Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • 95 mile sportive – will I die?
  • beer247
    Free Member

So, my brother in law thought he was funny and booked us both onto a sportive as a birthday present…..

It’s in the Brecon Beacons a week this Sunday.

Not done nearly enough training and now starting to panic!

Looks like a lot of climbing, 2500m to be exact!

Any tips on staying alive?

hammerite
    Free Member

Start steadily, don’t be a hero and try and hang on to fast groups. Pace climbs, push as easy a gear as you can. Stop at all the feed stations and stock up. Drink plenty.

Use sun cream.

Cletus

Take some paracetamol, eat regularly, make sure your bike is A1

igm

Eat. Drink. Pace yourself.

I did an overnighter 120 miles, 2750m climbing. I think I did about 9-10 mph. Now some of that was the overnight-ness but I doubt I’d have beaten 12mph in the daylight.

For comparison a flattish 100 miler is 16.5mph for me. So I won’t be troubling Froome et al any time soon.

PS – don’t try any new gels at the feed stations. Pork pies and jelly babies are safe, but stick to brands you use regularly with gels.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Is that the Dragon ride? If some some of my clubmates are doing it and it is supposed to be pretty hilly. I don’t think any of them are doing the short option though…

hammerite
    Free Member

If the start goes off in waves get there early and out in the first wave. Gives extra time for stops and for any mechanicals.

aP
    Free Member

Don’t get caught up in the excitement at the start. Ride within your means. Eat regularly. Finish strong.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You’re going to die, I’m going to die, we’re all going to die… just not that day.

🙂

Don’t forget to lob your gel wrappers in the hedges, as is traditional. 😉

Just ride, ride at your own pace, take on plenty of food and water as you go.

jonba
    Free Member

Put a decent stop half way and it is less daunting.

Pacing wise, start off slower than you think you need to. Drop a gear if it helps. If you realise you haven’t gone hard enough ride the last ten miles as a time trial.

cheers_drive

Plan an extra 5 miles on the end; in the scheme of things those 5 miles are nothing, in boasting points they’re everything

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Get yourself a stealth e-bike motor, but let your brother in law suffer, as revenge. 😆

igm

C_D – has a point. Riding to the start and back added 14 miles to a 98 mile one I did not so long ago.
    I mean why do 98 and not 100?

PS you ought to be allowed to multiply your distance (in km) by your weight (in stone obviously) to get a proper effort rating.

kennyp
    Free Member

Put a decent stop half way and it is less daunting.

Everyone has their own way of doing these things, but for me the thing that works is a couple of short stops rather than one long one. Breaks the ride nicely into thirds, and I find with long stops I start to stiffen up, get cold and find it hard to get going again.

As I said though, different things work for different people.

rascal
    Free Member

Did my first 100 a month ago – in Lincolnshire and for a reason!
    8000′ of climbing – that’ll hurt….but you’ll be fine. Take your time, drink and eat often – and try and enjoy it (if possible) 😆

FuzzyWuzzy

As long as you’ve done at least one ride around 70 miles and a few over 50 in training you should be fine physically for a 100 miler (as long as you pace yourself and eat/drink properly as others have said). The main challenge is mental, I always go through a bad place (in my head) around 70 miles, by that time the physical side is hurting, the supporting muscle aches and saddle soreness has started and there’s still a couple of hours left of riding to do. Hopefully you and your BiL go to your dark places at different times and can motivate each other through it.
    The above is based on my usual riding being around 50 miles, I’m sure those regularly doing 100+ milers probably have much less of an issue mentally with it.

eddie11
    Free Member

Go off hard. Attack the middle. Finish strongly. Eatin’s cheatin and drinking just makes you sweat. Now go get em princess.

scaredypants

wot eddie said – smash it from the gun and then if you feel able, turn up the wick for the second half

fifeandy
    Free Member

If you’re light, nothing to worry about, just spin up the climbs fuelled by the knowledge that everyone else is suffering more

If you’re heavy, you’re screwed – enjoy 😀

IHN

Set phasers to ‘pootle’

Eat (food, not gels’n’shite, you’ll be amazed how many bananas, Naked bars and cheese rolls you can fit on the rear pockets of a jersey)

Drink (bottle an hour minimum).

