Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 120 total)
  • 9/11 – where/what were you doing…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

.. When you first saw or heard what had happened.

I was living over in ibiza and got several calls off people telling menwhat had happened. Didn't believe them so went to a friends bar and it was packed with people were just sitting, staring at the screen and I swear no one said a single word for a couple of hours…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I was getting on a plane. Tense flight that one.

Hohum
    Free Member

Quite a horrible act of terrorism.

Lots of it has gone in the world though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

On holiday in Spain trying to watch the Arsenal match in champs league over my wife's ( then gf) shoulder and when she complained I told her it wasn't footie, just some programme about demolition :-0

Found out the actual news the following morning and had all sorts of fun with the airport security a few days later.

Just coming out of a lecture at uni when my brother rang me. Went straight to the union bar and watched the big screen for ten mins before walking away in disgust. It was an incredible, eerily quiet student union….

U31
    Free Member

Watching it on the box in a semi in little hulton, before drinkies at a pub called the Stocks.
    genuinely thought it wasa crash followed by the other pilot crashing due to gawking the original "crash" and being shocked in to crashing. couldnt concieve at that time it was deliberate..

user-removed
    Free Member

Got back from college (very mature student), switched on the telly and gawped. Thought it was a film / end of the world / a dream…

john_drummer
    Free Member

sat on a beach in Roses, Costa Brava.

Went to a cafe to use los servicios, saw it all live on TV. Locals thought I was French for some reason (perhaps the proximity to the border); English didn't even occur to them.
    Next day sat on the beach, the air raid sirens went off. That was a bit nervy
    3 days later, Barcelona airport was crawling with army types

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I was at home – but a mate of mine was on a flight into the States – this got diverted into Canada and landed at a small municipal airfield, the authorities did not let anyone off the plane for hours.. when they did no one was allowed to phone anyone…

U31
    Free Member

The wife just said similar, user removed..She thought it was a film, she was doing the housework with the sound turned down..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ho hum – Member
    POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Your particular point is what exactly?

allthepies
    Free Member

I was in Peru, about to fly over the Nasca lines.

Had transferred through New York on Sept 7th.

teagirl
    Free Member

Coming back from Sainsburys with 22 month old daughter in car and 8 months pregnant, vivid memory of what kind of world are my children being born into.

GW
    Free Member

weird, I was in Ibiza too.
    found out in a scooter shop.. the English guy who was behind the counter was just in a complete daze and couldn't do his job, then explained what was happening (tried to). so we went to a bar too.. and yeah, everyone was just so quiet.. sat staring at the TV.

<EDIT> My girlfriend was pregnant too

druidh
    Free Member

At work. We heard about the "plane crash" and assumed it was some sort of light aircraft, tuned in to the CNN and Sky websites and then saw the reality.

Hohum
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    Ho hum – Member

I meant exactly what I said.

Lots of it goes on.

Perpetrated by the smallest nations on this world and the largest.

chewkw
    Free Member

Off day at home then glued to the telly the whole week.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Getting party stuff ready for my daughters 1st birthday,It put a bit of a downer on her 1st birthday.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

allthepies – Member
    I was in Peru, about to fly over the Nasca lines.

That should also be in the awesome post… fantastic..

PeteG55
    Free Member

At work. It was all over the radio, but still didn't really believe it till I got home and actually saw it on the telly. Just sat there disbelieving for sometime afterwards.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Heard it on the radio as I left the house. Turned around and sat watching it all afternoon. I turned sky news on about 2 mins after the second plane hit. Literally could not believe it when the first one came down, then the second.

donsimon
    Free Member

Giving class to Lt. Col in the Spanish Airforce when someone came into the office to tell us what had happened. Saw the first pictures a couple of hours later.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ho hum – Member
    Lots of it goes on.

So the POINT of what you said is….

theboatman
    Free Member

I was working in A&E and was just on the phone to a social worker letting them know a child we'd been working on had died after an rta, and in general chat she asked if I'd seen the news and that a plane had crashed into the world trade centre, and during the conversation one of her colleague's told her another plane had also crashed into it. We thought there must have been some mix up. I tried to check the BBC news website, but the screen wouldn't load up. I had to give up as some old dude that had fallen was up next. I remember it quite vividly and still remember the names of the kid and the old dude.

Hohum
    Free Member

Ho hum – Member
    Lots of it goes on.

So the POINT of what you said is….

It was an event waiting to happen on the soils of the arguably the largest terrorist country in the world.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I'd just landed an aircraft having flown back from the middle east; some dude came on the flight deck and told us what had happened. I felt physically sick and lost the ability to get up out of my seat.

nonk
    Free Member

i had spent all day in the car on my way back from the alps, radio was knackered.
    when i finaly got home late that night i wandered into the room took a look at my folks and said…whats up has someone died. 😯
    oh.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

At a demonstration against the arms trade fair at the Excel Centre in East London. Seems almost surreal by context, now. Remember the police suddenly becoming extremely aggressive, without most of the (peaceful) demonstrators knowing what had happened in NY. The fair was closed very quickly, and the protestors kettled into very confined areas even though none of them had been at all confrontational. Only after managing to sneak out and boarding a DLR train did I realise why: they were trying to get all the arms dealers out of the area. Saw some of them, weird to see them on public transport. Had to get a British Bobby to protect the Civil Liberties of a couple of British Citizens from the over zealousness of the bodyguards of some tinpot foreign military leader (you're not so big when you're not surrounded by your private army are you you ****). Quite funny to stand toe to toe with these harbingers of death and destruction, and see them cower behind their hired muscle. ****.

sharki
    Free Member

Working on a site on the edge of the Quantocks.

