Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 700c/29" disc rims for 35mm tyres?
  • a11y

Looking at building new wheels for my commuter and – purely aesthetically – would prefer black disc-specific rims, i.e. no sidewall. I can’t find much in the way of disc-specific 700c rims (Mavic A317, DT Swiss X470, WTB SpeedDisc) and am wondering if anyone’s tried CX/road tyres on any 29″ MTB disc rims?

Tyres I use are 700 x 35 Schwalbe CX comps and are as narrow as I intend going.

I don’t want to spend too much either as it’s a commuter after all. The above rims are all around £25-35 each, so that sort of budget really.

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions? Thanks.

GavinB

When I bought my Roadrat secondhand it came with Sun Ringle EQ23 29er disc rims. I run them with 35mm 700c Schwalbe Land Cruisers during the snow, and errr, 32mm 700cConti something or other all other times.

No problems fit wise, and seem very tough rims.

bedmaker

Halo Aerotrack?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I have a pair of Bonty Race Lite disc 29er wheels (not the Race Lite or X Lite or anything like that). I think they have stopped making these as the bottom of the range, but you may be lucky turning a set up.

Bombproof, anything 28c and upwards will fit fine. I ran 35c spikers this winter.

a11y

Thanks folks.

I think I’ve decided on a slightly different change of plan: upgrading my MTB SS 29er wheels (which I was planning on doing sometime before September/Ireland anyway) and reusing the rims on my commuting wheels. They’re Bonty Mustangs and are quite narrow for a MTB rim but I’ll try my 700×35 tyres on them first before deciding on anything.

thomthumb
    Free Member

They’re Bonty Mustangs and are quite narrow for a MTB rim but I’ll try my 700×35 tyres on them first before deciding on anything.

mustangs and 35c will be fine.

a11y

Thanks – I hoped that would be the case.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘700c/29" disc rims for 35mm tyres?’ is closed to new replies.