Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • A big up to Kinesis (plus photos of Kinesis Aithein)!!
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

So, the laser etched lettering on the downtube of my black anodised Kinesis Aithein seemed to have corroded (a mottled effect to the silver). It wasn’t the end of the world, but I wasn’t expecting corrosion so I contacted Kinesis / Upgrade Bikes directly and having tried a few of their suggestions to clean it off, like alloy wheel cleaner, they agreed to sort me out with a new frame.

I’d never really bought products with any concern for warranty support before now, but it will come into my considerations next time I’m buying something like this – and thought I should put out some public feedback for Kinesis / Upgrade on how good they’ve been sorting me out!

So this:-

Becomes this:-

The photos just don’t do it justice. Looks fantastic, going to have to get it built! So a big thanks to Dom and Martin at Upgrade Bikes!

wwaswas

Your kitchen could do with a lick of paint.

[edit] and Dom and the guys at Kinesis/Upgrade are great too 🙂

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Ha, that’s the dungeon 😉

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Decade virsa owner here, I love my bike 😀

timbur
    Free Member

It’ll look good with all the black kit as well.
    Did they take your frame back?
    What size are you riding?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yes, I posted my old frame back and pretty much by return they sent me the new one!

Its a 56 and I’m 5ft 10. I’ll run it with a 100mm stem.

And the plan is one of the new 105 groupsets in black when they arrive in June.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Loving this frame.
    I have a Kinesis Gran Fondo ti which is doing me well.
    Fancy something lighter like this as well!
    I have heard mixed reviews about ride quality,some say harsh some say smooth.
    Prob more to do with seatpost,tyres etc?
    What’s your take on it?
    Thanx,
    Max.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Its marketed as a race frame. They do other bikes like the Gran Fondo, Tripster, 4S if anyone wants more comfort.

I think I’d call it solid/firm. It doesn’t particularly soften/filter the bumps like carbon frames but I wouldn’t say it was harsh.

You push the pedals and it goes. I’d rather have fun and fast and take my chances with how comfortable I feel after 4 hours in the saddle. There are so many other contributing factors.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

They’ve been superb with me over the years too – and the very rare occasions I’ve had a problem they’ve sorted it quickly and satisfactorily, even when it’s been my fault… They’re a top bunch to deal with and it just ends up making riding their ridiculously good frames even more fun.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yeah,
    I gather the views as a race frame.
    I rather like Kinesis product and this ticks all the boxes against all the carbon frames and very reasonably priced it is too.
    Probably get a Dura ace build for a good price?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Just don’t tempt me!!? I’ve seen the pictures of the Aithein loaded with Dura Ace!!

I also have a Giant TCR SL (alloy) and KTM Revelator (carbon). Both the alloy frames are vaguely similar for ‘bump compliance’. Not ridden them back to back yet, but from what I remember it seems the Giant feels a bit more precise (front to back), but the Kinesis more lithe and fun to ride.

The KTM is smoother on broken road surfaces than both the alloy frames – which almost makes it hard to tell how it compares stiffness or speed-wise. It seems to have a bit of a muted response.

carrotcake
    Free Member

Good to hear they are improving their customer service dealing with complaints with regard sub optimal components. When I contacted them to inform them about the defective carbon forks that failed on me, planting me into the road, smashing my front teeth out and breaking my jaw – I got a very patronising response to offer me a replacement pair of forks and. ‘Hope you get better soon” with no real regard or real concern to the severity of what such a failure can affect a persons life .. Then not a lot of response from there on when I asked for further information about quality control process and traceability of the origin of the component.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘A big up to Kinesis (plus photos of Kinesis Aithein)!!’ is closed to new replies.