Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • A brief rant about Google Maps Street View
  • GrahamS

The sort of in-depth knowledge you only get from walking down a street with your eyes open
    http://bonedancer.livejournal.com/126893.html

BigDummy
    Free Member

I agree that it is not a privacy issue. However, you will note that the streetview of MI6s headquarters at Vauxhall has a double decker bus in front of it. I do not believe this is coincidence, and I would like to have had the opportunity top park a bus in front of my house too. 😉

SST
    Free Member

I don’t understand the significance of spotting a particular number plate? If you see a picture of a car somewhere and you can make out the number plate, how exactly does that represent either a threat to the countries security or a threat to my privacy?

If you actually come to my house you can see my car almost everday. You can even touch it if you like 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Interesting to note that there is a large swathe of London, not a million miles from our friends on the riverbank as mentioned above, which remains unmapped….

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

SST – I guess the number plate privacy thing is if you spot someone’s car someplace that it shouldn’t have been – like the poor bloke who’s seen exiting a sex shop in soho 🙂

nukeproof
    Free Member

Thers a pic on Streetmap of 2 cyclists colliding in Bristol: anyone from on here now ‘famous’? 😉

desf
    Free Member

As the camera is on top of a car, it can ‘see’ right over the wall into our back garden which you can’t do just by walking along the street.

No big deal for me but might be for some (terrorists).
    😉

glenh
    Free Member

or nudists

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

As it is perfectly legal for anyone to take a photo anywhere of anyone or anything (except policemen now!) if they are in a public place then there is no problem whatsoever with this.

antigee

As the camera is on top of a car, it can ‘see’ right over the wall into our back garden which you can’t do just by walking along the street.

No big deal for me but might be for some (terrorists).

i usually worry about terrorists in public places when they start attacking the gardens of middle England then i guess thats when people will say enough is enough the internet must cease

skidartist
    Free Member

It would be interesting to see if anyone does get into bother for being seen somewhere / doing something they shouldn’t. Being caught, by whatever means, would be their fault, not google’s though.

It reminds me of that famous picture of some GI snogging some lass at the celebrations in Time Square at the end of the war. For decades he maintained that it wasn’t a picture of him snogging some floozy at the celebrations at the end of WWII. But after his wife died he confessed that the picture was him, just not at the celebrations at the end of WWII, because in order to hit the press deadlines the pic had actually been taken the day before.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘A brief rant about Google Maps Street View’ is closed to new replies.