Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Sub £20 700c 25-28mm tyre for commuting/occassional touring use
  • martinhurton
    Free Member

Hi all,

Looking for a new front tyre (and soon a rear) for my hybrid bike. It’s got 700c wheels with a 23mm rear and 25mm front tyre on at the moment. I think 25-28mm would be good for comfort as the rear is a bit harsh at the moment. I don’t want the bike to be slow, but I’m not racing.

Any recommendations? Not after something super heavy, but I would like something reliable, reasonably puncture resistant, and most importantly good grip in the wet (as I’m avoiding wet roads at the moment!). Roads are generally ok around here, although there are a few farm tracks that are a bit rough and gravelly.

The bike is mostly used instead of the car for work/college/shopping, although I do like to have some fun with the speed/acceleration difference over my mountain bike. I accept that I may need a different tyre for touring in the future.

How do these look?

Budget: cheap is good for me, and certainly something under £20 a tyre.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Check out the Vittoria Randonneur Pro 2 tyres on Planet X

Linky

The 32c comes up really narrow and more like a 28c.

Got them on my winter training bike, seem okay to me in the wet (and I’ve got lots of experience of that recently)

And £15 a tyre too…. 😛

martinhurton
    Free Member

Thanks, they do look pretty good and I see them in 28mm elsewhere.

tang
    Free Member
    martinhurton
    Free Member

Just popped to Halfords and the lad recommended these:

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20ultra%20gatorskin.shtml

Having had a look at some reviews online, they get a great write up, and they’re only 99p over budget. Much lighter and slicker than other tyres, but seemingly tough, hard wearing and good in the wet.

Wouldn’t have considered them before due to the look of them, but I’m tempted now…

martinhurton
    Free Member

Thanks Tang, they look similar to the gatorskins above, but a bit lighter.

I think the gatorskins might be top of my list now to be honest. I like Conti tyres on my mountain bike (always been impressed with the quality) so “trust them”.

argyle
    Free Member
    jonathan
    Free Member

Gatorskins are pretty lifeless when you compare them back-to-back with other road tyres. I don’t like their wet grip much either. They do live forever though.

Vittoria Rubino Pro are nice in 25c – sort of bridging the gap between a faster road tyre and a chunkier touring tire – Wiggle and CRC have them for about 20 quid each.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-rubino-pro-folding-clincher-tyre/

1p under budget 😉

jonathan
    Free Member

I should qualify that – most “puncture resistant” tyres can feel a bit lifeless and lacking in grip as they are (necessarily) less supple than other tyres. So that’s just the price you pay for the resilience.

riddoch

Michelin lithium if you can find them in 25mm.

p8ddy
    Free Member

Decathlon do Michelin slicks in 700×28 for £8 an end. They don’t last brilliantly, but you’ll get a few thousand miles out of them and I had less punctures on them than I’m currently getting with the stupid Conti Gatorskins I’m running now. And they cost £25 an end.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Conti GP 4 seasons 28c were on sale on probikekit about a month ago for about £50 with tcb

Edric64
    Free Member

I use 25mm Gatorskins on my Audax bike they rarely puncture .How does a tyre feel lifeless .I can see how you notice a lack of grip but in 35 years of riding road bikes have not heard the term lifeless to describe a tyre before or do you need 650b to feel alive ? 😀

martinhurton
    Free Member

Edric64 – how do you find them in the wet? I’m pretty nervous cornering on skinny tyres at the moment (will get used to it I guess) but take the car or bus if it’s wet. Do you think the Gatorskins are a good tyre for a beginner, to help inspire some confidence? Admittedly my current tyres are a mixed pair and pretty cracked, so not the best for starting out!

antigee

Just picked up a pair of swalbe marathon green guards from wiggle wired bead £20 each second set I find they run well on gravelled tracks and not had any punctures in the city despite some obvious glass cuts
    Heavy but do the job

Cycling in the rain only tips are do nothing suddenly pick line early for bends and junctions stick with it and be aware that gravel and stuff will wash out on the inside of beds and the centre of junctions so go wide
    Be even more defensive approaching junctions – traffic slows in the rain so drivers are running later, take more risks in poorer visibility

toby1

I’m also a fan of spending a little more for Marathons and never needing to buy replacement tubes. Currently have been using a set for over a year with no problems and very limited signs of wear.

antigee

Double post but read beds as bends in first post to make sense

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Rutland cycles are selling the Giant P-SL (?) tyres in 28mm folding for £7 quid each reduced from £30. The 28mm ones have some kind of puncture resistant belt in them.

I’ve used the 23mm and they were fine, just ordered some 28mm’s for another bike.

Can’t go wrong for £7 each surely?!

martinhurton
    Free Member

Thanks all, and some useful advice antigee.

Typically I got a flat this-morning, and the front tyre is pretty cracked so I’ll be buying something tomorrow. Torn between the Marathons and the Gatorskins to be honest, mostly because of uch good write-ups and they are available locally.

saladdodger
    Free Member

mtbtomo

thanks for the info about rutland cycles a set of 28’s are on there way

jeffl

I got a pair oh Halo twin rails 29mm from Cycle Surgery for £18 each. Took an age to arrive though.

jeffl

Double post!

boxfish
    Free Member

Bontrager Racelite Hardcase can be had for £15 each. I’ve been through 4 sets in 5 years.

1 puncture in that time 8)

martinhurton
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice above. Went for the Schwalbe Marathon GreenGuard 700x25c. Got them for £35 delivered, for a pair!

A bit heavier than I’d liked, but once I get a pannier rack fitted (need this as a heavy rucksack is hurting my back), I think I’ll be glad of a tougher tyre.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Sub £20 700c 25-28mm tyre for commuting/occassional touring use’ is closed to new replies.