You’ll be fine. From seeing some of the enormous people on BSO that complete RideLondon, you’ll be fine.

onandon
    Free Member

Opposite to above.

At the moment I’m doing around 40 – 70 miles a day

Don’t eat only food. Gels are good, they get into the blood quickly and don’t need to be digested so are making themselves known sooner. Just make you you drink water just after you’ve taken one.
    They also take up less space and can be deployed quicky 🙂

You’ll be grand. Many others will be suffering far more then you.

I think the key to long rides is being comfy on the bike and a saddle that works for you. What works for 50 miles may not work for 100. You could take some chamois cream in a small zip lock bag – about 30 grams worth to slap on if you need it nearer the end.

IHN

Alright, maybe take an emergency gel. But, if you’re eating regularly, you won’t/shouldn’t need it.

Think of it as an all day ride with a continuous picnic 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Set phasers to ‘pootle’

There’s a best selling t-shirt in there somewhere 😉

jimdubleyou

Assuming the finish is in the same place as the start, 2500m of climbing = 2500m of downhill.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

NJA

Don’t start too fast. You will catch those that do later when they blow up with 30 miles to go.

atlaz
    Free Member

Smash the first 30 miles, get a load of Strava PBs because you’re in a group. Go to pub. Job done.

More seriously, pace yourself, eat and drink properly and you’ll be fine. For someone who rides “regularly” I think 100 miles is doable, it’s just a matter of how fast. If you want to target, say, 5 hours, you would need to train 🙂

Gels are good, they get into the blood quickly and don’t need to be digested so are making themselves known sooner.

I only tend to use gels as either a last resort or as a bit of extra ooomf to get over something unpleasant. They’re quick to absorb and put to use but they’re also gone quickly so you either need to be doing them regularly or you still need energy bars/normal food. My usual food on a long ride/sportive is:

1, Couple of bananas to eat first
    2, Few energy bars
    3, If I can be arsed, some honey waffles spread with peanut butter like a sweet peanutty-honey flavoured sandwich (cut into bits)
    4, Emergency gels

Bananas last me the first 90 mins or so, energy bars/waffles take me for most of the rest.

scaled
    Free Member

I’ve done a couple of what could be described as ‘silly’ rides recently. Having not ridden more than about 40 miles in one go for nearly 2 years I decided to do a 140 mile, 8000ft one way ride, straight over the Peak and did another 130, 6500ft last weekend.

Things that I learnt:

1) I much prefer the shot blocks to gels, they’re way easier to eat on the bike and you don’t have to carry a load of sticky wrappers around with you. Hob nob flapjack bars that my wife had stuffed in my bag were amazing when i found them at the pub

2) Don’t set off too hard, even if you feel strong. Setting a load of PBs in the first 30 miles is a terrible, terrible idea.

3) You’ve got a semi/compact crank, right? I wish I had one of those, 38/28 suuuucks.

4) If you’ve got a garmin turn everything off on it if you can, look around you, enjoy the scenery. I just whacked the map on the screen so I wasn’t counting down 0.1 of a mile when I was in pain. When you tick over 100 miles it stops showing the 0.1s!

5) Most importantly, you can do it. Just keep turning the pedals and you’ll get there in the end!

ransos
    Free Member

You don’t need to train to ride 95 miles. You do need to ride at a gentle pace, and eat and drink regularly.

igm

jimdubleyou – Member
    Assuming the finish is in the same place as the start, 2500m of climbing = 2500m of downhill.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Check brakes before you leave. Like I didn’t do on this year’s TdY sportive. Luckily I had some spare blocks with me.

atlaz
    Free Member

Oh, don’t eat anything on the day that you haven’t eaten before, don’t fit something new to your bike for the day. I generally say nothing with under 200-300km on it is worth risking.

igm

Except brake blocks.

Trust me.

