Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 8 month old won't go through the whole night without a feed.. Zzzzzzz help!
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

I know there are a lot of parents on here, im too scared to go on mumsnet with fear of having my balls ripped off.

Joking aside…

Our little 8 month old daughter is not giving up without a fight..

6.30pm – bath

6.45-7pm – last bottle

She then wakes up the 1st time anytime between 11pm and 1am – another feed

2nd time she can wake up anytime between 2am – 4am – put the music on (mobile) and calm her down – she generally goes back off

3rd time she wakes up anytime between 5.30am – 7am and we cant really get her back, we give her another bottle and she may last 30 minutes.

We have tried a dream feed at 10pm, but this has little or no effect.

We have also tried controlled crying but we stopped it as she was getting seriously traumatised by it. (dont want to get into that argument)

I guess we have made it worse as she obviously cannot get back to sleep without a bottle.

She is still on level one milk and we are going to try the ‘hungrier baby’ milk again (did try it a while back but she was sick)

there are freak nights when she goes straight through and for thelife of us we cannot work out how or why?

any ideas or advcie, what has worked for you?

Drac

What that’s pretty good that.

Why not try more milk first rather than hungry baby as she is going nearly 12 hours without a feed.

ridingscared
    Free Member

You’ve answered your own question – controlled crying. Obviously she is not hungry (has slept through before) and assuming shes not wet or in discomfort you need to put her to bed as normal and as painful as it is ignore the crying- she will cry herself to sleep. The reason she doesn’t sleep through is she knows you will be there as soon as she cries. If its any consolation you will feel like a Jeremy Kyle parent for the first 2/3 times but its worth it.

DaRC_L

What food is she eating?
    Is it that she’s hungry and needs some proper food as the milk isn’t enough?

jeffl

Our oldest was sleeping through the night from 3 months (lucky us). Then at 4 months he started waking up. The solution that worked for us was to move him onto solids as well as milk as he was getting hungry in the night. Nothing exciting just baby rice and banana.

I know they say to wait until they’re six months old to start solids but he seems OK at the age of 7, in fact eats more than me now and isn’t a fat b’tard either.

yunki
    Free Member

yunki Jr is pretty ace.. we give him milk to help to help him kip too..

one bottle to go to bed with about 7pm… which he’ll finish before he sleeps.. then we just fill it up (without waking him) when we go to bed about 10pm..

If he wakes up it’s there and he just sorts himself out.. he’s happy through til about 7am..

We were jumping up to comfort him if he woke at any other time but I think we were being a bit precious.. if he stirs now we just leave him and he’ll calm himself after 5 minutes or so..

except for the last three nights cos he’s growing some admirable tusks.. we have to keep chasing off the ivory poachers that are camped in the trees outside his window..

I’ll second what has been said above about introducing solids..

I_Ache
    Free Member

Just go with the flow. Its much easier to get them to stop when they can understand what your saying to them. We are going to do it with our youngest soon partially because when both kids are having a bad night we can get through more than 4 pints in one night!

Timmo
    Free Member

what we did with ours (4 1/2 and 6 months) was to up the quantity of the milk, she feeds on 8oz of water in the bottles and then the formula added, were just about to cut her down to 3 feeds a day from 4 as shes been stsrting on the solids last few weeks,
    were incredibly lucky as she’s been through the night since 3 weeks old, gert the odd night when she plays up but generally been great,
    we try and time the feeds so her last feed is at 9pm and that seems to do the job, dream feeds are a bit hit and miss, (that said, sge is having sleep feed lunch bottle on me now)
    another option if not finishing the last bottle is to drop a little calpol into the milk, might help get back into the routine a little?? i know it worked with our eldest when she was a nipper.

steve-g
    Free Member

Solid food during the day, hungry baby milk at bed time. Job done. Once they are that old milk on its own just doesn’t cut it anymore.

You could also try letting her sleep less in the day, or keeping her up a bit longer so she is properly tired when you put her to bed at the later time

TooTall
    Free Member

Evening meal before the bath. We bathe ours about 7 – 7:30.
    Read for 15 min, settle her down.
    Milk at 10 to top her up.
    Wake her up about 8:30am.

