Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • A bit OCD or a wise precaution
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve recently taken to cleaning public toilet seats* with a paper towel and anti-bacterial gel.

*this is limited to the seat of the toilet I am going to use when I need to pass a stool. I do not generally clean public toilets 😆

Is this normal/normal-ish/a bit OCD/Psychotic/Frontal luecotomy case?

I also hold a paper towel in my hand when opening the door to avoid holding the handle.

Am I

or

sobriety
    Free Member

Just to qualify, the bogs at work have disinfectant dispensers in the cubical, for seat cleaning purposes.

But the door handle thing is a touch wibbly.

wwaswas

you need to decide why you only started doing this recently – has your attitude changed as a result of falling ill after using a public convenience, from learnign what bug riddled cesspits they really are or just as a result of non-specific anxiety?

Personally, the chances of me pooing in a public loo are pretty slim but if/when I do I tend to give the seat wipe to dry off any previous users splashes more than to remove germs.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ton

my body will not allow me to do a number 2 on any toilet except my own.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Debilitating if you’re on a fortnights holiday.

wwaswas

A two week summer holiday must present some interesting challenges when you return home.

[edit] damn, beaten to it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wipe it if it’s pee splashed. Otherwise I don’t bother. The skin of my thighs is not going to suddenly start letting bacteria through just because I am sitting down…

You’re only squeamish if you let yourself be.

geetee1972
    Free Member

*this is limited to the seat of the toilet I am going to use when I need to pass a stool.

What about other items of furniture?

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Warning contains swearing.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt1r73mYfKY[/video]

z1ppy

Never felt the need to do point one (or if the loo looked grim, I’d move on), but fair play to you for having some hygiene standards.

I also hold a paper towel in my hand when opening the door to avoid holding the handle.

I’m with you on that one though…

I have a m8 like Ton, I find ‘that’ more strange than D-S’s ‘issue’

SiB
    Free Member

Im with ton and judy garland on this one…….there’s no place like home

khani
    Free Member

Only if the toilet in question suffers from a severe case of Garage bog
    Other than that I just wash my hands afterwards

philconsequence
    Free Member

ummmmmm what’s wrong with using a carrier bag and hanging it up in a tree? 😳

Junkyard
    Free Member

this is not the vegan option.

wwaswas

perfect;

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL6IM6g5zB8&feature=player_embedded[/video]

a bog you can take anywhere.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

In work its something I do (well not the gel) as being in a building with blind people they do ‘miss’ sometimes so its a case of not letting your pants touch the floor either….. 😆

Cougar

If I’ve to use a public inconvenience, I always wipe the seat first. Though, I grant you, I don’t carry round a bottle of bleach and a pack of Wet Wipes expressly for the purpose, a bit of bogroll will suffice.

Wiping the door handles is a bit excessive, though.

phil.w
    Free Member

But the door handle thing is a touch wibbly.

1. Man does poo & wipes up. – Bacteria transfer from bum to hand.
    2. Turns on taps. – Bacteria transfer from hand to tap.
    3. Washes hands – Hands clean.
    4. Turns off taps – Bacteria transfer from taps back to hands.
    5. Opens door to leave – Bacteria transfer from hands to door handle.

Still want to touch that door handle?

z1ppy

Wiping the door handles is a bit excessive, though.

it not cleaning them, it using a wipe to open the ‘exit’…. what’s the point in washing your hands (after using the loo), if the first thing you touch if a piss stained handle…

EDIT: darn too slow

chomp
    Free Member

usually give the seat a wipe, has the added bonus of helping avoid any splash backs

having crohns I have to use public bogs more than I’d like, but I try to use those in shops\pubs\ restaurants more than those found in carparks.

andyl
    Free Member

you sit on public toilets? ewww

if I HAVE to go anywhere other than home or somewhere I am staying then I have to hover!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T58D467HagM[/video]

wwaswas

I have to hover

touch windy?

z1ppy

As Columbia University’s Health Promotion Program sums up: “Because toilet seats are not major culprits in spreading disease, paper or plastic seat covers offer little more than peace of mind.” In fact, you have more to fear from bathroom door handles and faucets than from commodes.

derek_starship
    Free Member

From what’s been said so far, I feel my public loo procedures are reasonably normal. Anti-backing the seat provides some chemical protection from nasties, plus the hand towel used to wipe the seat then acts as a splash back suppressant as it sits in the bowl prior to “opening the bomb bay doors.”

As for the handtowel on the door handle, surely it makes perfect sense. The door handle is probably the filthiest aspect of any public loo facility.

I am indeed sane and claim my £5 voucher off (of) my next purchase of Domestos*

other bleaches are available.

Cougar

If you think that it’s any dirtier than anything else you touch on a daily basis then you’re deluding yourself. Ever get change when you buy something? Ever stop to think where that’s been? How about the rest of the cash that’s been slopping around next to it in the till drawer?

Sure, wipe that door handle. Everything else you touch is going to be spotless, but bathroom doors could KILL!

philconsequence
    Free Member

just dont wash your hands… wipe your hand down the face of the first ugly person you see in a slightly more aggressive fashion than travolta did to his kid in the film ‘face/off’

derek_starship
    Free Member

Ton shopping in Sheffield earlier.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Keyboards are found to be the least hygenic thing in any office.

I try and make sure of this by regularly licking mine.

sobriety
    Free Member

There are certain things that our bodies have had thousands of years to adapt to, I suspect most bacteria that comes from us is probably one of them.

and the door handle of the bog hasn’t killed me yet…

phil.w
    Free Member

There are certain things that our bodies have had thousands of years to adapt to

Like e-coli?

Cougar

and the door handle of the bog hasn’t killed me yet…

I don’t think much of your Special Edition of Cluedo.

sobriety
    Free Member

Like e-coli?

Thankyou wiki

Most E. coli strains are harmless, but some, such as serotype O157:H7, can cause serious food poisoning in humans, and are occasionally responsible for product recalls.[1][2] The harmless strains are part of the normal flora of the gut, and can benefit their hosts by producing vitamin K2,[3] and by preventing the establishment of pathogenic bacteria within the intestine.[4][5]

footflaps

I’m with the OP on the paper towel for opening the door – since most people don’t wash their hands after a dump (that I have observed), it’s probably the most hygienic thing you can do….

D0NK

Still want to touch that door handle? What planet do you live on? IME 90% of the male population follow this procedure.
    1. Use the toilet
    2. Opens door to leave (if you’re lucky you may get “1a. flush the bog”)

I’d guess toilet door handles are a big old source of germs. Learning some aseptic technique does tend to make you a bit OCDish.

Woody
    Free Member

Due to my job I always wash my hands thoroughly before going to the loo (No1’s only in hospitals, wouldn’t even consider risking a bumcheek on seat encounter). Not quite so concerned afterwards as I know my ‘old chap’ is clean and over the years I have mastered the art of not pissing on my hands and as has been pointed out above there is a huge amount of bacteria on taps and door handles so I’d be unclean by the time I got out of the loo anyway 😉

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I use paper – it’s only when you break through that you have skin/bacteria contact. Doubling up minimises the risk.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

A guy I worked with was a hover crapper, one day he got his technique wrong and hovered over his trousers too much, I had to lend him my commuting shorts, he spent the afternoon at work in a suit jacket and 3/4s.

derek_starship
    Free Member

catflees – ho ho – how did he explain his change of attire?

That’s really bad work from him. He’d make a shit bombardier 😀

binners

He’d make a shit bombardier

I’d say that’s exactly what he is 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘A bit OCD or a wise precaution’ is closed to new replies.