Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • A computer company made something new for people to buy.
  • aracer
    Free Member

A quick search for the following Android apps reveals that they don’t seem to exist:

A bird guide
    I understand how difficult it can be to find stuff like that, but if you look hard enough it does exist
    http://tinyurl.com/6yy388c

I’m sure given that information about something most people haven’t discovered you’ll be able to fill in the rest of your list.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

This Android app looks the business!

deviant
    Free Member

Also, when doing a bit of research into Android apps it seemed that you need an Android device to access the Android Market, whereas you can see what’s on the App Store from a PC.So you have to buy something before you know whether you can get what you want to run on it? No thanks!

You’re doing it wrong then!….i can access the android market from my laptop and the PC at work.

…somebody else has just posted you the link, if you cant get on it then i’d suggest you computer is at fault.

(just typed ‘bird guide’ into the search bar in the android market and it came up with loads, including specifically UK bird guides, US, Aussie etc…similar results for butterflies, trees etc…what exactly are you doing wrong?)

xiphon
    Free Member

I hate Apple as a company, but love OSX on my hackintosh…

aracer
    Free Member

Your other problem was also a terribly difficult one, so to help you out with that:

http://tinyurl.com/ykccxvo

JulianA
    Free Member

@aracer – would be a very handy bird guide if I lived in Hawaii or North America, but I don’t. I happen to live in norther Europe, which is why these guys are much more use to me!

All of these apps are for Britain and / or Europe…

I’ll be very interested if someone does know of any Android apps as good as these, though.

EDIT – apparently there is a good bird guide. Still, very happy with the ipod touch Thanks for the heads-up, aracrer (even if you meant to be poking fun at me, it was useful!)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

why oh why do you undermine your argument by typing like that?

does not in any way actually undermine my ‘argument’, it just annoys people like you.

Why oh why oh why do you allow yourselves to get so annoyed?

Have you considered anger management therapy?

What, like iTunes? I’d quite like an iPhone, but having to use that steaming pile of poo is the main reason I haven’t got one right now.

Well I’ve found it perfectly simple and easy to use, with iPods and iPhones. But I think you’re missing the point; Apple pioneered the concept of using a home computer as a ‘digital hub’, and simplifying the use of the computer and stuffs people wanted to plug into them, like music players, ‘phones, video and still cams, etc. This may not be to everyone’s taste (guess what, you don’t actually have to buy a Mac or Apple device, you know…), but it works for a lot of people, hence Apple’s success.

For a non geek like myself, using a Mac has always been infinitely less stressful than using a PC. From plugging in my dijical cam, to setting up my home wireless network. Certain PCs and other non-Apple devices may well be better in certain individual aspects, but none of those parts come together to create as efficient and simple whole as Apple stuffs.

deviant
    Free Member

JulianA

Uk specific:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mst.newbirdsuk&feature=search_result

Or this one for the entire Palearctic zone (europe, north africa and north asia):

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.WPBirdingChecklist&feature=search_result

Wow, they were hard to find!

JulianA
    Free Member

OK, so I didn’t look as hard as I might have done. Why are you all having a go?

aracer
    Free Member

would be a very handy bird guide if I lived in Hawaii or North America, but I don’t. I happen to live in norther Europe

Well why didn’t you say?

You’ve clearly not worked out that you the handy links I gave can also be modified to search for other things

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=android+bird+guide+european

aracer
    Free Member

Why are you all having a go?

Because you said “which I doubt are available on Android.” and then attempted to defend yourself from “WOw you’ve really researched your position eh?” without actually bothering to put any effort in.

aracer
    Free Member

Apple pioneered the concept of using a home computer as a ‘digital hub’, and simplifying the use of the computer and stuffs people wanted to plug into them, like music players, ‘phones, video and still cams, etc.

No they didn’t, not really. They’re very good at marketing though.

JulianA
    Free Member

Fair enough – I have admitted above that I didn’t do as much research as I could have done.

Now go and pick on someone else, aracer.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah but why are you so vehemently Apple? Are all the other companies wonderful and lovely?

