Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 800 quid to spend on a new frame…
  • rj
    Free Member

…is there any option other than an el guapo? Work will give me most of it as part of a ‘health account’, but I need a receipt, so 2nd hand is out. It’ll be an only bike (at least for a while) and has to be compatible with my Lyriks. I’ll be using it for everything from local xc to trail centres and painfully slow, mincing DH.

raisinhat
    Free Member

You’re unlikely to get your hands on one now, but maybe the old Nukeproof mega frame? I’m not sure when the new one is coming out but that one might be under £800.

rj
    Free Member

Good call on the Covert, that’s a definite possibility.

jackal
    Free Member

rj – Member
    I’ll be using it for everything from local xc to trail centres and painfully slow, mincing DH.

That’d be a hardtail of some sort then? Alpine? bfe?

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

The 2013 NP Mega frame will be around £1100 when it arrives (seems to be due January 2013).

Theres very few 2012 frames about – I did a quick google search & found a couple of small frames under £800.

The only other place I know that’s got one is Nirvana Cycles in Westcott (Surrey Hills) – yellow in Medium & under £800.

rj
    Free Member

Nope, already have a Handjob, but I’m knocking on a bit and really need some skill compensation.

rj
    Free Member

Much as I like the idea of a Mega, I suspect it would be be fun for half my riding and a bit of a drag for the rest. I’ve reluctantly had to accept that I’m probably not gnarlcore enough for the Mega as an only bike and it’s going to be a while before I can afford to build the Cove up again.

pinetree
    Free Member
    jackal
    Free Member

rj – Member
    Nope, already have a Handjob, but I’m knocking on a bit and really need some skill compensation.

Just ride more then.
    Handjob isn’t really comparable to an alpine/bfe (and the associated build/components that would go with it of course) frame is it?

Rosss
    Free Member

What size would you be after?

rj
    Free Member

Handjob is built with Lyriks, wide bars and short stem and rides fantastically – I’m not heavy so it’s plenty capable, but I want a full suss. If I wanted a hardtail that’s what I’d be asking about.

Size-wise I’m 5′ 7 with a 30″ inside leg.

james
    Free Member

What is it about a guapo that you’re questioning?

rj
    Free Member

I rode a mk 1 El Guapo a couple of years back and found it a bit too xc focused for my taste. I know it’s now been slackened and lengthened a bit, but as I can’t get a demo it’s going to be a risk.

The Hustler is also a possibility, I’ve heard good things about them.

jackal
    Free Member

rj – Member
    Handjob is built with Lyriks, wide bars and short stem and rides fantastically – I’m not heavy so it’s plenty capable, but I want a full suss. If I wanted a hardtail that’s what I’d be asking about.

Handjob with lyriks, your not running them at 160mm are you (how ever light you are)? 😯

Sorry, but at which point did you say your were after a full suspension frame for £800, and not a hardtail? My apologies for recommending a frame based on your initial requirements.

rob2
    Free Member

Anthem x ? £650 new for a 16″. Not an AM frame but if most stuff is xc and trail centres?

rj
    Free Member

You’re quite right, I should have said I was after a fs. And no I don’t run them at 160, I have them between 115 and 130mm. Heavy, but the stiffness and damping more than make up for it. I did try it at 160 once just out of curiosity. It was not a success.

jackal
    Free Member

Yes nothing wrong with running them at that travel on a handjob, the stiffness makes up for the weight too. Much prefer them to my old pikes (whatever travel I decide to run them at)…. 😀

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’m also thinking about the same thing. I very nearly bought an El Guapo but for a problem with Paypal. Now I have heard about a 29er version I am umming and aring about getting that instead. I don’t want to spend that much on a new frame as I already have two ‘superbikes’ but no full susser. I’ve never ridden a 29er in anger and I don’t really know if it is what I need. I am pretty tall 6’2 but am not bad in the technical skills department and so I am not sure if the 29er is the way to go. I basically need a bike to ride the Alps and local mountains but without uplifts. So it has to be able to get up the hill relatively well.

wors

El Guapo

tizzzzle
    Free Member

I’ve got a V3 El Guapo and it’s super awesome. 1 degree slackset, 170mm forks = scary speeds downhill and big grin.

rj
    Free Member

How does it handle for more ‘up and along’ stuff with the angleset? Does it still climb ok and how’s the bb height (although I suppose the 170 fork will compensate).

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Fine. No lockout on my 55s but quicker round the Aston Hill xc course than on old ‘am/xc’ fs bike with talas 150s (68.5 degree head angle). BB is low, but no pedal strikes yet, rails the corners and feels great. Wouldn’t want the bb any lower though

james
    Free Member

“using it for everything from local xc to trail centres and painfully slow, mincing DH”
    “found it a bit too xc focused for my taste”
    “idea of a Mega, I suspect it would be be fun for half my riding and a bit of a drag for the rest. I’ve reluctantly had to accept that I’m probably not gnarlcore enough for the Mega”

So something that pedals well but inbetween a mk1/V1/V2 El Guapo and a NP Mega for £800?
    That’ll be the (current) Titus El Guapo V3 then?
    67deg HA, abaility to go upto 2*deg slacker with works components h/set (well within budget) etc
    *upto 1.5deg with external lower cup h/set

A 150mm forked V2 EG will do much more than mince painfully slowly down a DH track

nasher
    Free Member

“idea of a Mega, I suspect it would be be fun for half my riding and a bit of a drag for the rest. I’ve reluctantly had to accept that I’m probably not gnarlcore enough for the Mega”

One of our guides has a carbon blur LT and is now riding the mega…he prefers the mega for climbing (has a steep head tube) and is a lot more fun and stable on the dexents…the mega is 60mm longer for the same size blur LT!!

rj
    Free Member

“That’ll be the (current) Titus El Guapo V3 then? “

On paper you’re right, but I’ve been stung before when I bought an Orange G2 without demoing it and hated it with a passion. Hence I’m trying to get as much information as possible as I can’t get a demo on one. The Mega has the same problem. The Covert has the advantage that I’ve ridden it and didn’t hate it.

nasher
    Free Member

if you re in the surrey area, nirvana cycles have both the mega and covert to test…. they are both very smilar bikes, but IMO the mega climbs better and a bit longer in the wheelbase

Leku
    Free Member

Chumba?

rj
    Free Member

Alas, I’m in Glasgow so difficult to get demoes on anything much.

wrecker
    Free Member

One of our guides has a carbon blur LT and is now riding the mega.

….until his blur gets fixed. 😀

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘800 quid to spend on a new frame…’ is closed to new replies.