The owner came down for his pre breakfast tipple from the secret garage stash, and told us.

I'd never heard of the twin towers at that point, a single atrocity in a world full of them.

Such a shame it gets remembered by so many, whilst bigger atrocities get forgotton by more..

For all those lost and whom have lost, through acts of terrorism and war, i will spare a moments thought tomorrow

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

i will spare a moments thought tomorrow

As will I. Politics aside, thousand of innocents died on that day. As a Londoner, having seen the chaos caused by terrorist attacks, I hope no other city ever has to suffer that. Just utterly senseless and an attack on Humanity itself.

Thousands of people man. ****.

Hohum
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    At a demonstration against the arms trade fair at the Excel Centre in East London. Seems almost surreal by context, now. Remember the police suddenly becoming extremely aggressive, without most of the (peaceful) demonstrators knowing what had happened in NY. The fair was closed very quickly, and the protestors kettled into very confined areas even though none of them had been at all confrontational. Only after managing to sneak out and boarding a DLR train did I realise why: they were trying to get all the arms dealers out of the area. Saw some of them, weird to see them on public transport. Had to get a British Bobby to protect the Civil Liberties of a couple of British Citizens from the over zealousness of the bodyguards of some tinpot foreign military leader (you're not so big when you're not surrounded by your private army are you you ****). Quite funny to stand toe to toe with these harbingers of death and destruction, and see them cower behind their hired muscle. ****.

yunki
    Free Member

I watched the events unfold live on tv… couldn't believe my eyes.. immediately assumed that it was anti-capitalists..

I feel sad for the loss of any innocent life but when you look at the bigger picture by god they had it coming..

samuri
    Free Member

I was at work when it happened. The internet died for quite a while but we got the general picture. Quite shocking but as far as deaths go, Americans are far more efficient at killing Americans than terrorists are. Even if terrorists really upped their game, they lag massively behind Americans in the cause of American death stakes.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I was working at Tesco at the time in the garage. We had one customer come in and say, "Did you know that a plane has gone into the World Trade Centre in New York?"

Throughout the day we got updates from customers – another plane had crashed, the first tower had come down, the second tower had come down. I didn't actually see the news until 6pm in the evening, I just remember being absolutely mortified, trying to comprehend that this movie-style scene was actually happening and that thousands of people had lost their lives. The scale of it was immense – not just New York, but also the two other jets that came down.

I remember my brother being particularly grim – he was convinced that it was potentially the end of the world because he was so worried that George Bush was in power. He was convinced he'd just nuke someone…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ho Hum; a pretty **** mental situation to be in, when major shit is kicking off somewhere across the globe. The mood of the demo went from pretty laid back, just a bunch of hippies banging drums and singing songs, to the previously reasonably bored yet amicable police being replaced by fully kitted out riot thugs in a matter or moments. As though they anticipated trouble.

Was a disgrace in my eyes. British Citizens exercising their 'democratic rights', then kettled like animals to allow Death Mongers to flee the area safely. Pfft. Democracy? Yeah, right.

Hohum
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    Ho Hum; a pretty **** mental situation to be in, when major shit is kicking off somewhere across the globe. The mood of the demo went from pretty laid back, just a bunch of hippies banging drums and singing songs, to the previously reasonably bored yet amicable police being replaced by fully kitted out riot thugs in a matter or moments. As though they anticipated trouble.

Was a disgrace in my eyes. British Citizens exercising their 'democratic rights', then kettled like animals to allow Death Mongers to flee the area safely. Pfft. Democracy? Yeah, right.

They obviously saw you lot as part of a global terrorist attack…

It shocked me when I first saw it, but I have read loads since and had my eyes opened wide.

If you poke your finger in a wasps' nest it will eventually get stung!

teadrinker
    Free Member

I was working in Canary Wharf at the time, remember watching it all and then being put on high alert so they shut the building down. We all went down the pub to watch the goings on tv. It was awful I remember so many people from the mercer office in floods as there office was at the top of one of the towers if remember correctly. I remember the memorial service at St Pauls, we went too, so many people. So moving. I'll be having a moments silence tomorrow for everyone affected by tragedies like this.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Elfinsafety…not to burst your bubble mate, but those 'riot police' were there all along. Any time there's a demonstration of any time those guys are always within a couple of hundred metres. It's not so much a matter of anticipating trouble as normal working practices.

hug
    Free Member

Well I got up, wondering what to do with myself on my birthday,switched the news on and just sat there stunned,(& sort of thankful that it hadn't happened 2 weeks earlier when my son went up to the top sightseeing)feel terrible for all those lost & everything but the main lingering feeling is that the bastiges stole my sodding birthday.

epicyclo

Pure evil, but a disproportionate response.

The tobacco industry kills more people each week than all the terrorist activity this century. Can we have robot drones take out the executives of the tobacco industry please.

(Not biased – just both parents died horribly due to tobacco)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘9/11 – where/what were you doing…’ is closed to new replies.