Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • A, ahem, cough … tyre question, but …
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I have tyres for off road, mud, etc

I have tyres for my commute

But, what would you lovely people recommend that I can use for my road commute in the morning and would be a good off road tyre for a different route back home??

12 miles in the morning so needs to be a good, low rolling resistance, fast tyre as I need to be at work on time, but as the days get longer I can take a longer off-road route home some evenings, the off-road route I’ll only do if the weathers ok, so maybe something like a summer semi-slick, but not something soft that will wear in no time on the road.

Is there such a thing, any thoughts, suggestioms?

Thanks.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Mmm, would be nice, but too many bikes cluttering up my house as it as! :mrgreen:

Got me thinking though … heads off to ebay, classifieds, etc

gingerflash

It does seem that one of your journeys is going to be compromised.

Use any semislick and put about 50psi in for the morning run and let it down a bit for the return? Small Block 8s are great. Very fast but grippy too.

TimothyD
    Free Member

What about a tyre with a central solid road tread/strip?

spooky_b329

I have Small Block 8’s and they whine a bit on tarmac. Gf has Conti Traffics on her commuter and they are pretty fast, and are quite knobbly once you start leaning over.

dobo
    Free Member

maxis high roller semi slick? maybe a bit too much chalk and cheese for one tire?

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Just looked up the small block 8’s and they get good reviews, the off-road bit will be on the south downs so will be a mix of (maybe) mud, definately a bit of chalk and grass, really just aiming to do that route when the weathers going to be good so most of it will be dry, guess something like the small block 8’s and those conti’s are the sort of thing? Traffic’s look good, something like that but with a few more of those outside knobs removed maybe? Not sure if something with a totally solid center strip will be good-ish off-road?

Cheers

atlaz
    Free Member

Halo twin rails?

genghispod
    Free Member

Just done 2 rides on Maxxis Crossmark 2.2 tyres over Purbecks; fast on tarmac, good on braking, don’t like mud much. Huge volume and very comfy though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hutchinson Piranhas might be worth a look. Very light tyres.

Very fast on road and surprisingly grippy off road.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘A, ahem, cough … tyre question, but …’ is closed to new replies.