Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • 70 years ago tonight
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Bears repeating, I think:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNF28p6wkOs[/video]

Harry_the_Spider

And we should remember that most of the German forces were fighting on the Eastern Front, so the Western Allies were only facing a fraction of the opposition they might have had.

Not sure what point you are trying to make here.

pennine
    Free Member

My father, following two years on a destroyer during the ‘Battle of the Atlantic’ was transferred to minesweepers in the North Sea. They spent many days sweeping the Normandy coast.
    Using a quote from ‘They led the Way’ – “…. but the minesweepers were the vanguard, even before the paratroopers and the gliders; and those of us following behind had cause to be grateful to them for their work that night.”
    The planners had expected high casualties but in the event the minesweepers were so successful very few ships were sunk that day.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Carry On Up The D-Day.

Apparently, our “master spy” in Europe who helped enable the landing’s success was…. A Spanish chicken farmer called Garbo.

Marvellous. Pimms all round, I think. 😀

richmtb

My paternal Grandfather was in the BEF, evacuated from Dunkirk and then returned to Normandy on D-day + 2. He wasn’t frontline though, a cook.

My maternal Grandfather was an infantry Sgt in Burma, the war left some pretty deep mental scars on him though, he was a kind old man but you could tell he was haunted by what he had seen and done in Burma.

They both passed a good few years ago, but I’ll raise a glass to them both tonight.

From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remember’d;
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Blimey Woppit, that’s brought a lump and some dust into the office.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Which?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And we should remember that most of the German forces were fighting on the Eastern Front, so the Western Allies were only facing a fraction of the opposition they might have had.

The fact that the Allies faced 50,000 Germans, and not more than that, had very little to do with the Eastern Front and a hell of a lot to do with the outstanding success of Operation Fortitude – the D-Day deception operation.

It was also greatly helped by the fact that in addition to the hundreds of locomotives the French Resistance destroyed in the run up to D Day they destroyed a further 52 locomotives and cut railway lines in 500 places on D Day itself.

“The dice is on the carpet”

and “It is hot in Suez”

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member
    Which?
    POSTED 5 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Carry On Up The D-Day

Sid James as Ike
    Charles Hawtrey as Monty
    Kenneth Williams as Rommel
    Hattie Jaques as the Mulberry Harbour.

muddyfool

My grandad was there, as well as missing the evacuation of Dunkirk (due to an injured companion – they had to hide out in France for some time afterwards) plus fighting in Africa and other places.

I spent a few days touring the beaches and cemeteries of Normandy a few years ago, from the grand impressive but busy American to the small peaceful British ones (still perfectly-kept) in the corners of sleepy villages. I’ll always remember a quiet chat (in my very limited French) with an elderly French couple out walking through one of the British ones. Also visited Pont du Hoc which was the closest I’ve been to imagining what they went through. Would recommend the trip to anyone but spend a few days there.

My grandfather never spoke of his experiences, I was in my early teens when he passed away and wasn’t interested in ‘history’ anyway. But I always wish I’d had the opportunity to talk to him about it, and now that I’m older to express my gratitude for what he and so many others did. As others have said, it’s incredible to compare our lives with to the things they went through. We don’t know how lucky we are.

Northwind

Both my grandads had basically finished their wars- one was more or less forgotten about in India, they flew his squadron’s planes and flight crew back to europe and left the ground crew behind, too much hassle. He got home for VE day. The other was pottering around the Italian coast- probably a nice change to the arctic convoys. They used to take the piss out of each other something rotten, d-day dodgers…

athgray
    Free Member

My grandad spent most of the war in a Stalag Luft POW camp after being captured at Tobruk.

kjcc25
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsVQMfxIfks[/video]

Watched the concert from the Albert Hall last night. Jim Radford was the highlight of the evening. A well deserved standing ovation.

jamj1974

I often wonder if our generation would have been up to what these men and women did for us. I somehow doubt it.

I don’t. People will and do still pull together in times of crisis. I hope my children do not have to though…

A maternal great-grandfather was a submariner at the time – his main effort in the war was done. My maternal grandfather was in training and soon to be a Coldstream Guard in 1945 and so missed it. My uncle Eric was as a professional soldier rather than a conscript. He said it was a dreadful experience – particularly the fierce fighting behind the beachheads. I could never see Eric as a trained killing machine, he was a lovely, kind, gentle and humble man…

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘70 years ago tonight’ is closed to new replies.