No they didn’t, not really.

Erm well yes they did, really. So there. 😛

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah but why are you so vehemently Apple?

Who me? You do realise this is just the internet and it’s fun poking the fanbois? See how much fun I had just there (sorry Julian – just too easy a target, though I’m happy if it was accidentally useful).

I use whatever works, and given I like to spend lots of money on other stuff I have limited budget for technology – I’m sure if Apple stuff was a lot cheaper I’d buy it.

GrahamS

OK, so I didn’t look as hard as I might have done. Why are you all having a go?

Because, despite their protestations, fandroids are just as geekily defensive as ifanbois. 🙄

deviant
    Free Member

I cant resist rising to Apple bait!….i get irrationally pissed off when iphone users think their phone is the only smart phone that does anything useful!

I have a Nexus-S and showed a mate at work a photo of my motorbike when he asked what i rode….he took the phone and used the pinch-to-zoom-in-out technique on the screen and looked visibly shocked when it worked…he was previously under the impression that only iphones did this….same story with that Angry Birds game, i was sat at work playing it when one of my colleagues seemed genuinely confused that i wasnt using an iphone….i tried to explain that most apps are now available for both platforms but it didnt seem to sink in….

….this is what i find annoying, that Apple have done such a good job with their own marketing that the masses at large now think that if it isnt an iphone then it cant do anything the iphone does when in actual fact if you take the top phones from the top manufacturers like Samsung, HTC, Apple etc and test them all together there is actually very little difference.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I have a Nexus-S

I’ve got a seven speed version, just need the cable pinch bolt, the vertical dropout washer and a shifter unit, and I’m sorted. Trouble is, I’m having trouble tracking the bits down cos they don’t seem to be regular stock items. 🙁

I’m wondering if an old Exage 7-speed thumbie will work enough to let me ascertain wether or not the hub still works propply, before splashing out on a shifter etc which could then turn out to be redundant and useless.

It’s bloody heavy, too. Don’t drop it on your foot. 😯 😳

Pook

why oh why do you undermine your argument by typing like that?
    does not in any way actually undermine my ‘argument’, it just annoys people like you.

It doesn’t annoy me, just distracts and detracts from the meaning, thus undermining your argument.

Why put obstacles in the way of your otherwise well constructed points?

No element of annoyance there, just an observation.

GrahamS

used the pinch-to-zoom-in-out technique on the screen and looked visibly shocked when it worked…he was previously under the impression that only iphones did this….

Pinch-to-zoom is an Apple patented gesture. I wonder how much Nexus pay to license it? 😉

ame story with that Angry Birds game,

Oh has droid finally got that now? Well done 😀

When are you getting a decent game, like Infinity Blade?

Jamie
    Free Member

Who me? You do realise this is just the internet and it’s fun poking the fanbois?

The fun is tinged with anger though.*

*…and a little sadness.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why put obstacles in the way of your otherwise well constructed points?

Gives you another hurdle to tackle. Think of it as ‘mental gymnastics’. I’m helping you to exercise your mind more. You needunt thank me for it though, I’m just nice like that. 🙂

2012 coming up next year and that I should be involved Britain would win more Gold medals.

uplink
    Free Member

Pinch-to-zoom is an Apple patented gesture. I wonder how much Nexus pay to license it?

from your link

Apple doesn’t have a patent on “pinch-to-zoom” generally, but rather pinching to zoom, and then pinching to zoom again within some fixed period of time

Jamie
    Free Member

Gives you another hurdle to tackle.

Some may just run around the hurdle and skip your posts.

brakes
    Free Member

I like to set fire to the hurdles and ritually dance around them before putting them out in cub-scout fashion…

juan
    Free Member

Very disappointed, for a moment I thought it was about something very cool.

bikebouy
    Free Member

😀 Thanks for the Birds link..

PC/Windoz/andriod all the way here..

Business has it, home has it, I have it.