You need to get into the controlled crying and that night is for sleeping. Routine is good, but I’d perhaps feed before the bath then a later bottle to see the wee one through. Why not Level 2 milk yet?

brassneck

Perfectly normal, ours have varied between 4 months and 16 months before regularly going through. Best advice I can offer is a feed at 10:00 ish (or when you go to bed) – I generally get a good 4 hours from this, and it slowly creeps up over time. Withdraw the feed when they really show no sign of wanting to wake or feed. Feeding in the sleep is as said above very much hit and miss.
    No. 3 is now generally going from 10:00 till 06:00 @ 10 months, but any illness or teething generally throws another feed in @03:00 ish.

We have also tried controlled crying but we stopped it as she was getting seriously traumatised by it. (dont want to get into that argument

It’s not controlled it’s just crying. 🙁 IMHO of course.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Ours was still b00b fed at night at that age and was waking up the same amount.

If they’re eating a good amount in the daytime it may be habit rather than hunger that wakes them up.

We limited feed time to x minutes, then reduced it by 2 minutes every couple of nights. After about 10 days he was sleeping through.

Seconded “It’s not controlled it’s just crying”. We never tried it and we’re glad we didn’t.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

OP – is the child eating solids yet?

One way of breaking waking routines is to feed water rather than milk – the baby finds it less interesting and stops waking.

Another thing you can try is breaking the routine by feeding a warmed weetabix (in milk obviously) immediately before bedtime milk – that worked with us in tricking one of ours out of her routine a while back.

But at 8 months I think you are being a bit hopeful of having many unbroken night’s sleep.

(Dad to two 21 month olds who still regularly wake for night-time feeds – long story involving lots of illnesses so we have never managed to establish a really solid routine).

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok. Let’s get one massively important point out:

Babies appetites vary hugely, depending on if they are having a growth spurt.

So just because it worked a particular way before, doesn’t mean it will again at any point.

Secondly – at 8 months, surely to goodness it’s time for real food? Sounds to me like the poor lass is starving hungry, not surprising she wakes up in the night.

Not saying this is always the case but with our kid waking in the night was always down to food – bar the occasional bout of sickness, nighmare or banging of head on bars episode.

I don’t think most babies actually want to be awake in the middle of the night tbh.

controlled crying.

Strongly disagree with this. If you were in pain or hungry how would you feel if the only people you had ignored you?

Obviously she is not hungry (has slept through before)

See above. Appetites change.

she obviously cannot get back to sleep without a bottle

Hunger innit.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You could also try letting her sleep less in the day, or keeping her up a bit longer so she is properly tired when you put her to bed at the later time

I couldn’t disagree more – encouraging a child to sleep more at night by depriving them of the daytime naps they need is wrong and has no positive effect on night-time sleeping anyway – a contented baby sleeps better than one getting over-tired and cranky.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Cheers all it’s good to know there’s others out there. (I know it could alos be a lot worse!)

I should have given more info..

She has solid food for breakfast , lunch and normally late afternoon, whether it be a small jar, some mashed up fruit/veg.

I think she may not been getting enough milk in, were currently only giving her 6oz water then 6 spoons of powder.

We have tried changing he nappy in the middle of the night but she kicks of bigtime and to be honest is still half asleep.

With regards to the controlled crying we are not going to go back to this, we tried it for a week and she cried for about 4 hours and had several accidents, not putting her through that again

I get what you’re saying above about going with the flow and when they are a wee bit older maybe they will have more grasp of what’s happening…

It’s ironic as the poor thing had her first bad cold a few weeks back and she was so tired and ‘calpol’d’ up she used to sleep straight through and we had to literally wake her up!

DaRC_L

So just because it worked a particular way before, doesn’t mean it will again at any point.

That’s the main lesson the squids taught me! Worse than that just when you get used to looking after babies you realise they’re now toddlers and you need to understand a whole bunch of new behaviour…

Then before you know it they’re 18 and do they call, send a text or visit (when they don’t need money) 🙄

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Every baby is different so what will work for one will not always work for another.

But.. you don’t say what your are feeding her the rest of the day or how much sleep she is getting in the day time, both can influence what could be causing it.
    In my none expert opinion can be one of three things:

1. Not eating enough in the daytime
    2. Not sleeping enough in the day time/sleeping too much
    3. Likes the attention she is getting when she wakes up in the night.

Personally I think you have got #3. Does she shut up as soon as she gets attention/milk in the night?

