Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • 6lb steel frames…
  • vancoughcough
    Free Member

I don’t get it. Explain it to me.

chakaping
    Free Member

say please

tazzymtb

give 3 examples of 6lb steel frames

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I bought a voodoo wanga frame, that weighed 2.7kg with the dropouts.

d45yth
    Free Member

OP – I was going to buy a new hardtail frame (steel) but like you couldn’t get my head around the weight. I spent the money on a s/h titanium frame instead and I’m very pleased I did! 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKtPu1xx7Yg[/video]

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Light frames can break, heavier frames are perhaps less likely to break (although Ive broken a couple of 6lb steel frames)

Although I imagine most of the people who own them on here use them for xc mincing.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Are you thinking of any particular frame? It’s fairly easy for a frame made of cheaper steel to be nudging 6lbs. So to explain…in these cases, it’s a cost/price thing.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

My Ragley Blue Pig frame weighs 5.5lbs, doesn’t feel it though, climbs well and descends like it’s on rails. Wouldn’t XC race it, but other than that nothing not to like.

kayak23

My blender weighs the same as a small family hatchback…….but its rad..

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Horses for courses. Innit.

messiah
    Free Member

My Balfa Minuteman was 7-1/2lbs of rad-core-steelness… I still cracked it 😈

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You should try a .243 raceing ‘SL’ frame, in their defence there were 2 heavier versions ahead of it but it was about 8lb!

As for the OP, why would you buy a 4lb aluminium frame (or a 6lb one for that matter)? I mean carbon and titanium are sooooo much lighter? Or maybe, just maybe theres more to steel frames than a weight, maybe its a ‘feel’ thing, or maybe its that steels easier to make in small batches so nicer less mainstreem bikes get made from it.

Or maybe you’re just trolling.

alpin
    Free Member

my DB Alpine frame weighs…. er…. doesn’t matter. i know the complete bike weighs 15.2kg, but it is built for throwing down mountains, not jey-boying around the woods behind swindon….

nmdbase
    Free Member

^5.5lbs

letmetalktomark

Think this badboy is about 6lbs of finest gas pipe.

Still enjoying riding it though 8)

takisawa2

A well specced build based on a well designed 6lb frame can feel better than a poorly specced build on a 3lb Ti frame.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

6lb steel frames I don’t get it. Explain it to me.

Don’t be a cheap ass tight wad and only buy a cheap steel frame. The nice ones weight much less than that!

mrmo
    Free Member

my bonty is around the 4.5lb mark?

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

takisawa2 – Member
    A well specced build based on a well designed 6lb frame can feel better than a poorly specced build on a 3lb Ti frame.

This.

bri-72

I’ve just sold a Lynskey ti frame for £600 just didn’t like it. A mk1 steel PA felt just so much nicer at a tenth of the price. Who’d have thunk it. The PA – solid, softer more compliant ride, better tracking IMO. The Ti456 felt skittery and nervous, and a much harsher ride. Just my view on what works for me.

cyclebiker

I have a Evil sovereign it is a little on the heavy side, which does slow me down on the ups… but it does give you confidence in the downy bits. swings and roundabouts really. second bike is a Rock Lobster Team Tig, only 1.5Kg frame, perfect for riding with the old man on the roads.

ahwiles
    Free Member

my blue pig frame is probably around 6lbs, it’s bloody brilliant.

climbs well too.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

& I thought my Fleet custom fillet brazed Tange Prestige job was heavy at 4.75lbs! I’t’s been to Chamonix & didn’t break even with my fat ar$e on it!
    Either I ride like a tart or some people are riding shoddy frames! (& it aint the former)

monkeyboyjc

My Humming Bird is just under 6lbs with a the EBB – doesnt feel it though, its built into a 27lbs bike and i’ve owned heavier and lighter bikes in the past which havent ridden as well.

Picto
    Free Member

Inbred 29er not far off 6lbs for the frame. Superb riding bike when built up.

Mbnut
    Free Member

My Sov is built up with a Hammerschitch, a dropper and comes in at 30lbs….. for some it would be pointless but for me it is quite simply awesome.

A lightweight HT with a steep head angle and a light build would be pointless for me and IMHO isn’t faster xc racing than a 100mm travel rig so really doesn’t make sense.

Each to their own huh….

Any bike is a good bike if you get out and enjoy it…. bling sat in the garage is the most pointless of all..

tazzymtb

Any bike is a good bike if you get out and enjoy it…. bling sat in the garage is the most pointless of all.

common sense on singletrack!

*looks out of window for flying pigs or a horned deity from the underworld commuting to work on a snowplough*

dlr

mbnut has been around a long time so is very wise 😉

kudos100
    Free Member

My sovereign weighs a ton. The spot on geometry and the fact that I doubt I will ever break it makes up for it.

A lot of folk on here seem to fall into the xc mincer, trail rider category, so heavy steel frame is pointless if you are not ragging the shit out of it.

loum
    Free Member

Fun is the enjoyment of pleasure and, according to Johan Huizinga, “an absolutely primary category of life, familiar to everybody at a glance right down to the animal level.”[1] Fun may be encountered in many human activities during work, social functions, recreation and play, and even seemingly mundane activities of daily living. The distinction between enjoyment and fun is difficult to articulate but real,[2] fun being a more spontaneous, playful, or active event. The perception of time is shortened when one is “having fun”

From Wikipedia

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I currently have an alu mmmbop, alu Garyu Fisher Big Sur, and an alu Pitch Pro.

I just fancied steel. However, I remember a time when Tange Prestige and Columbus True Temper and Reynolds frames weighing less than 5lbs were cheaper and more widely available. Now it seems they are all porky 6lb’ers. Though if the blue pig is just 5.5lbs for an 18in I might still include it in my possible list – since I like the mmmbop so much…

Anyone have a Sanderson Blitz 18in on the scale?

Why do steel frames need to be 6lbs? I still don’t get it. 5 to 5.5lbs would still surely build a steel frame stronger than a 4lb aluminium one?

I just can’t reconcile aftermarket and boutique (albeit at the lower end) with 6lbs of weight.

tazzymtb

what boutique frames are you lookin at that are 6lbs steel beasts?

ahwiles
    Free Member

wtf is boutique?

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I said the lower end of boutique and so I was referring to Blue Pig, Blitz etc., which I percieve to be low end boutique. But you can supplant boutique with just plain old aftermarket.

soobalias
    Free Member

i got a nice light 6lb steel frame as i get tired peddling my 9.5lb frame around all day

edit: hardtail is 5.5 and the FS is 9.3, ive been told a million times not to exaggerate. if you put them together they weigh as much as me.

Northwind

van cough cough – Member

I don’t get it. Explain it to me.

Simple- not everyone trusts, likes the look of, or can afford carbon fibre 😉

GW
    Free Member

been riding a 7.8lb steel frame today.. my back hurts 😳

skiboy
    Free Member

i was out in the mud this morning on my Evil Sov, 6+lbs but who cares, didn’t feel any different
    from last week riding my 2012 heckler,

weight just isn’t an issue, but was smiling a hole lot more today than last weekend on the SC

rootes1

wtf is boutique?

Boutique = add ££££ for low production run frames made in the same factories as all the other mass production run frames but in different colours with cool stickers…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘6lb steel frames…’ is closed to new replies.