Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • 900 lumen P7 torches from DX
  • gab344
    Free Member

There's goin' to be hell to pay when troutie sees the above pic 😀

Olly
    Free Member

ive got a Deal Extreme bike light, and its all i need.
    put it on helmet, battery in camel back, jobs a goodun 🙂

trouties seems a bit daft to me, you might as well just go riding in the day?

Northwind

"It's hardly bizarre, a decent helmet mount, light weight and a much longer burn time would explain it. People spend vast amounts on drivetrain components that are near enough identical other than weight, a couple of hundred quid on some decent lights seems reasonable. "

Cobblers frankly. The Diablo IS just a P7 torch in a different shell, it has the exact same burn time as an equivalent DX torch, except that you can't change the battery so it's much less useful. It's also heavier, not lighter.

The Joystick can manage better burn times due to putting out massively less light. But a 5-mode P7 torch can beat it on both burn time and output in the middle settings.

The mounting is nice. But you can fit a DX torch into a Joystick mount 😉 Or, you can use something like my Patented Red Postie Rubber Bands mount, which is a wee bit more stable than the joystick mount and lighter, and more adaptable. (I'll just not mention the part where it's miles harder to fit it well than a Joystick 😉 Ooops!)

Northwind

Bigface0_0 – Member

"I got mine, used it once in the cold -4 and the switch stopped working, never to work again… Its now enjoying its new life in the Bin!!!"

Why on earth would you throw it in the bin, they come with a full warranty 😛 Mine have a good few hundred hours of use now and still both absolutely good as new, even the one I dropped down 3 flights of stone steps and the one that I smacked into a tree at glentress

"like I said the thing that put me off was it just stoppped working in the middle of no where and I rode back to the car in the pitch black."

Any light can fail, so going out with only one is a bit daft, even the very best won't do much lighting if you manage to bang them off a rock or rip out a cable. But even if they were as unreliable as you say- they're not- you could buy 3 for the price of your Vision 2, never mind the Hope 4. Fit 2, if one fails you still have more light than the Hope one can manage, and a spare when you get home!

of course, any one of these lights is better in use than a Hope 2 never mind 2, despite being 1/3rd the price and having twice the burn time (for the P7 bikelight)

beerbelly
    Free Member

Mounty

Got mine from lumilite took about a week for delivery it's been ace well pleased 🙂

Beerbelly (AKA Beermonsta)

mollski
    Free Member

WERE CAN YOU BUY THEM IN THE UK PLEASE GUYS?do i need a charger with the light and mount or does it all come with the torch??

stilltortoise
    Free Member
    lightman
    Free Member

I sell them over here, the flashlights that is.
    Ive got 4 in stock with everything you need.
    It'll cost more than DX, but you get full warranty from me if you have any problems, and the light is tested and checked over before you get it.

PM me if interested.

To anyone else ordering from DX just now, dont forget its Chinese New Year and DX wont be back to work till the 20th, so stop getting annoyed if they dont reply to you!

z1ppy

Mollski you can buy the P7 Bike Torch (bastid) from here in the UK as a complete unit (lamp, battery, charging unit and mount):
    http://www.lumilite.co.uk/

I'm unaware of anyone selling the P7 'normal' type torch in the UK, other than ebay. If you buy the 'normal' torch you still need to buy batteries (not a std UK type), a charger for them & a mount:

TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Battery (2500mAh 2-Pack Blue) – other higher rated batteries are available.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.05790
    Digital Li-Ion 18650 Battery Charger
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.06105
    Universal UK Travel Power Adapter Plug
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.02709
    As for mounting, lot of ppl DIY it or theres the 2 fish lock block.

I have to say the our orders came through in 10days without issue and so did my Bastid from Dealextreme, not sure there would be a back-log/delay on the normal type torches but haven't ordered anything from them since last Oct so don't know for sure.

mollski
    Free Member

thanks guys wicked 8)

mollski
    Free Member

lightman i will have 1 please

takisawa2

z1ppy…you dont necessarily have to get the adapter, the charger has 100-250v input so you can lop off the 2-pin & wire on a 3-pin.

lightman
    Free Member

mollski, you've got mail.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Cobblers frankly.

Cobblers? And then you concede all 3 points? FWIW I have a joystick and a p7 torch, I have no trouble seeing why people opt for a joystick over a P7 as a helmet mounted torch.

trout
    Free Member

Ha Ha nice one but that is the wrong picture this is the bastid on low

takisawa2

trout…pah.!!!

P7 torch on low setting…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

ROFL at takisawa2. Brill!

z1ppy

z1ppy…you dont necessarily have to get the adapter

I know but as a first time buyer he might not be aware & it only a pound.

pypdjl – Member
    FWIW I have a joystick and a p7 torch, I have no trouble seeing why people opt for a joystick over a P7 as a helmet mounted torch.

You must be one of the few then, all my M8's who owned joysticks, bought a P7 and flogged their JS on ebay. Not that I'd suggest the DX P7 is perfect.

Mounty_73

Mounty

Got mine from lumilite took about a week for delivery it's been ace well pleased

Beerbelly (AKA Beermonsta)

Alright mate, cheers for that, I wasn't sure about the site…but they are good aren't they!