Jnr FD is now 11 months old and had an illness about 5 weeks ago. He slept in our bed for a couple of nights and was very unsettled for about 2-3 more while he was sick. He has then however kept waking up in the middle of the night since crying his eyes out. As soon as he gets in to bed with Mrs FD he shuts up.

We have started the controled crying thing… at first we literally would let him ball his eyes out for 20 mins or so, which didnt work as he just worked himself in to a major tiz.

What we have found is working is a staged approach. If we hear crying, dummy in. If that didnt work (which it wouldnt) lift him out of the cot and cuddle and sing to him untill he settled back down, back in the cot. Some nights we have repeated this 4 or 5 times and been up for 2 hours at a time. Some times it would also require physically holding him down in bed as he would always try and sit up (sounds cruel but it isnt and has worked!)

Last night he woke up once. I didnt have to lift him out of the cot, just sing to him and stroke his head. I had to go in twice but I was only up for 30 mins or so.

I can see that what we are doing is working and he is slowly learning how to get back to sleep by himself if he wakes up in the night. In fact last night I’m sure he realised he was wasting his time creating a fuss when I went in the room.

Of course you have the added problem that she is expecting milk. Cut down the amount of milk you give her in the night a small amount at a time and combine with the above.

It will take time…lots of time and you will end up being awake for longer than if you just give in and feed/cuddle etc, but it doesnt work longterm.

As to all these baby powders etc that promise extended sleep etc etc. Apparently its all b@llocks and the milks are all essentially the same. Our 11 month old gets the same Aptamil 1st stage milk he always had, just follow the guidelines of how much to mix.

molgrips
    Free Member

Can you get her to eat more food? Most babyfood at that age iirc was just watery insubstantial goo, and also remember that fruit puree is not very substantial either, and high GI too. I’d suggest some meat to be honest.

Remember that whilst there are some specific rules about what you can’t give your baby (ie the honey thing), the timescale for graduating from milk to full solids varies a lot and depends on the baby. Rather than following the programme it’s better to respond to your baby. The above evidence to me suggests she’s not getting enough substance, so now’s a good time to try more.

How many teeth, btw? We ended up with the opinion shared by some others which is that if they have teeth, they need to be allowed to use them.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It sounds to me like she needs more food before bedtime – they call it ‘cluster feeding’. Give her a substantial meal (food with pasta in, dessert with rice in), toast, things like that – stuff that will sustain her for longer. Then give her milk within an hour or so to top her up.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Sorry, ive been leaving bits out, my heads all over the shop…

She is teething and has the bottom front two through already, also during the day she does have bottles, maybe 3.

Thanks again for all the replies….

ps she only has about 2 sleeps during the day, morning can be about an hour and half and afternoon about 30mins!

pps she does not take a dummy never has doen and i dont think she ever will (i guiess not a bad thing?)

joemarshall
    Free Member

We have a book called the no cry sleep solution. Solution is a bit of a strong word, it is more a bunch of useful things to try and a sensible strategy for trying them, but it appears to mainly work for ours.

Found it much more useful having a range of strategies rather than advice from other parents, where everyone says that the thing that worked for their baby is the one true way (eg controlled crying – works for some babies not for others.)

Having said that, our 9 month old is having a major growth spurt right now and waking at 4 am for a bottle, she has jumped from 2nd to over the 50th centile suddenly, along with loads of development like learning to climb stairs and stand unaided. Sometimes they just want so much energy that they inevitably get hungry.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

milk but no solids? She should really be eating more .. probably

When Jnr FD was on milk alone he would drink every 2-3 hours and want feeding at 10 ish at night. As soon as we got him on to solids he dropped to milk 3 times a day and now milk just at night.

teething = calpol and neurofen and then not guranteed a full nights sleep!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Daytime naps seem about right (ours used to do that odd thing of napping longer in the morning too – the norm is for a longer afternoon nap).

Do you give her any painkillers for the teething pain? Perhaps try before bed (nurofen is best as it lasts longer than Calpol).

molgrips
    Free Member

the thing that worked for their baby is the one true way

The only real thing is to learn to put yourself in your baby’s position. Babies don’t want to p*ss you around or be up all night.

They’re just people after all 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

One of ours isn’t. She is the devil’s spawn. She cackles as she does things that are naughty and has that devilish glint in her eye and smile on her face that seduces you into forgiving her.

