Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • A BMW motorcycle story…..
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Something to cut through all the bullshit we are seeing on here of late……

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdBptlmu7kA[/video]

This is a photo story of my father’s 1958 BMW R50:

Boy meets girl, gets married, buys motorcycle. Rides it for 60,000 miles and has accident when wife is pregnant with 3rd child. (me) Wife orders motorcycle to be taken off road until all her children are grown and on their own. One day when bike is moved to a different storage location, son sits on bike and dreams of being a Jedi Master like his father. Couple grows old together and bike is not ridden for 40 years. Husband is now a grandfather of 7 and married for 50 years, when he dies of a stroke at age 71.
    Son looks over the old rotting machine and finds note attached to it from his father to him. Son decides to restore the old 1958 BMW R-50 as a tribute to his father. With the help of many friends, especially Peter Nettesheim, world renowned BMW collector, bike is restored to look even better than it did when it was built in Germany.

Via Reddit.com.

Woody
    Free Member

…….and cut through the bullshit it did.

Lovely story, lovely bike, just a shame his Father didn’t get to see it restored and ride it 😥

gab344
    Free Member

awwww crap, I seem to have something in my eye after watching this…..

Lifer
    Free Member

Thanks Jamie, fantastic story

jond
    Free Member

One of the comments on the link:
    >Getting your dads bike isn’t like getting his war medals, or a photo of him as a child, or something of that nature. It’s something? he would of spent many of some of his most happy, free and peaceful hours of his life on. There are moments when riding when you have no cares in the world and couldn’t wish to feel more happy. It’s an amazing feeling. And to have the bike your dad enjoyed those moments on, to enjoy yourself is a truly beautiful thing. Thanks for sharing.

I know exactly what he means – but sadly I can’t say the same.
    My dad bought a (IIRC) 1937 500c Matchless – girder forks, rigid rear end, pillion was a loaf-shaped seat on the mudguard. He rode it for years, he and my mother went round a lot of the coast on it – probably last ridden in the late 50’s or early 60’s. I mostly remember it as rusting with the remains of a tarpaulin over it – I used to sit on it occasionally – and I can remember it being karted off in the back of a truck – whether it went for scrap I dunno.
    Even my mother doesn’t know why he got rid of it – she thinks mebbe he was worried I’d hurt my self clambering over it – I think perhaps it was when he was ill and on his last legs (I was about 8). She’s still got the M’s of each side of the tank…it’s the one thing of his I really wish I had 🙁

iDave
    Free Member

Lot’s of dust in the air…..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Doing nothing for me.

Jamie
    Free Member

Doing nothing for me.

Nothing says is has to dearest.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah no, it’s shweet really. 😛

druidh
    Free Member

Lovely.

juan
    Free Member

this must be the best thread I have ever seen on here…

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Well done that man. Beats the bull shiters by miles…….

BobaFatt
    Free Member

That was great, and it brought a lump to the throat of a heartless git here.

It’s something I plan to do for my dad when he’s still alive, this was (not this one exactly) his bike during the 80’s

I always wanted to pick one up and restore it for him. He used to take me out on the back of it on Saturdays.

He’s always loved motorbikes and has a Goldwing in the garage, but unfortunately it doesn’t get ridden as his knees are shot.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Boba Fatt – Member
    That was great, and it brought a lump to the throat of a heartless git here.

It’s something I plan to do for my dad when he’s still alive, this was (not this one exactly) his bike during the 80’s

I always wanted to pick one up and restore it for him. He used to take me out on the back of it on Saturdays.

He’s always loved motorbikes and has a Goldwing in the garage, but unfortunately it doesn’t get ridden as his knees are shot.

Bobba – I have one of those awaiting restoration in the back of my garage. If you’re interested let me know. It’ll be quite a while before I get around to it and it would be nice to see it go to a good home….

Z

Lifer
    Free Member

Do it Bobba – STW awesomeness emerging from ‘that’ weekend.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

It’s in good shape too. And I have the history for it, plenty of spares, quite a few new parts fitted, manual etc…..

If you want it you can have it cheap…..

iDave
    Free Member

MODS – Boba_Fatt should be banned if he doesn’t do it…

Woody
    Free Member

It’s got to be done!

I turned down an R45 a couple of years ago which just needed a plug heli-coiled. Thought the guy said £450, when what he actually said was ‘for fifty’. Mate of mine bought it a couple of days later 😥

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘A BMW motorcycle story…..’ is closed to new replies.