HarveyStedham
    Free Member

I bought a P7 torch off ebay, um probably 18 months ago now and a cheap handlebar mount. Havent been out on a night ride for ages, but it always did the job! My mate has a hope 900 lumen thing and sure the P7 wasnt as bright but mine didnt cost over £200!!

What i dont get though is that set up has 4 batteries!!! And says 3 hours?? I have used my torch on full power for over 2 hours nearly 3 and it still didnt go flat. Yeah it was a bit dimmer then started but not overly noticeable!

Id definitely recomend a P7 for anyone wanting to night ride on a budget! Only issue i had with mine is the weight of the torch on the cheap mount would keep causing it to rotate on bumps!! Sorted with a bit of rubber though.

nevertoomanybikes
    Free Member

I've got a P7 torch kit on fleabay just now. I'm running one of the DX Bastids just now, but thinking of moving to one of these for commuting – so much easier to pop on and off.

colin@rush
    Free Member

I bought a P7 light dual mode from Ebay about 2months ago.
    Not sure if mine is faulty but its not as bright as my Hope Vision 2 Which is claimed i think at 400-450 Lumens…
    I would say its closer to 250 Lumens maybe 300.
    It is well made and i got 2 batteries but i'm a bit gutted its not as bright as i thought it would be, i have emailed the guy from ebay 3 times without response, the torch seems to be working fine and the contacts etc seem to be good but there's no way my one is 900 Lumens not even close to it…

Albanach
    Free Member

lightman – how much we talking?

nevertoomanybikes
    Free Member

Colin@rush, I would say that is definitely faulty. A P7 is far brighter than a Joystick, which I believe is rated at 240 lumens.

pypdjl
    Free Member

You must be one of the few then, all my M8's who owned joysticks, bought a P7 and flogged their JS on ebay.

Not in my experience, I know loads of people with joysticks, and no-one else apart from me with a P7!

I_Ache
    Free Member

HarveyStedham: Sounds like the torch I am after which one is it?

mollski
    Free Member

BEDMAKER is thaat really a p7 you got there or are you haveing a laugh?

trout
    Free Member

Mollski

Neither bedmaker or the alledged mate know where those woods are .

it is a beam shot from one of my Liberator lights that was Used by those nice people at Lumilite pretending it was a P7 bastid type beamshot.

mollski
    Free Member

THANKS TROUT some silly folk on here

Northwind

pypdjl

"Cobblers? And then you concede all 3 points?"

You must have read some different post? Actually I pointed out exactly why torches are better in every way than a Joystick or Diablo, other than the mount, but then pointed out that you can fit a torch into a joystick mount anyway so that isn't an advantage.

I've ridden with a Joystick, it was just about adequate, I can see why they used to be popular. But my mate who uses one regularily complains that when I'm behind him, he can see more by my lights than by his own. He now has a P7.

NoMountainsHere
    Free Member

Yes I would recommend them (reservedly), in fact I have 2 of them both from DX.

Mine took about a week to arrive, which I didn't think was too bad. At the time I don't think they did a UK plug charger so I got one from [/url]…now they deliver very fast!

Why recommend reservedly? Well the first one is an older type with a kinda castellated lens bezel; this has been trouble free. The second has a flat bezel and kept cutting out on me. But its an easy fix (after spending some time figuring it all out), since the barrel and bezel were just slightly too loose causing the battery to loose connection. Since then I have had no problems, though it does kick out more heat then the first one in extended use.

The bike mounts are cheap…in every sense of the word. Not had a failure, but you do need to use packing (I used a strip of rubber) to keep the torch in position especially when the doing gets rough.

Battery life is OK, but I always carry a spare (they are sold in pairs) and its easy to swap them over mid-ride.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Actually I pointed out exactly why torches are better in every way than a Joystick

Cobblers frankly. You conceded the joystick has a better burn time, and dodged the fact that they are lighter.

Northwind

Can you read at all? I'm not even sure why I'm responding but here is what I wrote:

"The Joystick can manage better burn times due to putting out massively less light. But a 5-mode P7 torch can beat it on both burn time and output in the middle settings."

So no, the joystick does not have a better burn time.

And what did I dodge about the weight? I pointed out that the Diablo is heavier 😛 The joystick's marginally lighter than a P7 but not enough to make any practical difference- 10 grams in it if you include the mountings. Which considering that the P7 throws so much more light isn't worth mentioning, you certainly don't feel a difference. (though the Joystick's high mount does make it feel heavier than it is)

pypdjl
    Free Member

I said: "a decent helmet mount, light weight and a much longer burn time would explain it." Presumably when you said "cobblers", you actually meant: "yes, it is lighter and has a better helmet mount, but the burn times are approximately the same"? Only if that is what you intended to say, it would have been clearer to actually say it!

Northwind

Oh shut up. Can't be bothered with your nonsense.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Classy.

roughneck
    Free Member

Northwind I'm with you. Pypdjl your talking sh@te.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Ok I'm getting very bored of this thread now as well, if you'd just point out the shite in stating that something is lighter than something else when it is, in fact, lighter?

Dreadped
    Free Member

I bought mine direct, took about a week to arrive and cost 52 quid. Had it on for 2.5 hours the other night and was as bright as my MaxxD. Hard to attach to helmet as elastic straps too small. Any ideas?

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘900 lumen P7 torches from DX’ is closed to new replies.