Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • 6music RIP
  • soobalias
    Free Member

6music, good riddance, utter tosh

and agree with the above mostly…..

asian network and 1extra are similarly a waste of money.

R1 does pretty well, its daytime shows are poor but who exactly are they playing to at that time anyway?
    R2 does need to stop desperately clinging onto its baby boomers, they should be catered for by 3,4 & 7

anyone wanting to listen to anything more edgy is still using pirate radio/internet broadcasting

commercial radio picks up the remaining niches.

next up, lets slash some of the more pointless bbc digital tv channels

onewheelgood

If 6 Music goes, I don't think I'll ever turn my DAB radio on again. It isn't 6 Music that's failed, it's the whole digital radio strategy.

jumping_flea
    Free Member

I agree with freddyg

I have a DAB radio in my car and 6music is the only station I listen to. The same can be said at home.

I have lost count of the number of new bands/artists whos music I have bought from listening to them on 6music. Yes Zane Lowe's show on R1 is good and certain stuff on R2 is ok – but the majority of the music caters for either 16year old(R1) or 50 year olds(R2) until the evening time.

Not sure what I listen to now – local radio is pish – glad I got a usb Ipod connection in the car

cynic-al
    Free Member

Adam and Joe and Jon Richardson got me through many a morning's grim DIY.

A great loss!

onewheelgood

50 year olds(R2)

Hey, I'm 50 and R2 is way too old for me, apart from Radcliffe and whatshisname and Paul Jones.

verses

gutted

EDIT: Thought I'd expand on that a little…

I'll be 100% gutted if 6music is axed. It is the soul reason I invested in several DAB radios and is the only station I can turn on any hour of any day and hear something that piques my interest (apart from when George Lamb's on, obviously).

The loss of that station isn't the big issue. The erosion of any aspect of the BBC isn't a good thing, but it's doubly annoying that this will remove the only national station with a vaguely alternative music theme to it and with a genuine passion for that music.

Geronimo
    Free Member

How can it be better not to have 6Music?

anyone wanting to listen to anything more edgy is still using pirate radio/internet broadcasting

The problem with that is being able to filter out the rubbish that is a bit too 'edgy'. Whilst driving or working you don't want to be constantly monitoring the air-waves or changing channels.

R2 does need to stop desperately clinging onto its baby boomers, they should be catered for by 3,4 & 7

Agreed, although things like the "The organist entertains" and "the big band" programme are hardly baby-boomer. My parents wouldn't dream of listening to them. They would have been more suited to my Grandparents' generation
    -how many nonagenarians and centenarians are listening to R2?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

With the closure of 6 Music, which has an average listener age of 35, and an undertaking to bring more documentaries and comedy to Radio 2, the BBC will also pledge to allow commercial stations to be the main providers of popular music to listeners aged 30 to 50.

We're doomed 🙁

goslow

I'll miss it. Only station I know of that will play Velvet Underground next to Laura Marling. And as far as X-factor stuff goes they seem to hate it as much as the rest of us.

binners

Sweet Jesus. Have you listened to many commercial radio stations? I did recently and was gob-smacked by how utterly awful it is.

Looks like the lowest common denominator has triumphed once again. Hurray!

monkfish
    Free Member

As someone in my mid 40's I find i'm about 40 years too old for Radio 1 and 30 years too young for Radio 2 whereas 6 music fits my taste exactly.

I'm fortunate enough to have dab in the car and at home so the radio is tuned to 6 for quite some hours in the day. As has already been said the evenings are shite and could do with a shake up but generally with the exception of that idiot at breakfast (both weekends and mon-fri) the balance works pretty well.

Listening to 6 music has meant that I have purchased a lot of albums from bands I would not normally be exposed to and you will probably find there are some significant buyers of music in the 6 music demographic.

The BBC should invest in this type of niche broadcast rather than the lowest common denominator programme that Commercial TV splurts out in droves. A loss it will be, NME radio is not a bad alternative but how many Heart radio stations do we really need.

grumm
    Free Member

asian network and 1extra are similarly a waste of money.

SOOBalias – why? Just because you don't like them?

'The BBC is a bus not a taxi'.

lodious
    Free Member

6 music was the only reason I bought a DAB radio. OK, it's not perfect, but I love the Huey show while cooking sunday lunch, and there is some good music played. I can think of loads of cuts the BBC could make which would improve it, not make it worse…why axe 6 music?

soobalias
    Free Member

grum – Member

SOOBalias – why? Just because you don't like them?

'The BBC is a bus not a taxi'.

and why should they continue, just because you like them?
    the bbc is currently more like a huge fleet of taxis.

i am always impressed with the standards and content provided by the bbc for a very modest fee and a not insignificant amount of product endorsement within their programming.

however their expansion into the digital age was obviously experimental and the time has come to cut back some of the guff.

splatz
    Free Member

Look I'm 57 and there's no way I want to swap Lauren Laverne for Ken Bruce…..ffs I am still breathing.

I don't want to listen to adverts or the inane chatter of Radio 1 or the marshmallow middle of the road pap on Radio 2.

Murdoch should be told to go and shove it…..

monkeychild
    Free Member

I am gutted 🙁 6Music and NME are the only dab channels I listen too. Radio 1 is painful during the day, I am only 32 so that rules out any other Beeb channel.

Rio

From the BBC article:

"Music industry tastemakers revere it as a credible outlet for “real music” but a review last month showed that only 20 per cent of adults knew that the station existed. "

I'd never heard of it until I read this thread. I've just turned it on and it seems to be ok. Thanks to the impeccable taste of the STWers I may now have something else to listen to in the car instead of R4 and Planet Rock. For now. 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Adam and Joe and Jon Richardson got me through many a morning's grim DIY.

A great loss!

