking about linking up Houndtor, Hamel Down and Dr Blackall’s Drive somehow….

With a lot of climbing…

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

…starting from Ashburton too….

eviljoe
    Free Member

Still haven’t done Dr Blackall’s Drive – anyone around midweek who knows their way around there?

neilforrow

jam Bo: i have tried hucking it and got it superbly wrong, half landed half on / half off the boulder at the bottem right of it… not a good look.

I now role down the face of it, you dont need to go round it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘a couple of autmnal pics from Dartmoor yesterday’ is closed to new replies.