Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 853 anniversary Inbred frame – worth selling?
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’ve got a 20″ 853 anniversary Inbred frame in Sand (weak tea) sat in my shed doing nothing (as it has been for a couple of years). It’s well used with some paint chips (especially under the down tube) and some small bits of rusting around the cable guides and bottle bosses; there’s also the inevitable chainsuck damage, although this is relatively minor (compared to some I’ve seen). There’s also some minor paint damage where a anti-chainsuck plate was fitted.

All in all it’s not in too bad a shape and I suspect would have plenty more life left in it if anyone wanted to give it some TLC but I’m a little wary of the pitfalls of selling a frame online (Ebay) with a few pictures. I’d sell it ‘as is’ but obviously there’s always the risk of someone wanting to send it back, and the hassle that that would entail.

So, what do folk think; would something like this sell or does its value and the potential hassle put a dampener on it (it might look quite nice on the bike shed wall as an ornament in that case)?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

collection only, or just say what you have said above

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They go for about £150
    If you don’t want it, someone else will, but don’t ‘give it away’!

Stick it on the classifieds here!

johnellison
    Free Member

They go for about £150
    If you don’t want it, someone else will, but don’t ‘give it away’!

There’s one just gone on FleaBay for £80…

nixie

I bought then sold one (as it was too big) for around £100. £150 is optimistic I think. Nice frame though.

plumber
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 In that pink

Never sell them though

PJay
    Free Member

It might be worth a try than. It was probably the nicest frame I’ve ever ridden and it’s a bit of a shame for it to be doing nothing.

nuke

Sold my 16″ in fairly good condition (some chainsuck damage but fairly superficial) in Nov 2011…got just under £120 on ebay. Nice frame and did regret selling it but thought it best to sell on before it needed a new chainstay

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

[quoteThere’s one just gone on FleaBay for £80…[/quote]

Look how much a normal inbred sells for on the classifieds here. About £100. These are worth more.. SS specific ones maybe less than geared ones, and small or large sizes less than a 16 or 18 in.
    Wild guess – that one you saw was a well used SS in a large size.
    I’ve got one, and I have a search going in eBay for them, I know what they sell for.
    I’m not letting mine go. It’s a keeper. Well, now I’ve sorted the chain suck it is. 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

I love mine. I can’t see myself selling it any time soon.

150 sounds high though. iirc I paid 170 for mine about 5 years ago.

nuke

To be fair, they were ‘only’ £249 new back when I bought mine in the Spring of 2007 so I was happy with £120 after 4.5 years!

colande
    Free Member

PeterPoddy……..Well, now I’ve sorted the chain suck it is.

I know a bit off topic but how did you sort your chain suck out?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I know a bit off topic but how did you sort your chain suck out?

You’re not gonna like the answer, but after the chainstay snapped I had a new one welded in.
    The OE stay lasted a year in which I fitted 3 new chainrings to try and stop the suck.
    4.5 years later the new stay is virtually untouched, and chainsuck simply doesn’t happen any more. I should take a fresh pic of it actually, but here are the old ones from whenI first had the frame redone.
    I simply had a straighter chainstay put in. There’s simply no need for that S bend in the stay at all, but I guess simple straight stays don’t look as cool and don’t sell as well……
    With the OE stay, a 2.5mm BB spacer fitted like a feeler gauge, now I can get my finger in there.

IMG_7230 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

IMG_7253 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

150 sounds high though.

it probably is to be fair. More like £125 now. I think I might have been a bit OTT.
    Mine’s had nearly £200 spent on it, and I doubt I’ll ever sell it, I’ve had it 5.5 years now and have no intention of getting rid of it, and it’s still the bike I use most, athough it looks a tad different now

IMG_1412 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

colande
    Free Member

Cheers PP
    I’ve just realized I’ve followed a thread with your bike in the past
    mine has seemed to stop happening with a change of drivetrain
    But I am always a bit nervous 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And this is what the new stay looks like now

4.5 years after recon by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

I think that’s a point well proven. 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘853 anniversary Inbred frame – worth selling?’ is closed to new replies.