Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 7-seater used car options
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I find myself in need of a car that can regularly seat 2 adults and 4 kids, cars I’ve considered are:

Disco – expensive to buy and run
    XC90 – ditto although a bit cheaper than LR
    S-Max – looks nice for an MPV and they are quite reasonable used now – although are the rearmost seats any good for more than short trips?

Or should I just go the whole hog and get a big MPV?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Some of the bigger estates have a third row of seats I think? Volvo and honda off the top of my head.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Friends have an S-Max and i’ve been quite impressed. Not much luggage space with all the seats in though

Espace – consistently the best and most flexible in my experience BUT it’s made by Renault and WILL blow up in spectacular fashion

midlifecrashes

How big are the kids and the budget? Loads more options out there these days. Few have “full size” rear seats though. Mitsubishi Grandis has good back end room, S-Max is good for room but a bit claustrophobic because of the window layout, especially with tinted glass. Grand Voyager is very good for space if that’s what you need.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Three of the kids are 10, the fourth is nearly 7

midlifecrashes

WANT!
    My dad had a CX Familiale, followed by a Pug504 family and a SAAB 95.

nickf
    Free Member

Discovery 3 – Thirsty, heavy, but the best car I’ve owned. The 3rd row of seats are fine for full-sized adults, though this does mean you need a roof box if you’re using all the seats.

XC90 – I had one for 80k miles; great, but third row of seats is really only suitable for kids up to the age of 10/11, for long journeys at least. Out kids are that age, which is why we changed.

S-Max – rear seats pretty small

Chrysler Grand Voyager – appalling in every way, but large.

Galaxy – pretty good; I don’t think the trim quality is up to much, but it all seems to hang together.

If you really need space, a Peugeot 806 is astonishingly dull but very large and van-like. Also very cheap secondhand.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Toyota Verso has 7 seats doesn’t it?

gwj72
    Free Member

Sorted!

midlifecrashes

Toyota Verso has 7 seats doesn’t it?

Not big ones though, my Honda Stream back row are loads bigger and are now getting too small for our gang (14/11/9).

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Honda FRV? Proper size seats and reasonable boot.
    Or its got to be the MPV route, Renault Espace or Toyata Previa.
    But if the budget is big, Merc R-Class. A mate who has 4 kids has one and its lovely.

matt_outandabout

That CX is ace!!!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

and thinking about it, if the budget isn’t big, a merc W124 E-class diesel is about £4k and has seats in the boot.

molgrips
    Free Member

Do your family a favour and get a full sized MPV.

Or a VW transporter – even more room 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Surely that’s a DS not a CX?

Digger90
    Free Member

Our 2006 Kia Sedona is a proper 7 seater – with full leather, semi-Captain’s seats in middle row, frt/rear aircon, Turbo Diesel, Auto, 30mpg.. etc.

Plus, sliding doors both sides so the kiddies don’t smack the doors into the car parked right next to you.

And they’re inexpensive to buy.

michaelbowden

How about a slightly new Citroen than the one above. C4 Grand Picasso. Avoid the 1.6hdi unless it has been perfectly dealer serviced though.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Anyone tried the Kia/Hyundai 7 seater SUVs?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Been driving our XC90 for the last 9 years and it still feels current. very comfy, safe, great load carrier and not too bad on fuel (but we do have a Golf for running around).
    Nothing else out there makes me think I should change – even if I did have the money.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Crikey those Merc R-class with 6 seats are a bargain used!

Bear
    Free Member

also in this position, kids from 13 to 10, but really want it to be able to carry enough gear for maybe a weeks camping.

PePPeR

Another vote for the KIA Sedona, big cheap and reliable. Get the new 2.2 engined version though as it’s much more economical and is a much lighter (200kg) lighter engine!

ji
    Free Member

Hmm Personally wouldn’t touch another Sedona after having lots of unidentified problems – several thousand pounds of repairs (some in warranty, some not) were one issue, but the other was that most independent garages won’t touch one as you need Kia’s diagnostic stuff (£70 to just plug it in) and they are also so large they don’t fit on some car transporters.

The trim is nice, but DVD player failed 4 times (replaced under warranty until that ran out and then we gave up).

That was the old model, but brother has had the same issues with the new one. There is a reason they are cheap.

I would look at Galaxy, Espace, S-Max personally.

Bear
    Free Member

looked at a Volks caddy maxi life which looks great, just can’t afford one!

Alcopop
    Free Member

As above Citroen C4 grand Picasso rear seat easily folded down flat giving plenty of space had one for the past couple of months liking it very much

takisawa2

Galaxy here, the older VW based one. (54plate 130hp TDi). Very happy with it. If you reglarly carry 4 kids then leaving the middle seat out means no faffing around tipping seats to get to the back. Rearmost seats slide forwards so can still give a reasonable boot. My advice would be buy cheap though, as its an old model now. Ford stopped theirs in 06′ but Seat’s Alhambra went to a 59 plate I think. Galaxy/Alhambra/Sharran bascially the same car, albeit with different lights, trim etc. (They were all built on the same production line). Few common problems, but not expensive ones. Ours returns 36 – 42 mpg.
    We had a Verso before, great car but no boot with rear seats up. And the rear seats have very little leg room.
    The older shape Kia Sportage & Sorrento werent 7 seaters, but I think the latest ones are (or can be specced). Ironically the Hyundai version of the older Kia Sorrento (cant remember its name), had 7 seats, but both had an awful 2.5 engine that was heavy on fuel. (Think 25mpg heavy). That chap above with the 2000kg 2.9 Sedona doing 30mpg is a lucky man!!! 😉
    If your flush go for the latest X5, that can have 7 seats.
    Honda FRV is a 6 seater, & well worth a look.

StuF

02 VW Sharan here, suits our 4 kids (12,8,6,3.5) pretty well, we usually run with all 7 seats in, but one the rear folded down for a bit more luggage space. The only downside is getting the seats out and the storing them if you need to turn it into a van for a while – they are great for moving stuff about – we got a large 3 seat sofa inside ours the other day.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at people carriers recently.

The new shape Galaxy is nice. Bigger than the SMax.

We’re probably going to go for an Smax as we don’t really need the extra space of the Galaxy.

Also have a look at the Toyota Previa. They are big and some good deals around as they’re not v. cool.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘7-seater used car options’ is closed to new replies.