Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • 7000 lumens v. 900 lumens
  • swoosh
    Free Member

So my 4 year old MagicShine 808 has been more or less unused for a couple of years and so the battery is a bit shot and doesn’t hold the charge for very long anymore. Decided to splash out all of £20 on a 7000 lumen 5x Cree T6 led light. I wasn’t expecting it to be 7 times more powerful but seeing as it was only £20 I didn’t really mind what it was like.

The Nestling is 355g for battery and head unit, whilst the MagicShine is 453g despite having a smaller head unit. The battery on the Nestling is much smaller than the MagicShine I have (the one with the battery that was actually sealed).

Here are some comparison shots. All the outside shots were taken with a 2″ exposure, ISO 100 and f8 for anyone who cares about that sort of stuff. The lights were both positioned about 20cm to the left of the camera.

The table and chairs are about 10m away and the hedge is 13m away.

How they look on the bars
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ABTUyi]DSC_3843[/url] by Richard McBrayne, on Flickr

Only ambient light
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/AAGrM7]DSC_3850[/url] by Richard McBrayne, on Flickr

MagicShine 808 on high
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/AAGurW]DSC_3848[/url] by Richard McBrayne, on Flickr

MagicShine 808 on low
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ACTjNH]DSC_3849[/url] by Richard McBrayne, on Flickr

Nestling on high (there is a bit of additional flare in this shot where the camera picked up the light reflecting through the very fine mist that was in the air)
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ABTSgc]DSC_3846[/url] by Richard McBrayne, on Flickr

Nestling on low
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ACTnQ4]DSC_3847[/url] by Richard McBrayne, on Flickr

Conclusion:
    Definitely not 7 times as powerful but still really bright. The spread of light is a bit better from the Nestling light, slightly wider and not as focused at the middle. Also, the colour of the light is slightly blue-er. This might take a little to get used to as it’s not like a lot of the street lights or other ambient lights that you might get when riding at night, more like daylight though.

Will probably repeat these shots when it’s a clear night and there isn’t any mist to interfere with the shots.

jimjam
    Free Member

Cheap Chinese lights in “Not entirely factual description” shocker”.

retro83
    Free Member

Nice one, cheers for that.

Can you update the thread with how the battery life is when you’ve used it a few times?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Cheap Chinese lights in “Not entirely factual description” shocker”.

..but still actually pretty good and amazing value. Wasn’t all that long ago that you had to pay about £200 for similar brightness – ok, that would probably get something more durable and reliable, but still…

molgrips
    Free Member

So my 4 year old MagicShine 808 has been more or less unused for a couple of years and so the battery is a bit shot and doesn’t hold the charge for very long anymore. Decided to splash out all of £20 on a 7000 lumen 5x Cree T6 led light.

You’ve got this completely the wrong way round. You’ve changed a good light with a bad battery for another probably good light with a probably crap battery. Just buy a new battery for your old lamp, from MTBbatteries.co.uk! Or, if you like the new lamp, buy a replacement battery for that.

The lamp and the battery aren’t inseperable parts of a whole, you know.

convert

Perceived light output is an exponential relationship – i.e. doubling the lumens does not double the perceived light level. Also, need to understand the difference between lumen and Lux. People often confuse the two. Quite a bit of that increased stated lumen output is being used to enhance the breadth of the beam, not the intensity of the light.

lightman
    Free Member

1000-lumens-v-500-lumens

There you go, I fixed the title from you.

philjunior
    Free Member

Of course you know that to appear twice as bright it would have to be around 10 times as powerful, don’t you?
    (IIRC – it’s logarithmic not linear anyway)

zippykona

I can’t do beam shots but this light is brighter than my magicshine 872, which is brighter than my solar storm which is just a bit brighter than my mk 10 joystick.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Just buy a new battery for your old lamp, from MTBbatteries.co.uk! Or, if you like the new lamp, buy a replacement battery for that.

This anything over 500 lumens is adequate for night riding really and the real cost[and value] is in a battery that works
    My cheap ones have never lasted more than 2 hours

jimjam
    Free Member

Junkyard –
    anything over 50 lumens is adequate for night riding really

On your own, slowly, on trails you know…..maybe.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes My error edited above to 500

50 would be a tad low 😳

nemesis
    Free Member

I started out night riding with a 2.4w halogen light…

I was slow though 😉

retro83
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    This anything over 50 lumens is adequate for night riding really

Junkyard pictured earlier

philjunior
    Free Member

My first set came with a 2.4W and a 10W (6v halogen with a lead acid battery!)

I upgraded the 2.4W bulb to a 10W bulb, got about 2-3hrs run time – just enough to ride to the clubhouse, get a ride in, and back to my student halls. Lights were off at every stop and full power was used sparingly!

I recently rode some techy trails at night with a 400 lumen (allegedly) head torch and 850 lumen (from a company I trust) bar light, and didn’t feel at any particular disadvantage. Previously with 850 on the bars I have had to ease off a bit (mainly around tight corners).

hugo
    Free Member

The lamp and the battery aren’t inseperable parts of a whole, you know.

Very much agreed! It looks like a bargain getting a battery pack with a lamp, but you get what you pay for.

