Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 70mm stem too long for 750mm bars?
  • dougieb
    Free Member

Been running 710 bars with 70mm stems for a while and tempted to try out some 750′ bars. The question is will the steering feel sluggish with a 70mm stem? Thinking that at a fraction under 6 ft a 50mm stem may make the cockpit of my medium five a tad short.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get a 60mm stem then. But wider bars effectively lengthen the cockpit anyway, so if you keep the 70mm you’ll be more stretched out.

tablesalt
    Free Member

yep

Bernaard
    Free Member

So to that effect I am moving from a 90mm stem with 710mm bars to a 60mm stem with 750mm bars
    Sound about right?

trailflow
    Free Member

will the steering feel sluggish with a 70mm stem

the steering wont feel that much different

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve gone from 70mm stem with 690mm bars, to 760mm bars (intending to cut them down a touch tho, when I get round to it). Like trailflow, I didn’t feel much difference to the steering, not in the way you’re suggesting anyway, like you do when dramatically lengthening/shortening stems.
    Apart from the obvious arms being wider apart, the main difference I found:

slightly improved balance in a straight line and cornering

had to relearn hoofing the bike up steps and large obsticals/step ups, arms being wider apart is a less efficient action, so more effort required pulling up hard on the bars to get the bike up a big step up..

Personally, unless you’re a big bloke with massive shoulders, 690mm-710mm is better IMO.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘70mm stem too long for 750mm bars?’ is closed to new replies.