Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 700c and 29er wheels
  • russianbob
    Free Member

There’s a prize for the first person who tells me exactly how many posts there already are about this topic. And another prize for the first person to post one of them google search links….

I have a CX bike with 700c wheels. The hubs are rubbish so I wish to either rebuild on existing rims or buy new wheels depending on what is cheaper. Could someone tell me if 700c wheels are the same size as 29er wheels? And if so is the difference in name just there to distinguish between MTB and road variants?

Thanks.

Bob

antigee

I claim my prize!
    here’s one
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/700-x-28c-tyre-on-a-stans-crest-rim-will-it-work

tyre width is the thing to look at 29er rims are intended for wider tyres but lost of people seem happy running stuff narrower than the mnfrs spec

russianbob
    Free Member

Wicked, thanks. Brand new Nicolai Helius AM in the post.

shortcut

And 29 is about the external diameter with tyres.

Check the width of the drop outs on you XC frame before buying.

clubber
    Free Member

Dammit 🙂

29er and 700c are the same size though 29er rims will typically be wider. I use Stans arch ex 29er rims on my CX bike with CX tyres.

russianbob
    Free Member

Thanks again chaps.

flange
    Free Member

I’m currently running a set of WTB i9 rims on my (disc) road bike. Using 28mm gatorskins, it seems to work a treat. My only concern is about pressures (running much higher pressure than road tyres) but they haven’t gone bang……yet

rOcKeTdOg

Just make sure u can take 135mm spacing

captainsideburns
    Free Member

+1 rocketdog.
    The rims are same diameter, but CX bike might have a rear axle spacing which is road width or Mtb standard which 135mm wide.

clubber
    Free Member

FWIW, most 130 frames will take a 135 wheel ok IME

njee20
    Free Member

And the vast majority of disc ‘cross frames are 135mm anyway.

soobalias
    Free Member

always knew that the 9rs and the roadies were the same, why dont we have a sub forum for them.
    and whats with all the lycra?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘700c and 29er wheels’ is closed to new replies.