Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 9 speed rear Cassette & Chain
  • wombat

It's time to replace my chain and cassette and wondered if anyone had any opinions about which manufacturer is best (as if I needed to ask…)

I currently have a shimano chain and cassette running through a Sram xo long cage rear mech. It all works fine. Any reason to change to a Sram chain?

soobalias
    Free Member

i always buy sram chains, for the magic link
    but i buy shimano cassettes usually as XT is cheaper than PG990(?) – i was less picky when i had a proper freehub.

robarnold
    Free Member

A new chain won't run on a worn front chain ring, you usually have to replace at least middle and small rings at the same time as replacing your chain & cassette to avoid chronic chain suck. PG990 cassette and PC991 chain from CRC comes to about 80 quid – top quality kit at a very decent price. Worth getting XT grade or Middleburn front chain rings as they last much longer than lesser ones

uplink
    Free Member

I like SRAM chains & cassettes – CRC had PG990s for £45

I usually go through 3 chains for every cassette & 2 cassettes for every set of chain rings

cynic-al
    Free Member

IME shimano chains shift slightly better than SRAM, though the latter's joining links are nice.

IME expensive cassettes do not last any longer.

Macavity
    Free Member

Marchisio sprockets seem to last longer than most.
    Highpath
    Webbline
    ParkerInternational

Although they do not have the same slick gear changes as Sram, Shimano.

nosedive
    Free Member

Ive just replaced mine, thought I would try SRAM for a change, I usually use XT. Seemed that the 980 SRAM cassette was more or less equivalent on price so got that. Its not as good as an XT though and has less (only 5?) of the cogs held by the ally spider. Will go back to XT or look for a 990 next time. Check out Merlin for good deals on chain + cassette

Northwind

XT or SLX cassette, KMC chains for me.

robarnold wrote, "A new chain won't run on a worn front chain ring, you usually have to replace at least middle and small rings at the same time as replacing your chain & cassette to avoid chronic chain suck."

Or, replace your chain on time.

nickc

IME expensive cassettes do not last any longer.

True enough, generally though, it's an easy way of loosing a bunch of weight. LX 9 speed 11-32 327g, XT equivalent 260g.

FWIW XT cassettes, SRAM PG951 and XT mech seems to work for me…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘9 speed rear Cassette & Chain’ is closed to new replies.