Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 700c commuting tyres. What's good?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Looking for something for year round riding, all on road, around 28/32mm. I'm going to convert them to tubeless so wire bead might make more sense.

Ed2001
    Free Member

schwalbe marathon plus.Although can be **** getting on some rims

theboatman
    Free Member

I finally finished off some conti gatorskins earlier this year, which were a great tyre, and replaced them with some 28 specialized all condition amadillo tyres with a wire bead, and these also seem grand. They will have to go some to out live the conti's, but at present no gripes and only £13 each from my LBS.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers guys. The schwalbe sound good if they've got a tight bead. Might be just the ticket for tubeless.

rootes1

go for marathons and not plus, non plus one are not quite has bomb proof but still pretty good… I tend to get 1 puncture per tyre per year on my Brompton and that is used all year round…… I have gatorskins on road bike – seem fine… Panaracer Ribmo is worth a look, grippy and all round puncture protection……

As for marathon pluses being tight,guy at work had one that was soo loose it got sent back… Replacement was better.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Conti ultra gator skins, fast as you like

foxyrider
    Free Member

Conti 4 seasons for me 🙂 Good compromise between hard wearing vs grip 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

GP4season 32's here as well, great tyres, never run out of grip.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

n.b I commutes on GP4000 23c for 2 summers, no problems (and only 3 punctures) with those either so make of that what you will.

MoreCashThanDash

If you could face going down to 25mm, try Michelin Krylion Carbons – £20 a tyre from CRC when I last got some – got one puncture in something like 3000 miles of commuting the mean and glass strewn strets of Nottingham

Onzadog
    Free Member

I'd love to go down to 25mm as I'd like to fit the Hutchinson Intensive. However, I've already got the rims which are 19mm which wont work with a tyre that narrow.

Conti seems to be getting a lot of love for this.

tom84
    Free Member

i like gatorskins too but actually got through mine quite a bit quicker than my old armadillos: they used to be a bit unpredictable in the wet but i heard this has been improved, the conti's were very grippy. I am running stelvios which have been great so far, bit classier, lots faster but still no puntures. I think the contis are really cheap no? that has to be a good thing.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Marathons/Marathon Pluses. Excellent tyres. The Pluses weigh a bit and are probably not worth going for if you're doing tubeless though- they have a whopper of a puncture belt in them.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Does the bead stretch much on the GP4 Seasons? As I'm going tubeless, I'm a bit weary of kevlar beads?

ton

just swapped my shwalbe marathons for a set of vittoria randonnuers.
    seem pretty fast and tough. cowbag to get on a alesa sputnik rim tho.

Poggy
    Free Member

Ultra Gator Skins for sure! 3000 miles not one single puncture, i've never found anything so reliable when it comes to puncture resistancy!

Keep them over 110psi & they are pretty fast rolloing too 🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

Gatorskins for roads, Marathon Plus for everything.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Gatorskins are looking favourite so far then. The standard Marathons look good but seems a lot heavier. The Marathon Plus are really heavy!

druidh
    Free Member

I use the GP4 Seasons (28mm) for commuting and touring. Two punctures this year, but that's in a couple of thousand km.

The Marathons (and the Pluses) are great if you really, really, really want to avoid getting a puncture on a cold, dark, wet November night.

Kevevs
    Free Member

specialized nimbus armadillo.
    Schwalbe Marathon plus. (don't really notice the weight)

damitamit
    Free Member

I just put on a set of 30c Marathon Racers today. Will see how they go…

pinches
    Free Member

i'd run GP4 seasons personally, although i don't know how "tight" they are on the bead, they are a good balance of comfort/grip/puncture resistance/rolling resistance.

Although, i've just put GP 4000 S on mine!

Onzadog
    Free Member

cheers for all the info guys.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Conti GP 4 season for me but it depends what your route is like. I very seldon, like 2 in 4 years, get punctures on the road section of my commute but the problem starts when I get on the cycle path with grit, glass, stones, etc.

I've tried the following, although there have been others that I can't remember –

Michelin krylion carbons – lots of punctures after about a month, very disappointed.
    Michelin Pro3 race – not bad but glass/grit gets through easily.
    Bontrager hardcase – good puncture resistance but very wooden feel
    Vittoria open corsa evo cx – stunningly fast, grippy tyre but cut up pretty easily and started to puncture after a month.

The gp4 season has been the best at puncture resistance by a long, long way.

schwalbe marathon plus are pretty heavy.

I do fancy trying a set of vittoria open pave though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Touch wood, I've never had a puncture with my converted tubeless Specialized Borough tyres. My commute in is arterial main road pretty much all the way with a few residential roads. I'll occasionally run down a canal path or gravel track in my own time but fixing a puncture there or a nice day isn't a real hardship as I'd not be trying to get to work on time or out riding in silly weathers.

turboferret

Schwalbe marathon plus here, fitted some before coming out to India, where the roads aren't the finest in the world 😕

Quite heavy, and needed to use a few zip-ties to help fit them, but have been great.

Cheers, Rich

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Panaracer Ribmo is worth a look, grippy and all round puncture protection

I've got a Ribmo on the back and while I'm happy with the puncture resistance I find it a bit sketchy in the wet, enough that when I needed a new front one I went for a Borough CX instead- also pretty good

traildog
    Free Member

Are you ok to use tubeless at high pressures, on narrow tyres? Any talk about in the cyclocross world seems to say it's not very successful at all.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I'll not be using high pressure. I've been running Alex Ac-19 rims with stan's 26" rim strips in there and standard wire beaded Specialized Borough tyres 32mm. Run at 60 psi for about 2 years with no issue. I'd love to use a tubeless specific tyre but no one makes anythign wider than 25mm which won't sit properly on a 19mm rim like the Arch I've got.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm just about to order some Gatorskins unless anyone has a startling last minute contribution.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘700c commuting tyres. What's good?’ is closed to new replies.