Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 9 Speed confusion – help please
  • huggis
    Free Member

Hi I’m looking to replace the wheels on my cross bike with Shimano RX830’s. Current rear wheel is built on a XT FH-M765 freehub and uses a 9 speed cassette. I want to find out if the RX830 wheel will take the same cassette. The RX830 uses the same freehub as the RS81 road wheels. The RX830 and RS81 have their compatibility listed as 10/11 or 8/9/10/11 depending on which website you visit. Thanks for any advice.

rossburton
    Free Member

If a hub can do 10 speed then it can do 9 speed, as the only difference is that the cassette sprockets are closer together.

Same for 8 speed I think, and Shimano MTB 11 speed. I believe the 11 speed road stuff is slightly different somehow but as I don’t ride road I don’t know what is actually different.

Leigh
    Free Member

Should be fine although you will need a spacer behind the cassette which usually comes with new wheels

Junkyard
    Free Member

no need for a spacer on a 10 speed set up for MTB or road/cross either

the cassette is the same width but the gaps are smaller

huggis
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Sounds like it’s a goer 🙂

ampthill

And yes they have the same 135mm rear spacing as the XT hub……

simondbarnes

Ignore Junkyard, you’ll need an 11spd spacer to run 9 or 10 speed cassettes on that wheel.

crashrash

freehub is the same for all – just need a spacer for 9 or 10 speed.

Junkyard
    Free Member

he is correct i misread the question and thought 10 speed to 9 rather than 11- 9 you need a spacer sorry 😳

huggis
    Free Member

Hi guys reading into this further it seems that a 10/11 speed cassette is actually narrower than the 9 speed cassette? If so then I guess spacers would not be needed ?

simondbarnes

Hi guys reading into this further it seems that a 10/11 speed cassette is actually narrower than the 9 speed cassette? If so then I guess spacers would not be needed ?

It’s really rather simple. To run a 9spd cassette on that hub you need an 11spd spacer. To run a 10spd cassette on that hub you need an 11spd spacer (and if it’s a 105 or above Shimano cassette you’ll also need a 1mm spacer which comes with those cassettes). To run an 11spd cassette on that hub you do not need a spacer (unless it’s an 11spd Shimano MTB cassette in which case you’ll need an 11spd spacer)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘9 Speed confusion – help please’ is closed to new replies.