Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • 7 seater estate car – not MPV
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

We’re looking for a new car that we can take 6 or 7 people for occasional short trips. You used to be able to do this in Renault 21, Merc E class, Volvo etc but these days most 7 seaters seem to be horrible tall MPVs.

Anyone know of any normal estates that seat 7?

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

E class still have 7 seat options from what I’ve seen.

leffeboy

peugeot 307/s308 sw?

surfer
    Free Member

I have had a couple of the 307SW 7 seaters. Both very good, economical and the SE is very well specced.
    Rear 2 seats only for small children.

adi66
    Free Member

I’ve got a Honda Stream, its a few years old, but rock solid, reliable, and cost virtually nothing to buy ! I love it.

Or try a S max ? As thats what were having WHEN the Honda finally die’s wich aint going to be any time soon i think.

leffeboy

Rear 2 seats only for small children.

Not quite true. Adults can fit but you wouldn’t want to spend hours there

molgrips
    Free Member

7 seaters are tall for a reason. If you sit in the back of an estate, surely there’s nowhere to put your feet?

What’s wrong with normal 7 seaters anyway? If you think they are high sided wallowy bad handling things, I suggest you test drive one.

I drove a 170bhp Ford Galaxy a while back. It was about a million times better to drive than my older Passat Estate.

Legoman
    Free Member

As Daisy Duke said above, E-class has 2 rear-facing seats in the boot.
    I’m looking for something along similar lines and that’s the only non-MPV/4×4 I can find with 7 seats.

They don’t look massively comfortable though – I think they’re really only for children/short journeys

rkk01
    Free Member

these days most 7 seaters seem to be horrible tall MPVs.

As molgrips says – this sentence is flawed.

stumpyjon

Was also going to add MPVs are taller for a reason. You don’t have to get Espace / S Max size either, look at a VW Touran. Mine handles better than the works Passat.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Ford S-Max, if no one has mentioned it yet.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got a C-max and OK so the S-max, gallaxy and C-max grande are all a little bigger, but it really does handle ‘like a car’. And not a crap car either, I test drove a load of normal hatches and estates and it’s well above average. guess that’s due to it being based on the MK2 focus, so an S-max based on the Mondeo would seem like a really good bet.

Also, not many cars actually have full headroom for 6ft+ people in the back, mines got masses!

jota180
    Free Member

I had a 307SW, quite liked it
    If I had to pay the bills it generated though???????????

The rear 2 seats looked very scary to me, far too close to the back for me to ever put my kids in them

midlifecrashes

Another S-Max owner here, previously in a Honda Stream, which is a much more car-like drive, despite how good the S-Max is. When growing up as part of a big clan, we had Citroen CX Family and Pug 504 family version which really were just big estate cars with three rows of seats, I suppose when you look at the premium you pay for a people carrier you can see why the car companies don’t want to do it any more.

Spud

Current E Class seats in boot can only take up to 140cm tall IIRC, as with all MB options they’re pricey too.

franksinatra

Family of 5 here. Had an s-max, got rid of it, regret it and now looking for another. Top car, drives well, looks okay, very functional.

superfli
    Free Member

Honda FRV. 6 permanent seats, so full size and suitable for adults, although I would suggest the smallest go front centre.
    Thats 3 in front, 3 in back and of course you still have full capacity boot.
    We just sold ours. Never had a problem with it, just too big for our needs and the 2.0 petrol was juicy (2.2 cdti would be much better). Now have a 2.2cdti civic.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

My Dad had one of these for a bit:

Looks like a hearse and has suspension so you can make it rise up and down.

nickjb
    Free Member

I wsa always a bit anti MPV but now we have one it’s great. Very comfortable in the back, room for people and bikes or take the seats out and it’s a van. It’s also much shorter than a lot of estate cars so is easy to drive around town and park. Not ideal for ragging around country lanes but I did all that in my yoof and I’m a bit old for that sort of thing now.

kcal

Citroen Safari for the win.

Any Citroen suspension for getting along rutted farm tracks without taking half the engine out.

moniex
    Free Member

Zafira? Not really tall, cheap and a great part time 7 sweater with very flexible seating arrangements.

unovolo
    Free Member

What about a second hand Taxi ,I’m pretty sure you will get 7people in them plus a decent size boot.
    Handle like sh!te but great turning circle and easy to get parts for.

exilegeordie
    Free Member
    bruk

Merc R Class, ugly as sin but effin enormous. Mmm think original ones might only be 6 seats.

dawson

we have a Toyota Verso – has 2 small child seats in the boot that fold into the floor when not in use – not much bigger than an estate – plenty of space if all the seats are folded down

dantsw13

I have a Volvo XC90. The extra seats are proper ones, with full seatbelts, and still space behind them for luggage (much safer in a crash too). They fold away into the floor for a cavernous luggage space – I have had a big 3 seat leather sofa inside with the boot closed!!

tonyg2003

Hi. I have a E class. The rear seats are for occasional use of under 10’s only really. The R class is a bigger 7seat Merc for dedicated use.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We went down the 4×4 route – Shogun. These days I’d go for the XC90 which wasn’t around when we needed 7 seats.

tomcrow99

I had a similar query and was pointed towards one of these:

Dodge Journey

Looks a bit odd, but cheap and the diesel has a VW engine with merc running gear apparently, soon to be rebadged as a Fiat.

brassneck

I’ve been thinking on the same question for some time, and everything points back to either S Max or XC90. Not much else a family of 5 with outdoor hobbies and dog can all fit in, plus the extra seats are needed more often than I’d ever thought possible,

crispy
    Free Member

I have an 07 E320 cdi.

7 seats, 40 mpg and 7.1 sec 0-60.

What’s not to love?

EDIT: The rear seats are perfect for the kids, but they are definitely kid’s seats. No need for boosters there though, as a bonus.

Bimbler
    Free Member

The Dodge Journey – rebadged as a Fiat Freemont in Europe is not going to be released in UK, not sure why, it’s selling pretty well in Europe.

brassneck

XC70 still comes with a 7 seat option I think? If you’re sold on an estate.

CountZero

Zafira BiTurbo, 2.0 CDTi, 0-60 in 8.6 sec, 195 PS, 7-seater.

Saw three of them in Bristol on Wednesday evening, all white ones, like this. (And yes, I know this is an Opel, it’s the only image I could grab).

northernmatt

Austin Montego Countryman? That was a 7 seater iirc

Trekster

Really enjoyed having “fun” with my 2ltr Touran 😆 Had it 5yrs, now got a Sorrento for caravan towing duties. Touran was a good tow car but bigger `van = excuse for bigger car 😉
    Once you get used to sitting in the higher position of an mpv/4×4 you get to like it. MrsT was against the idea until using mpv style hire cars at work, won`t go back to a “normal” car now.
    Touran/Zaffira style is much easier to park in tight spots that a lot of modern sloping roof estate cars imo.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Hyundai Santa Fe 7 seats.

chiefinspector
    Free Member

The missus has a Mazda 5 Furano. Great car with plenty of room. The rear doors slide open instead of opening outwards. This is very handy when kids are in the back and you are parked in a tight space.

dave360

MPVish I know, but we’ll be selling our 5 month old Prius Plus in July / August because I’ve been offered a job in China. dccbysea@gmail.com

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘7 seater estate car – not MPV’ is closed to new replies.