Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 725mm bars to 740mm – Anybody notice a big difference
  • Vortexracing

Just noticed my Race Face Sixc carbon bars have cracked 🙁

and I’m unsure to buy the same again (but turbine ally bars)@ 725mm wide or plumb for some Renthal Fatbar lites at 740mm.

is 15mm big enough to bother with?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Going up, you’ll not notice. If you come back down its enough to feel really odd.

bikeneil
    Free Member

I thought the sixc bars were 785? Where/how did they crack?

Vortexracing

Mine are a few years old, hence 725mm wide and just to the right of the clamp on the stem. Glad I spotted it. Had an off at Gisburn on Friday, reckon it was that. TBH they have had a few spills 😳

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Why not go 750-760? Unless you’re tiny or xc racing it’s much better

nickc

notice for a bit, then it just becomes a bit normal again. Renthal bars are a bit harsh after carbon (I’ve found)

bikeneil
    Free Member

I had some fatbar carbons and really didn’t get on with them. I found them an odd shape and quite harsh. I much prefer the sixc bars i have bow.

Vortexracing

Unless you’re tiny

I am, I’m only 5ft 4″

I was hoping to save some dosh by going ally, rather than carbon, now you lot have got me wondering?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Ah ok, 740/750 would be the biggest I’d go if I were you then. There are lots of good xc/trail alloy bars, everyone says renthal fatbar because they’re fashionable! I know someone selling a pair of Raceface Atlas Bars in 755mm cheaply! 😉

Check out the Kore OCD at CRC, they only have it in silver, and it’s wide so you’ll want to cut it down, but a very light ally bar and only £35

johnhe

I have 3 bikes with 720, 750 and 760 bars respectively.

I’d say that yes, you notice a difference between all of them – even between 750 and 760mm. But the bars are different brands and I may just be noticing the sweep/rise difference rather than just the width.

In any case, the 760 Nukeproof feels noticably nicer to me than the 750mm Funns, which feel substantially nicer than the 720mm Answer bars.

However, having said all of that, once you ride the bike for a while, you forget all of that and they just feel like handlebars.

Vortexracing

Cheers guys, I may opt for the Renthal after all, if I go for the 725mm alloy Race Face, although the shape will be the same as the sixc they replace, I won’t have chance to try the new fangled wide bars, and will always be wondering if they will make me a riding God 🙄

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘725mm bars to 740mm – Anybody notice a big difference’ is closed to new replies.