Not a fan of Mac MrsBouys lappy is a Mac and it’s orrid’

GrahamS

from your link

Apple doesn’t have a patent on “pinch-to-zoom” generally, but rather pinching to zoom, and then pinching to zoom again within some fixed period of time

Ahh. so are you only allowed to pinch to zoom once every ten seconds on a Nexus then? 😀

What about double-tapping on a column of text to zoom to the width of that text? Pretty sure that’s an Apple one too.

uplink
    Free Member

apology accepted 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

somebody uses a different consumer product that you, there is a new model out, it’s slightly improved and it may be more expensive.

haven’t you got anything else to worry about?

Cougar

The kettle’s just boiled.

(there’s a large pile of molten plastic in the kitchen)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Very disappointed, for a moment I thought it was about something very cool.

I can make it all about me if you like, Juan. 😀

Shoon’t be too difficult….

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Shoon’t be too difficult….

A-hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha 😉

scuzz
    Free Member

🙂
    What ever happened to quiet understatement?

aracer
    Free Member

On the STW forum? Are you maaaaaaad?

Jamie
    Free Member

Calm down, Aracer. Own your anger. Don’t let it be the boss of you!

brassneck

Well I’ve found it perfectly simple and easy to use, with iPods and iPhones. But I think you’re missing the point; Apple pioneered the concept of using a home computer as a ‘digital hub’, and simplifying the use of the computer and stuffs people wanted to plug into them, like music players, ‘phones, video and still cams, etc. This may not be to everyone’s taste (guess what, you don’t actually have to buy a Mac or Apple device, you know…), but it works for a lot of people, hence Apple’s success.

Hit the nail on the head.

I AM a geek but frankly I’ve had enough of computers come the end of the day, and an Apple end to end set up works for me. The only thing that annoys me is getting dodgy AVIs into iTunes .. Handbrake will do it well, but my psychic powers usually fail me so I don’t have the TV or film I want on the phone or iPad when I want it.

If I wasn’t still addicted to Warcraft though, I’d probably have gone Android/Ubuntu 🙂

deviant
    Free Member

Pinch-to-zoom is an Apple patented gesture. I wonder how much Nexus pay to license it?

What about double-tapping on a column of text to zoom to the width of that text? Pretty sure that’s an Apple one too.

They may well be Apple patents but these features are no longer exclusive to the iphone, the fact is that other phones have these features and i dont personally pay to use it so i’m not concerned what it costs Samsung, HTC etc to license this innovation.

At one point an iphone was without question the best smart phone available….however everybody caught up with the range of 1Ghz mobiles that came out in 2010….i cant help but think the new iphone with only a 1Ghz processor is going to seem quite slow when compared to the 1.2Ghz items currently available from HTC and Samsung….and then there is the 1.5Ghz Nexus Prime later this month.

The Android phones with 1Ghz were already faster devices than the iphone in 2010….i cant help but think Apple dropped the ball by not giving the new iphone some more processing power.

Cougar

You know, once your CPU processing power reaches ‘enough’, there’s little point in adding more. A Pentium III is as fast as eight quad-core Xeons at playing Minesweeper (and uses a lot less electrickery).

Saying that a 1GHz CPU is ‘dropping the ball’ compared to a competitor’s 1.2GHz CPU is a little, well, oversimplified at least. They’re different OSes for a start; does Android and IOS have the same hardware requirements, or use resources in an identical manner? You’re comparing apples with androids oranges.

I’ve had older Android phones where the CPU has been underpowered. As a result, the UI has felt sluggish. On my current handset however, it’s slug-free; so, I’m not immediately seeing how a few extra CPU cycles would make any difference whatsoever to the handset’s performance. It’s not possible to be any less sluggish than “not at all.”

I’d like to see features like faster memory, maybe, to reduce load times. Or a lower power CPU for better battery life. A higher resolution screen. A bluetooth stack that didn’t blow goats. Faster CPU? Meh.

xiphon
    Free Member

I doubt minesweeper is smp ready!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘A computer company made something new for people to buy.’ is closed to new replies.