Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 78 RPM records
  • eth3er
    Free Member

I helped a friend move and as a reward I am now the proud owner of a Decca Telesmatic Soundbox (circa 1915). It is a beautiful thing.
    Now for the rub, where do I get 78 rpm records? I’ve been told it’l chew out vinyl.
    Looks a bit like this.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

My grandmas cellar. She had a stack of them for years but no player. Not sure what happened to them since the house was sold though.

eth3er
    Free Member

You tease so hard it hurts.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Me or my grandma?

She was a bit of a goer in her youth you know

😉

Lifer
    Free Member

Ebay? Discogs?

You definitely need some Edith Piaf though!

eth3er
    Free Member

I was thinking more like Muddy Waters, but i’ll get me some Piaf if I can find it.

Milkie
    Free Member

I still have a bunch of 78’s in my mums loft.. Sorry but I’m not giving them away, I have batman on 78 and a load of other crap music.

That ‘thing’ does look like it will kill a vinyl in about 2 plays.. 😯

eth3er
    Free Member

Just found 78rpm think I’ll just buy a box of 20 jazz/swing records – wonder what’ll be in it.

eth3er
    Free Member

Oooh hamsters! It’s been a while.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Auction houses. My local has dozens of 78s every week.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

My old boys got hundreds of the things in his loft. I’m surprised the ceiling hasn’t come through as they weigh a ton. 😯

LycraLout
    Free Member

you’ll need needles as well – only a couple of plays per needle. people collect the needle boxes, so you might be able to pick up the needles out of the box from a dealer/flea market. iirc, columbia had a cool mixed box with “extra volume”, “extra bass” and “extra treble” needles

see if you can’t find some nat king cole

eth3er
    Free Member

Mrs got me a record last night; seems a record only has two songs, one per side. Good sound though, i’d never had a gramophone play up close.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘78 RPM records’ is closed to new replies.