Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • 90's Steely Kona's- Retro Content
  • dvatcmark
    Free Member

My work in progress 94 lava dome, my favourite bit is a v brake on the back and a disc rotor, causes some really confused looks

rossi46
    Free Member

it’s a ratty old bike that gets locked up in town in all weathers

Why do that to Kona?? 😯
    Surely a cheapo generic alloy framed steed would be better…..

I’ve been trying to break my Explosif for 15 years. I have a love/hate relationship with it. When the chainstay snapped at the dropout it wasn’t “killed” enough so I got it fixed… I need to rip the headtube off it or destroy the main tubes… then, and only then, will I call it properly dead

😆

rogerthecat
    Free Member

The Frankenbike (the green one):

Blackhound

’94 Kilauea a few years ago:

IMG_0977 by blackhound59, on Flickr

And a couple of months ago:

P3060802 by blackhound59, on Flickr

Woody
    Free Member

My ’95 Lava Dome. Bit of a mix of old and new but a joy to ride 😀

kona lava dome by woodruffwood, on Flickr

thepodge
    Free Member

relliott6879 – Stick it up for sale on here then, I’m fairly sure you’ll have your arm snapped off. Just out of interest… what frame, year and size is it?

1992 Kona Cinder Cone, 16″ CC / 19″ CT

miketually – I can think of one way to make it cheaper then: Hammerite. Depending upon where the crack is, you could probably araldite a sheet of thin metal around it and it’ll run fine.

the cost of the repair alone is more than a cheap secondhand beater frame, saving on paint is kinda irrelevant. If it is a crack, which I’m not 100% convinced it is yet, its at the chainstay bridge / chainstay weld so no amount of glue & tin can is going to save it.

rossi46 – Why do that to Kona??
    Surely a cheapo generic alloy framed steed would be better…

The Kona was a cheapo frame, the whole bike cost me less than twice what I just paid for one tyre for my big bike.

Dont get me wrong, I like the Kona a lot but in my eyes the cost of restoring it isn’t worth it to me.

rossi46
    Free Member

Nice! Are those Girvin forks? Or AMP ones?

The Kona was a cheapo frame, the whole bike cost me less than twice what I just paid for one tyre for my big bike.

Fair do’s- it’s getting ridden at least (or was 😉 )

thepodge
    Free Member

Still getting ridden, I was out on it last night, 14ish miles, all good fun.

jabbi
    Free Member

Nice, I love old Konas, I’ve just finished re-building a 92 Cinder Cone myself (will post pic’s later), and can tell the OP that the seatpost is a pretty random 26.4mm! I managed to find a Kalloy one on ebay but if you want a nice period correct say Syncros or Control Tech be prepared for a long wait (not even sure they were made in this size).

rogerthecat
    Free Member

rossi46 – Member

Nice! Are those Girvin forks? Or AMP ones?

They are Noleens similar to Girvins I have a Fox shock to replace the spring on it thats intercoursed.
    Also have a pair of Girvins in the garage for my next project.

slimjim78
    Free Member

minty 91 fire mountain. saddle now switched and steerer dropped accordingly.

rossi46
    Free Member

minty 91 fire mountain

Cor! Gleaming paint 8)

rossi46
    Free Member

Update- Seatpost, Collar and Front Mech ordered and in the post 😀

I should be able to go ride it really soon, just in time for some nice Bluebell lined trail pics 8)

rossi46
    Free Member

Well the seatpost finally arrived and all the bits are bolted on- she’s ready to ride!

Oh look the suns out 8) now iv’e just got to get rid of the kids (they’re only 2 and 4 so they have no social life yet!) for a couple of hours and i can go find some scenery 😀

Maybe you, my fellow Singletrackers can help me choose a seat- i have 3 to pick from. I’m liking the Union Jack myself but it has short rails….

The Bikehut one looks pretty comfy, but the Bel Air is tried and trusted and has been on at least 3 bikes throughout its history 😆

PS: the flat pedals will be coming off and SPuDs going on…..

pedalhead
    Free Member

Nice Konas :-). I’m just building up a ’95 Lava Dome with P2s as (another) singlespeed. Apart from the drivetrain (middleburn uno), I’m going with mostly contemporary kit off my ’96 Giant ATX990 that corroded to dust – Mavic 220/Tioga Psychos, Ritchey Forcelite bars, Velocity stem etc. I’ve also cleaned up some old Judy XCs & replaced the elastomers with springs for when I fancy some squish. I’ll post some pics up on this Kona love-fest thread when it’s done.

thepodge
    Free Member

Union flag not Union jack. Unless that’s a rubbish boat

Wozza
    Free Member

For the love of god please take that saddle off your lovely Kona.

Not the best pic but here’s mine in the office today, it’s not 90’s or steel but it is Kona. XL dirt jump roast frame.

Could do with a headtube badge, I searched google but couldn’t find anything. Does anybody know where I can get one??

diawl2
    Free Member

Here’s my ’94 Cinder Cone, which I’ve owned since it was new, in touring guise in Canada last year. Rode nicely apart from the speed wobbles over 40mph.
    [/url] 046 by simonmcc88, on Flickr[/img]

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Just out of interest how much would a 93 kona explosif be worth. quite a few original parts and some of the worn out ones still stored away. Wheels are new but the old XT hubs are still lurking around ready to be re spoked and re rimmed. Any idea on price would be helpful.

pedalhead
    Free Member

check out Retrobike. Explosif’s are quite sought after I think. Could get £150 – £200 for the frame alone if it’s in good condition I reckon.

rossi46
    Free Member

First ride in the sun!! Happy days 8)

Also did some one handed riding to get some ‘onbike’ viewpoints….

It’s really quite difficult riding one handed and trying to hold an SLR shutter finger ready with the other hand 😆

rossi46
    Free Member

rossi46
    Free Member

Im glad to say that having spent all yesterday on this bike, it rides soooo much better than i ever thought! Seems to require absolutely no effort to go fast on. And having modern components it’s far better than my original one back in 96 could have ever been! 😀

It’s actually made me consider selling my Intense Spider to fund a Hei Hei project……. Hmmmmmmm…………

rossi46
    Free Member

Bank holiday bump 😀

Show me more of your Kona’s……

muppetville
    Free Member

The Bike

Kona Hahanna ’97 (i think) Used everyday to commute to work and enjoy the odd bike tour too!

muppetville
    Free Member

Kona Hahanna

Fully loaded! Still going strong. Only changes are pedals and V Brakes!

steezysix
    Free Member

It’s not retro, although 2011 was “so last year”, but it is a Kona Steely so I’m putting it in! Now sporting a pair of Sektors that are slightly more “trail” appropriate (and considerably lighter)…

SamB
    Free Member

Not a great picture, but this is my old ’98 Fire Mountain. My first ‘proper’ MTB! Still lives at home with the parents, but I keep thinking of sprucing it up with an 80mm Psylo and a front disc and using it as my London hack bike…

kerv
    Free Member

Never miss an opportunity to post a pic of my ’97 Explosif. Owned since new and still ridden every week. It’s hanging up in my garage at the moment covered in mud from its last outing.

’97 Explosif by Kerv F, on Flickr

rossi46
    Free Member

Theres mud out there now!
    Wheres those muddy steelies?

Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘90's Steely Kona's- Retro Content’ is closed to new replies.