It will be fun when she is a bit older and realises how wrapped around her finger she has me.

molgrips
    Free Member

She is the devil’s spawn

Who does that make you then? 🙂

freerideste
    Free Member

Controlled crying. Painful as it may be you have to just get through it. My daughter (Now 3yo) was similar. The crying was very very tough but it paid off in the end. Good luck.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Who does that make you then?

Unlucky?

molgrips
    Free Member

Controlled crying. Painful as it may be you have to just get through it.

Teach your kid that now matter how upset she is no-one’s going to come and help.

Valuable life lesson that 🙁

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Once (over about a week) we tried leaving Evie crying as we thought she just wanted attention.

One morning there was a huge patch in her bed and it turned out she had a perforated eardrum – I can’t imagine how painful that must have been.

We have since learned to recognise the difference between pained cries and attention moans.

🙁

freerideste
    Free Member

@molgrips.

Visit: http://www.askbaby.com/baby-sleep-training.htm

It may not work for everyone but it is a well known well practiced process. The alternative is to continue as is and become more stressed exhausted parents which in turn will probably lead to a more stressed baby.

As I said it was tough. Hearing her cry for 30 seconds near kills me but we got through it and we are all (especially my daughter) better off for it.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Crying down with a baby under six weeks usually lasts between five and 10 minutes, although with some babies who have become over-tired and fight sleep, it can last up to 20 minutes. If you find the crying hard to ignore try and wait for five to 10 minutes before going in to your baby.

Under six weeks? That is jolly early to start ‘training’ a baby.

A couple of things that made us wary of it: Some babies don’t cry themselves to sleep (or may be awake for a reason, like being hungry or whatever) in that case this is just cruelty. Also, some people claim that if you look at brain scans of babies who have been taught not to cry when they are scared, they are just as stressed, they have just learnt that there’s no point crying, because no one is going to comfort them, which seems like a horrible life lesson.

We’ve always found with our baby, that when she cries, there is a reason. Sometimes it is hard to know what it is she needs, or she just needs comforting, but I don’t believe that someone so young is really trying to manipulate me purely for attention.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think there are possibly better ways of encouraging sleeping through the night than simply enforcing it.

After all babies get their circadian rythmn fairly early, after which point they are likely to sleep through provided nothing else is wrong.

As MF says there’s a difference between attention seeking and distress I beleive.

The core night works on the principle that once a baby sleeps for one longer spell in the night over several nights, he shouldn’t be fed again during the hours slept in the course of the core night.

This would have been torture for us and Meg. When she was on a growth spurt she could be screaming for hours in the middle of the night. We finally figured out that we could give her a fruit pouch and bam – out.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But back to the OP – I do feel his pain. 21 months and probably 21 days out of all that our girls have slept through.

🙁

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Molgrips – your going off your experience, just like everyone else is.

Babies have different reasons for waking. Some its hunger, pain, too tired, not tired enough, used to be awake at 4am, wanting a cuddle etc etc.

However what I think does happen is that many people fall in to the trap of a baby waking up in the night repeatedly after an episode of having one of the above. It is then very easy to get in to a habit of feeding in the night or cuddling without realising it and before long the baby gets used to it and wants it. (because they have limited intelligence) our son can ball his eyes out until you go in to the room when he will laugh and giggle, and bounce up and down whilst rubbing his eyes and yawning as though he wants to be asleep. Go out of the room and he will ball his eyes out again.

Occasionally we have given our son extra milk in the night when we ‘think’ he is having a growth spurt, but I dont think you can tell until after the case. Knowing when to stop is difficult, I know our sone if we do it for too long it would become habit and he would expect it every night.

As to responding to crying, as a parent you should be able to distinguish between all the different types of cry, its worrying if you cant.

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips – your going off your experience, just like everyone else is.

Not just mine. Other people’s too, although not first hand.

Babies have different reasons for waking. Some its hunger, pain, too tired, not tired enough, used to be awake at 4am, wanting a cuddle etc etc.

That’s exactly what I am saying.

our son can ball his eyes out until you go in to the room when he will laugh and giggle

Again, that’s what I was saying – have to differentiate between attention seeking and real problems.

when we ‘think’ he is having a growth spurt, but I dont think you can tell until after the case.

With Meg we can tell because she starts eating tons more and asking for lots more food, both day and night.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘8 month old won't go through the whole night without a feed.. Zzzzzzz help!’ is closed to new replies.