Jon Richardson's last show is March the 7th as it goes, going off to do Melbourne comedy festival and decided to call it a day on the radio as well. Unless he saw this coming?

chakaping
    Free Member

It's not perfect and it's a bit of an indie ghetto in the daytime, but it'll be a damn shame if it does get culled.

1extra is better than you might think. In particular Mistajam's show on weeknight evening is usually better than whatever professional northerner is doing a John Peel impression on 6music at the same time.

splatz
    Free Member

If that's 20% of the adult popn. that's a lot of people isn't it……and that for a radio station that doesn't get much marketing but relies on word of mouth.

The Tories are determined to attack the BBC and I would hazard a guess that more of the adult popn have heard of 6Radio than will vote Tory at the next election……!! Certainly more than voted for them at the last election.

phatstanley
    Free Member

Dunno if these soon-to-lost gems have been mentioned yet, but:
    maconie's freak zone – sometimes impossible to listen to, but also brilliant at times.
    bruce dickinson – if yer a fan, then no more needs to be said.
    jarvis jocker's new slot has been really brilliant, imho.

pure madness.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you don't want (too much) pop but don't like MOR naffness then XFM is about all there is now.

Otherwise, buy an internet radio and listen to any one of a thousand great 'alternative' stations from the US 🙂

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

think they're actually planning on binning FM at some point ( 2015? ), though it would free up very little bandwidth.

the plan set in the Digital Britain paper was to move all the stations presently on FM, to DAB. then sell new FM licences to new local stations, which currently boardcast on MW.

OfCom have stated a year or 2 ago that the DB time line of a 2015 switch over wasnt commercially viable, nor could they force the move as is happening in TV, since there is something like 15million analogue radios being used, and less than 2 million DAB recievers sold.
    They feel if FM stations where pushed onto DAB before there is a larger take up of DAB, then people would just stop listening – especially since there arent many in car options, and new cars dont come with DAB either. the goverment is looking at making it mandatory for them to install a DAB radio in new cars.

When you look at the DAB only stations, they just arent surviving – GMG has shut or merged many of its DAB stations with other stations. IE Rock Radio, was DAB only in the North East, it was merged with the Manchester station, which broadcasts on FM.

GCap sold off Planet Rock and the Jazz station they had…

Olly
    Free Member

IMO, they need to bin Radio 1, 2, 3, 5
    and replace them with radio 6 and be done with it.

what utter tripe.

and mad men too! thats one of the few good things theyve invested in!
    and they choose such tripe over it!
    gaaaahhh!
    no wonder i dont have a tv license.

stumpyjon

If this does happen they really do need to sort out Radio 2. Weekends and early evenings is terrible. I've only just found 6Music, don't have any DAB radios, can only get it through the telly. Like others have said i think the whole digital radio thing is a complete fail. The radios are far too expensive. As for switching off the FM signal in 2015, I think there's going to be a massive backlash over that. It's not easy or cheap to replace many car radios, not like you can stick a £ 20 box on. Most new cars today only come with a DAB radio as an expensive extra. it's the one thing I wished I'd specced when we bought our car last year.

orena45

Gah! Just as Collins & Herring were finally hitting the big time(!)*

*if you listen to their 'proper' podcast you'll know what I mean 😆

Geronimo
    Free Member

It's not easy or cheap to replace many car radios, not like you can stick a £ 20 box on

You can, for 60quid. Pure highway.

If they switch off 6Music I'll be selling mine…. unless they switch off FM too.

jumping_flea
    Free Member

especially since there arent many in car options, and new cars dont come with DAB either. the goverment is looking at making it mandatory for them to install a DAB radio in new cars.

My Ford Mondeo came with DAB

Most new cars today only come with a DAB radio as an expensive extra

Again it was standard on the spec Mondeo I got – just upgraded to have a USB port in the glove box.

Had a hire car without DAB and USB and drove round with no radio on at all – No other stations worth listening to and most of my music on on my Ipod

roger_mellie

Surely the beeb should kill off their local radio stations instead of 6 music. Does anyone actually listen to BBC Radio Norfolk?

orange
    Free Member

disappointed..

if they need to save cash they should ditch their pointless TV channels BBC 3 and 4 which are only on after 7pm

Geronimo
    Free Member

Surely the beeb should kill off their local radio stations instead of 6 music. Does anyone actually listen to BBC Radio Norfolk?

I agree, although I suspect it is aimed at the same audience as "The Organist Entertains". ie. people who were born in the 1890s.

darrenm
    Free Member
    freddyg
    Free Member

Geronimo – Member
    You can, for 60quid. Pure highway.

If they switch off 6Music I'll be selling mine…. unless they switch off FM too.

Are they any good Geronimo? Is the antenna sensitive enough?

Blower
    Free Member

No way!!! this cant be.
    Love radio6 while at work,and at weekend! proper gutted.. 😐

Blower
    Free Member

****!!

Wonder if there will be someone that will see the gap and take over from them?

LoCo
    Free Member

Nightmare 😥 pretty much only station we listen to in our house, apart from r4 guess that makes me very middle class at 32 😳

Geronimo
    Free Member

The Pure Highway is good, although you can lose reception whilst driving through some hilly rural areas.

You can either plug into the Aux socket or use it as a transmitter to your FM radio.

If you have it set so that it cuts-out during poor reception it cuts-out a little too much. If you have it set so that it doesn't cut-out it then you get 'squelching' noises from it if signal strength is poor.

freddyg
    Free Member

Ta Gerinomo

<wanders over to amazon clutching credit card….>

molgrips
    Free Member

Cheapest DAB radio at John Lewis is £30.

zokes
    Free Member

Sell off waydio wun as most of the morons listening to it wouldn't spot the adverts anyway, et voila!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘6music RIP’ is closed to new replies.