Get a decent battery pack (mtb batteries, torchy, etc) and you’ve got the best of both worlds.

lovewookie

I bought one of the 10,000 lumen 9 cree LED ones for a punt, think it cost about £35 from a UK seller.

so far, having used it about a dozen times, the battery hasn’t caught fire, and I get over 2.5 hours out of it, which is great for what I need.

I have a ‘1000’ lumen magicshine-a-like, a Gloworm X2 and a home made triple Cree in a lumicycle halogen can thing too.

so, gladly, it’s much brighter than the magicshinealike, and different to the other two. It’s difficult to compare as the gloworm spreads light in a much more useful way, gives plenty of spot and a nice even spread across the ground. The triple cree was setup as more of a spot helmet light, to run alongside the X2, or the MS-alike as a bar, so has far better penetration than any light.

However, I’d say that the cheapy light is a bit brighter than the X2, but doesn’t quite push the power to the distance like the X2. Actual light hitting the distance may be the same, or more, but the huge amount of light on the ground means that the central spot looks darker.

bargain for £30 though.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got a stack of quality batteries, so I am quite tempted to pick up some of these ridiculous light units and see.

I want a small lamp unit for my helmet that has a reasonable spot, but not silly concentrated like the one I have which produces a spot about 2ft across from 20 yards. And is stupidly cheap because I will use my existing batteries.

dragon
    Free Member

anything over 500 350 lumens is adequate for night riding really

Although actually you can probably get away with a bit less. TBH I’d rather have a reliable weaker light than a unreliable brighter one.

Amazing how far things have come though, there was an article by Brant back in MBUK in about 1990 of them going up Snowden with Petzel Headtorches and those crappy Everready bike lights 😯

swoosh
    Free Member

Yeah, interesting how much lights have changed. I first started with 5watt halogens and a battery the size of my backpack and now it’s huge numbers of lumens and batteries the size of a fag packet!

I was aware that I just needed to replace the battery but as it was only a couple of quid more for a complete system I decided to go down that route and I’ve got an option to put the magicshine on the helmet with a battery that will work for the short times I will need the helmet light.

lovewookie

Amazing how far things have come though, there was an article by Brant back in MBUK in about 1990 of them going up Snowden with Petzel Headtorches and those crappy Everready bike lights

yeah it is, my first nightriding light back in about 1993 was a 50W halogen MR11 in a bit of plumbing pipe hooked up to a 4Ah SLA battery in a modified bottle cage.

it was all kinds of awesome, until the police were called as they thought there were motorbikes on the Malverns. Apparenly quite visible..

jonathan
    Free Member

I think I’ll have to dig out my old Cygolite Night Explorers (actually a reasonable 10w + 10w) and see how they do 😉

I actually find anything getting towards 1000 lumens can be a bit too bright – too much glare – but I guess that depends a bit on how good the spread is.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Very much agreed! It looks like a bargain getting a battery pack with a lamp, but you get what you pay for.

Get a decent battery pack (mtb batteries, torchy, etc) and you’ve got the best of both worlds.

This +1 again.

4x Samsung 18650 cells are about £35 (which are good enough to drive MTB lights), Panasonic about £50 (they’re better, but not really in any usefull way for MTB lights) on Amazon. If you’re buying lights for much less than that then the batteries are going to be poor.

yeah it is, my first nightriding light back in about 1993 was a 50W halogen MR11 in a bit of plumbing pipe hooked up to a 4Ah SLA battery in a modified bottle cage.

it was all kinds of awesome, until the police were called as they thought there were motorbikes on the Malverns. Apparenly quite visible.. The scary thing is, the brighter LED lights are 30W (or more) now! Funny what you get used to.

brassneck

For Molgrips

Not stupidly cheap unfortunately, but very small, very bright. Fancy one with a 2 cell battery all fixed on the helmet.

alanl
    Free Member

On the subject, in mag. 101, there is a review of lights.
    One is £700+. Ok, it is a comparison, so get the best in to see what it’s like against the others.
    But, the lowest is £55 – surely Chipps reads the threads here, and sees lights regularly recommended here at £35 or less?
    The majority of the tested group was over £200 – come on, get real, how many people actually buy these?
    Maybe set your bar a little lower ST, and review some of the cheaper stuff that real people buy?

takisawa2

There are only ever two winners in a cheap lights thread…

brassneck

Maybe set your bar a little lower ST, and review some of the cheaper stuff that real people buy?

AFAIK they review what they are sent, rather than scouring the market. Else they’d end up with an awful lot of lights, gilets, wide rimmed wheelsets etc etc knocking about. Which doesn’t sound terrible to me 🙂

lightman
    Free Member

The problem is with the reflector size.
    In the effort to make everything smaller, they reduce the reflector and then have to increase the lumens to make up for that.
    Lumens is a worthless figure if the reflector doesn’t or cant do its job, its just wasted light.

As others have said, the old 10w Halogen lights were pretty good (for the day) because the reflector was big it made all the difference, and you could get away with smaller output.
    Whereas now, some of the small lights these days could probably fit inside the old 10w halogen head unit/reflector!