Ewan
    Free Member

I’m doing that sportive as well. My training has been to start to ride to work a couple of times a week (45k round trip) and to do the odd longer ride on the weekend. Did a 130km / 1700m climbing one week before last and nearly died so I am a little worried. My plan is to go very slowly and then smash it for the last 10k hopefully beating my mates.

julians
    Free Member

timely thread…

I have agreed to do a 100 mile road road with a friend (not a sportive – cant be bothered with riding with a big group), its a fairly flat one (~3000 feet of climbing over the 100 miles), so I’m hoping it wont kill me, but I wasnt planning on doing any special training for it, I get out on the mountain bike once or twice a week for 10-15 miles per ride, and I might occaisionally get the road bike out for a quick 30 miler, but thats the limit of my training.

Glad to hear some of the views above that it should be doable, also scary to read the opposite views that I need to be doing 50-70 mile training rides .

My take on it was that its not a race, I just go steady , keep my heart rate in zone 3, eat and drink lots and I should be fine? Will I die?

I’ve never ridden this sort of distance before, so have no comparison, the furthest I have ridden in one go is ~30 miles so far, but I didnt stop because I was too tired go on, I stopped because I’d got home.

atlaz
    Free Member

Except brake blocks.

Trust me.

I’d still not roll up with brand new brake blocks… the time to learn that something is badly set up is near home, not at the start or during an event.

fifeandy
    Free Member

My take on it was that its not a race, I just go steady , keep my heart rate in zone 3, eat and drink lots and I should be fine? Will I die?

If you try to maintain a z3 HR for 6-7hrs off no training, yes you will die.
    It wont even be a quick death either, it’ll be long, drawn out and painful.

scaled
    Free Member

I’d still not roll up with brand new brake blocks… the time to learn that something is badly set up is near home, not at the start or during an event.

Or at the top of Winnats Pass when that rattle that was coming from my rear wheel turned into a PING! of a snapped spoke (thanks to 18 bikes for replacing that so i didnt have the severe rattle for the next 80 miles)

atlaz
    Free Member

Glad to hear some of the views above that it should be doable, also scary to read the opposite views that I need to be doing 50-70 mile training rides .

I always reckon if I can do the event milage over a few days in a row (i.e. 50-60km a day over 3 days in a row) and do 1.5x the climbing in the same rides then I will survive. I won’t be quick but I’ll make it. If I was racing it, I’d be looking to do more than just survive obviously.

juanghia
    Free Member

What everyone else has said. Anyone who rides regularly should easily be able to do the route you suggest I would of course stick and extra 5 miles on the top just to make it a round number myself.

The best advice I got from a runner regarding Marathons was to “pick a nice womans arse and follow it” it works… The same for riding a sportive try and slot yourself in a nice group, look for bikes and people you can work with.

Look for people that look like you (of course i’m looking for people with 50mm carbon ribs and a god like physique) try and get in a bunch and work together it will make your day go quicker both literally and figuratively.

Stop at the food stations, unless you know you can “race” 100miles and are aiming for a time.

Don’t eat Gels and Shite unless you do so all the time, stick to peanut butter and jam and normal foods.

Drink more than you thought humanly possible and make sure you’ve got lots of salt.

Don’t change anything on your bike without properly riding it first…I’ve rocked up bike races after “fettling” and had DNF’s if it aint broke don’t fix it…but be sensible, check your brake blocks, cables etc

No you won’t die

tomhoward

The best advice I got from a runner regarding Marathons was to “pick a nice womans arse and follow it” it works…

That’s what britains oldest marathon runner says. He also says ‘beware of chaps with long hair’ after having some somewhat conflicted feelings after one turned around at the end of a run…

I’m doing 118 miles on a Morcambe and Wise ride (statue in Morcambe to statue in Morley), longest ride so far has been 50 miles, but it had twice the elevation gain as this will, though that was MTB, this will be gravel bike. Should I put my affairs in

julians
    Free Member

So,a little update from me, on saturday i did a 100 mile road ride from york to bridlington and back. before this the longest road ride i had done was 32 miles.

I did no special training for it,just my normal once week mountain bike ride of between 7 and 15 miles.

I averaged 15mph ,which is not fast,but im pretty happy with it overall.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘95 mile sportive – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.