Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • A cars 'market value'….
  • snakebite
    Free Member

So, what does this mean exactly? Wifes car is maybe written off by insurance following some muppets skills yesterday, I guess they give you as little as possible?
    Is the market value the cost of replacing same model/year etc from one of the big dealers? or is is the bottom book price from a private sale…

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I think it is very dependant, but essentially you should get enough to get the same car in a similar condition. They may well offer you a low amount though.

Whatever they offer you first, turn it down. If it is still too low, gather evidence of cars for sale, privately and at dealers to show what you will have to pay to get what you had.

daver27
    Free Member

basically they will offer you book price for age and mileage, NOT what it will actually cost to replace it. sometimes this will work in your favour, sometimes not. Be prepared, find out now how much an exact replacement (same age, model, colour, engine, condition etc) will cost to buy from a dealer and then find a few examples. Then when they make an offer you can instantly say, that’s not enough because… and present your evidence why.

its a game, play it!

snakebite
    Free Member

Hmm, thought so, I just don’t want her using my car so want to sort a replacement sharpish 😳

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

you need..

(although I’d probably recommend a more up to date copy)

dooosuk
    Free Member

Start looking for and print out some adverts of the same car in the same spec, mileage and condition.

Can be either from private sales or dealerships….the more expensive the better…and from Autotrader, Ebay, Gumtree…anywhere basically.

When the insurance company make you a poor offer, send them these as proof it’ll cost you £x to replace like for like.

Repeat above until you get an offer you’re happy with.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘A cars 'market value'….’ is closed to new replies.