IdleJon

The majority of the tested group was over £200 – come on, get real, how many people actually buy these?

There’s probably a pretty even spread of expensive v cheap lights in the group I ride with. The less regular riders tend to the cheaper, for obvious reasons. Most of us regulars have at least two lights as well. But then we’re out every Thursday of the year as a group, plus commuting and stuff, so most of us aimed for something reliable, and that costs a bit more.

I’m probably fairly representative with an old Hope 4* bar light and a far cheaper, equally powerful helmet light.

So, to answer your question, plenty of us pay for decent lights. Reliability; decent bar/helmet mounts that don’t need to be cobbled together and don’t wobble; decent back-up – all worth it.

*My Hope is 6 years old now, it cost me £250. It doesn’t take a genius to do the maths. 😉

nemesis
    Free Member

Interesting but I’d note that of people I ride with there’s no correlation between how much people ride and them spending more on lights. In fact, I’d argue entirely anecdotally that those who ride more know about decent cheap chinese lights and which models to go for so are more likely to use those knowing that they work fine.

I make this point each year when the ST mag reviews do lights. As I see it, they should be telling readers what the best value lights are and that should include silly cheap ones that are proven to be reliable (or at least as reliable as the expensive, supposedly more reliable ones).

They usually respond that they test what they’re sent and I get that but I still feel that they should be reviewing the cheap ones even if it means buying some themselves. Not to do so or at the minimum to inform that much cheaper lights that still perform fine exist is doing their readership a disservice.

I’m sure the ‘proper’ manufacturers and distributors would be pissed off but that’s how it goes in my view.

willyboy
    Free Member

My magicshine (mj808?) is nearly 6 years old and cost me £20. I’d say that’s good value for money.

I’ve decided I’d like to try a helmet light, so I’ve bought one of these off Torchy to see how I get on – crazily I’m going to make a helmet mount for it! It may wobble, or then again, it may not; only time will tell…….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They don’t buy up all the lights to test, they get them sent to them, so if there isn’t an importer/distributor/shop then they won’t get sent any.

I’d say it’s 50:50 between Chinese and UK made lights in the group I used to ride with (billy no mates now).

Part of the problem is that there are 100’s of Chinese lights out there, of vastly variable quality, even if you tested last yeast light-du-jour the “solarstorm X2”, how to you recommend people buy them when the market was flooded with fakes that looked similar?

That combined with the fact that with batteries “you get what you pay for”, and some peoples desire to partake in the race to the bottom, it’s hardly surprising the mags don’t even attempt to cover Chinese lights.

FWIW one of the mags did include an MJ-808 back when they were still the light to get, it scored average. The Chinese lights are good and cheap, but the more expensive lights are better, more reliable, longer running and with backup if things go wrong.

Discoslure, i have:
    MJ-808
    Smudge Lumeator
    Assorted chinese crap bought last year, that was all, crap (and since binned).

I’m waiting for in the post:
    A battery box to make my own battery.
    Nitefighter BT-70

TBH the hours spent researching batteries, lights, chargers etc I could probably just have done some overtime and bought a 4fourth or similar.

nemesis
    Free Member

tinas – that’s a good article then – “Cheap Chinese lights – are they any good/safe/reliable/etc?”

Or is the mag just there to publicise products that (mainly UK) distributors want to sell to us? I hope not because for me, that’s what the lesser mtb mags already do.

IdleJon

. In fact, I’d argue entirely anecdotally that those who ride more know about decent cheap chinese lights and which models to go for so are more likely to use those knowing that they work fine.

Surely you’d be less likely to know which ones are good because you’d have a reliable set and wouldn’t need to be scanning reviews regularly? 😉

nemesis
    Free Member

I have a feeling that might be a logic fail 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Or is the mag just there to publicise products that (mainly UK) distributors want to sell to us? I hope not because for me, that’s what the lesser mtb mags already do.

There’s probably an element of that. Why go out of your way to cheese off the advertisers who keep you in business?

In the same way the MTBR forum never gets a mention in the mag, but STW does. Despite the MTBR forum being a far more useful source of information.

nemesis
    Free Member

Well it comes down to who you’re producing the mag for – if it’s for the readers’ best interests then the advertisers’ views shouldn’t really matter.

But then I guess they’re running a business and probably have to apply an element of pragmatism to what they do.

Advertising your direct competitor is somewhat different in my view and besides, I disagree that MTBR forums are more useful…

swoosh
    Free Member

I have had these for a couple of weeks now and am currently running a test on battery life as it’s been charged/discharged a few times now.

I’ll report back with full results later, but so far it’s been running at full power for 49 minutes without the light changing from green (although it does only have green and red modes)

swoosh
    Free Member

So the indicator went red after 51mins and then the light went out at 55mins. That was on high the whole time.

Just charged the battery and it took 2hours for the light on the charger to go green. I disconnected the battery a few mins then charged again and the light was red so the indicator might not be the most reliable.

Will test again with light on low setting.

johnnystorm

Are you cooling the lamp? If it’s on full just sat there it’ll possibly overheat.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘7000 lumens v. 900 lumens’ is closed to new replies.