Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 7800 – Dura Ace versus 6700 Ultegra – which would you go for?
  • GJP
    Free Member

All things being roughly equal say price and use (e.g. a very lightly used DA versus a new Ultegra) then which would you go for? Do people think that the older series DA is appreciably lighter or “better”?

Context is I am looking for a new frameset. I have a little used mainly all DA groupo (< 300 miles), but aesthetically the newer Ultegra is much neater and the 6700 on my other bike is wonderful a real step up from the 6600 and that was also a cracker.

To be honest I always preferred the Ultegra brakes – the DA brakes are probably technically better, but I thought they had too much modulation for me. I seem to prefer the on/off mode of braking.

Thx

donsimon
    Free Member

The more expensive coz it’s better. 😉

njee20
    Free Member

I’d go for 7800, unless Ultegra Di2 was an option – when it’d be that. You could mix and match – 6700 STI’s, brakes and front mech with 7800 elsewhere.

GJP
    Free Member

njee20 – Haven’t looked as Di2 in any detail, but just saw the price of the F/Mech and it was pretty off putting.

I thought the newer series and older series were not perfectly matched? Can’t really remember whether this was STis and Mechs or STIs and brakes, or it was just LBS BS.

Currently the DA bits I have are STIs, brakes and both Mechs and the chainset is Ultegra, so the mix and match option is biased towards Ultegra

Maybe I should just think about switching out the shifters, my mate wants to buy the DA shifters

njee20
    Free Member

Brakes, STI’s and front mechs have to match, you can change other bits. I replaced some 7800 STI’s last year, and they still command good money! I could have got 6700 for less.

GJP
    Free Member

njee20 – Thanks for clarifying that. Given the mix I have at the moment the only component were i have any flexibility is the rear mech. So it is either stay as is or move to 6700, ignoring what c/set I decide to go for.

Out of interest how much did you get for you 7800 STIs and what condition were they in? I suspect yours had seen more use than mine 😆

bikerbruce
    Free Member

go for the best shifters and rear mech and the rest makes less difference

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from 105 to DuraAce 7800 on my cross bike, (1*10), and it really is a beautiful system, go for it.

LS
    Free Member

7800 every time. Faultless.

GJP
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Overwhelming support to stay with my current DA 7800 stuff.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve got a similar choice between Dura Ace 7900 or Ultegra Di2.They come out at more or less the same price,ultegra Di2 is a fair bit heavier though.Its only drivetrain as I’ve got some Rotor cranks and cnc brakes already.
    If Ultegra Di2 had remote sprint shifters available now it’d be a done deal but there no eta for when they will be out.
    Choices,choices 😉

jimc101
    Free Member

Having used both, have just sold the 7800 Dura Ace, the 6700 shifts better, and the under bar shifters look nicer.

fisha
    Free Member

I don’t like hoods as much on the new shimano stuff, but I think the newer stuff shifts better tho

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above, until you get Di2, stick with Ultegra.

Haven’t had a chance to try the new electronic Ultegra, mind you…..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘7800 – Dura Ace versus 6700 Ultegra – which would you go for?’ is closed to new replies.